Winding Road

Dangerous Territory

Fact: June - October 2012 -- K-Pop Star Audition applications + Preliminary auditions

- - -

The following weeks to come wasn't very memorable. It was mainly episodes of Yunho and BoA avoiding each other pretty much. 

How they managed to never meet each other in the company or music studios was harder to set up than scheduling seven events in one day. Aside from that, dodging questions from concerned labelmates became a big problem for the two as well. They were only lucky that their fellow friends were equally sympathetic that none of these 'conflicts' were released at the press and became an issue nationwide. At least under the public's eyes, they were still considered as bestfriends with perfect relationship when in reality, it was a foundation that was slowly falling apart. 

Since SM Town  concerts have always been a very big event for the company, it has been their only chance to interact with one another. Subtly, as much as possible, they let their gazes linger. If Yunho's lucky, maybe he can even talk to BoA for a little bit. Anything he can do to avoid anymore awkwardness between them. 

But as to be expected, BoA made it clear to set the line between them and before realizing it, BoA became busy recording her K-Pop Star show,  giving them less and less time to see each other.

And then few months have passed. 

It was end of October. She was left at the studio, later than usual after mentoring a few hopefuls from her show. She was busy running over her list and jotting down some notes on her clipboard when the door creaked open. 

He was holding his phone, preoccupied reading some messages that when he finally lifted up his gaze and saw BoA at the middle of the practice room, it shocked him close to fainting.

'It's late, w-what are you still doing here?' Yunho stammered, slipping his phone back into his pocket. 

Their interactions was so minimal for so long that when Yunho started talking to her normally, it genuinely warmed her heart. Since the 'confrontation' from their Japan concert, they've never really exchanged light hearted conversation like this. In a way, she missed her bestfried. 

BoA smiled. 'I guess I was too busy taking down notes that I didn't notice the time,' she answered truthfully. Once she gets so immersed with work, she tends to forget everything. 

Yunho let a few moments pass by before speaking again. 'Should I... Should I leave so you can finish your work?' BoA looked at him evenly, measuring how she should answer him in this situation. She still felt uncomfortable around him but at the back of her mind, she wanted him close. It vexed her that this yearning even crossed her mind and she started to panic at the thought. 

Before BoA could decide, Yunho's phone rang. He was conflicted whether to answer it or not, now that he's  finally alone with BoA and having a decent conversation with her. It was a rare chance and he didn't want to let it slip by. 

'Are you not gonna answer it?'

'Ah yeah, sorry...' He replied, a little bit panicked. He forced a smile as he reluctantly picked up his phone. 'I'll talk to you later, Ara,' he whispered in a rush without even looking on the screen. It was as if he expected her call and that little detail intrigued BoA. 

My bestfriend and Yunho?

BoA shook her head dismissively and gathered all her notes, preparing to leave the studio, in a sudden foul mood. She didn't like what she was feeling. She was in no position to feel... bothered. But that's exactly what her heart was conveying right now and she hated it. She needed to stop it and the only way to do so was to get away from him.  

Yunho, on the other hand, didn't notice BoA's sudden change in mood as a result to Ara's call. He thought she was still convicted about avoiding him, that he didn't even attempt to stop or speak with her as she started gathering her stuff. It was natural for her to avoid him. It has been like that for a couple of months now anyway. There was nothing for him to say

His lack of fervor, however, irked BoA. He just looked at her as she was about to make her way for the exit. Surprisingly, before she could even take two steps, Yunho grabbed her hand unexpectedly. She stopped and turned to him with anticipation. 

'Don't worry about me. I'm okay. Really... So let's go back to how it used to be, okay?' He whispered. It took everything for him to say those words. He would rather have her as a friend than lose her completely. 

He's giving up because love knows when it's time to let go. 

BoA bit her lip and merely nodded her head in response. Somehow, that wasn't what she was expecting for him to say. 

 



What was there to say? 

 



She smiled weakly and walked away without another word. 

He waited until she was out of his eyesight when Yunho finally pulled his phone and made a phonecall. 

'Yeah it's me. I'm sorry I hanged up earlier... No... I'm okay and it's fine.' Yunho paused to listen to the other line. 'That's fine Ara. I'll go meet you up at the same place. See you in a bit.'

BoA had her back against the door and listened quietly to their conversation. Why she's doing it or even bothered to stay so was beyond her. But one thing was for sure, listening on them made her heart throb. And although she didn't have the right to feel this way nor to acknowledge it, she can't deny that she was... hurt

Unexpectedly, she's now standing on a winding road.

 

*

 

Author's Note:

I think I will update this story as fast as I can from now on. I don't think there's any use delaying this story anymore. HAHAHAHA. Thank you for reading :3