Only One

Dangerous Territory

Fact: February 6 -- Yunho's birthday.

- - - 

'BoA.'

His voice echoed in her ears like a dream about to evaporate. BoA gripped a portion of her clothing in a tense anticipation for his next words.

'What are you doing here?'

BoA opened to answer but held herself back right after. She wanted to tell him so much that her heart was about to explode. However at that moment, her mind went blank. She was so afraid to tell him the wrong thing, afraid to be misunderstood. It made her mad about herself.

She looked around for a distraction when she noticed that Yunho was holding a plastic bag on both hands.

'Are those booze?' She managed to squeak pointing at them.

Yunho's eyes never left her. 'I was planning to celebrate my birthday after all. What are you doing here?'

His replies were curt. He had no intention to play around even if it was BoA.

It was because it's BoA.

The little giant casually looked at her watch and saw that it was almost midnight. Almost his birthday.

'Let's celebrate your birthday together!' She exclaimed but it was obvious she was trying too hard.

Yunho let out a deep sigh. 'What do you want?'

BoA stayed quiet, measuring the gravity of the moment. She clearly saw the pain in his eyes and she honestly didn't want to add to that.

'I... I wanted to tell you something.'

He pursed his lips in silent astonishment. He can't decide if she came to bring him good news or to crush his heart even more than it already was. If she was here to tell him about that man, he honestly wouldn't know how he'll survive it. At the same time, BoA reaching out for him after shunning him for so long was something he craved from deep down. Such an attractive gamble.

'Yunho, please...'

He held her gaze for a second more before he walked past her to open the door for the unlikely guest. Maybe he'll just regret this later. Then again, what is regret if it means a moment with her.

'For old time's sake.'

'For old time's sake...' BoA repeated bitterly.

It was dark inside. A dim pin light was the only thing illuminating the living room. She glanced around and saw more empty beer cans tossed at the sides. She wouldn't say Yunho's the tidy type of guy but he's certainly not this messy.

He was a mess.

Earlier, she even noticed that Yunho didn't shave for today and his shirt fell uneven near his waist in a failed attempt to button the ends of his shirt properly. She wondered how Changmin had reacted to all this.

BoA chose not to say anything in the end.

After a while, Yunho came back from the kitchen carrying an ice bucket and empty glasses for the two of them. He hasn't said a word since and just worked around, clearing the space for BoA. It was an eerie silence that could split her eardrums.

Once done, Yunho slumped on the long couch and proceeded pouring himself a drink. 'Sit, wherever you feel comfortable.'

Without thinking, she sat beside him. Like she used to. Surprised, Yunho casually moved to the side, creating an apparent distance between them.

Without a clear plan, BoA grabbed a beer can and finished it in no time. She didn't even bother pouring it into a glass. When done, she wiped and darted a sharp glance to her side. Yunho wasn't looking at her and she could definitely feel the uncomfortable air around him.

Being her competitive self, she wouldn't let this awkward atmosphere beat her. She grabbed another can of beer and drank it all in three huge gulps. By then, she was feeling a little bit light headed. She was tired from her earlier flight and she couldn't eat a lot for dinner as well. She knew it was not the ideal situation to get drunk but forget logic.

Yunho watched her discreetly at the corner of his eyes. He was anxious himself, trying to prepare himself for the blow. It was no competition but he wouldn't let his nerves beat him, too.

The two didn't exchange a single word for quite sometime until finally, BoA was able to loosen up. Feeling warm, she took off her jacket and threw it to the empty couch beside her. She fished inside her tiny purse and got an elastic band that she used to put up her hair into a messy bun.

'What are you doing?'

'Shut up, I feel hot. When I'm hot, I get in a foul mood and I'm sure you wouldn't want to see that.'

Yunho chuckled at the feisty woman beside him. He took one last gulp before he leaned back to his seat. He spread his arms and anchored it on top of the couch. BoA noticed that it was his most relaxed position yet and she was glad that Yunho was letting go of the strain in his body.

He closed his eyes and remained quiet. Just listening to the soft rustling of fabric as BoA moved right beside him. Her warmth felt different especially when she leaned her head to rest on his chest.

Yunho didn't dare open his eyes, afraid that all this would disappear and the harsh reality would crash in again. But he realized that his agony would only stretch for another eternity if he would cling to his foolish hope.

'Did you meet him in Japan?' He breathed.

'That already? I haven't even greeted you a happy birthday, yet.'

Yunho was reminded how impossible it was to win against this tiny lady. It made him smile. 'Thank you.'

Another silence engulfed the moment. BoA stared into space, thinking. 'Truthfully, I almost forgot it was your birthday.'

'Wow. Is this my cue to finally end our friendship, then?' He joked with a hearty laugh, BoA wasn't reciprocating.

'Should we really?'

Yunho opened his eyes only to find BoA peering at him. He couldn't read the expression in her eyes but he wouldn't try and force himself to understand.

'Should we, really?' She repeated.

Yunho was mad that the ball was tossed to his court. That it was up to him to decide their own destiny. He could just simply treat this as a joke, but he knew that this was more than an in passing comment coming from her. That there was definitely a reason for her to say that. And he was so afraid to confirm his suspicions.

Yunho pulled his arm and rested them on his side. Both of them were now simply sitting side by side, not even looking at each other anymore.

BoA felt the hesitation coming from him. Giving up, she grabbed another beer and started taking huge gulps again.

'I wasn't aware that you knew I went to Japan to meet with someone,' she said all of a sudden. 'I just learned about it today from my manager.'

'I apologize for getting into your business.'

'Mmmm...' She moaned as she shook her head. 'I'm sorry you had to learn about it that way.' BoA fought hard to steady her voice. She so desperately wanted to tell him what really happened in Japan but she wasn't sure how to begin.

Should she just go ahead and tell him her true feelings? Everything she learned about herself while in Japan? What good would it bring to their relationship? Especially that he might find it as just an excuse. Did she actually reach a dead end and now all she can ever do was trust their fate?

But that's absurd because she should make her own destiny. To let him know that he's the one -- the only one. Not some random guy she doesn't even remember.

She gently touched his hand and squeezed it tight. Words. Words won't be enough. She wanted to let him know through her actions. To completely lift the fog clouding his eyes so he can finally see the road that leads to her. So that he can see that she's there to welcome him with open arms.

'I went to Japan to meet with you.'

BoA felt his body tense up at her confession. She took a quick peek at him and saw a hardened look on his face. So much has happened that Yunho wouldn't trust his own judgement that might betray him in the end. This sounded more like a joke than anything.

'BoA, I know what I saw through those pictures and unless your purpose for coming here was to shower me with your pity, you can save yourself the trouble.'

He yanked his hand away from her and stood up to gesture for her to leave the apartment. It was terrible.

'You seriously want me to leave?!' BoA screamed in mock astonishment. 'You do know that as soon as I leave through that door that we're over, right?!' She was seething with anger as she stared at him in complete defiance.

'There was no 'we', BoA.' He said sadly, shaking his head.

Aggravated, BoA stood from her sit to stand face to face with Yunho. Her eyes were red and she knew she was about to cry any minute now.

Her hands trembled uncontrollably when Yunho grabbed them, pulling her towards the exit. Having had enough, BoA broke his grip and pushed him.

'How dare you say that to me...'

Yunho glared at her. 'What?! You think it was easy for me, too?' he spat, breathing harshly. 'God BoA... I love you! I love you for half of my life and for me to just let you go... It's as if I'm killing myself.'

Yunho looked crippled by the pain in his heart and it took all his energy not to cry in front of her. To not let her feel guilty as she saw how broken he was.

'Listen to me--'

'No, you listen. I'm letting you go. I'm finally letting you go so please...' He pleaded. 'I don't want it to reach the point where I just snap and start kissing you before I can stop myself and ruin everything.' He felt so disgusted with himself that he wanted to disappear.

'Yunho!' BoA screamed in frustration. 'Nobody's stopping you, can't you take a hint?!'

Yunho blinked a couple of times. 'Okay that's it. You're drunk and you don't know what you're talking about anymore.'

BoA can't believe that he would rival her own stubbornness.

Yunho gripped her arm again, determined to drag her out of the apartment. She tried to pull herself away from him. After a series of  struggling, she was able to free herself and tried to hide from him by running towards his bedroom, prepared to lock herself until she knocks some sense out of him. Unfortunately for her, Yunho was too fast and before she was able to close the door, he was already looming in front of her.

BoA stepped back when he tried to reach for her but both of them accidentally tripped over a piece of clothing sprawled on the floor.

BoA expected to be hurt by the impact but it seemed like Yunho broke the fall for her. When she opened her eyes, she saw Yunho's arms wrapped around her protectively. He was trembling and she could feel something moist around her neck.

He was crying.

Yunho wiped his eyes in a rush and helped BoA to stand up. Limping, she directed her towards the bed.

'Stay then.'

'What about you?'

He paused and turned his back from her. 'Don't worry. You don't have to know.'

Before Yunho can walk away, BoA hugged him from behind. She refused to let go.

'Don't go. Stay. Stay by my side like you used to, forever!'

Yunho closed his eyes. 'You know if I could I would. But that's just unfair for the both of us.'

'Can you please stop saying that!' She grimaced. She walked around him to face him evenly.

If it were any other day, she would've regretted such boldness but not today. Words won't be enough to someone that won't listen. She needed to be rash -- direct.

Casting away her pride, BoA tip toed and wrapped her arms around Yunho's neck and before he realize what was happening, BoA's lips touched his.

 

*

 

Author's Note:

And it finally happened! HAHA! Also, thank you for the 5k views. Woot! That felt real good. HAHA!

Anyway, imma tell you this right now. There are a total for 22 chapters for this fic so yeah. We're finally seeing the ending to this story. Hoping it'll be a happy ending! Hihi! Thank you so much for your kind comments and attention <3