Between Heaven and Hell

Dangerous Territory

Ara closed the door behind her. Her tight grip on the doorknob drained the color from her hand. She didn't realize it until she felt the knob turn against her palm. She jumped a little, overtaken by surprise. As she turned around, the door swung open and Yunho emerged from it throwing an embrace her way, enveloping her small frame completely.

It was almost as if he was crushing her. She could feel him trembling and then she just started to feel the magnitude of his feelings pouring on her that she started crying.

This was it.

At the back of her mind, she knew this was bound to happen. That foreseeable future with him was definitely materializing before her and she have prepared for it. She knew that in this string of fate, one was destined to suffer and be burdened by pain and a heartbreak.

It was inevitable.

That in the end, there can only be one man and woman to nourish a loving heart. She knew it was coming and she has to accept that. She has chosen this path and any regrets would be unacceptable.


 


Yunho breathed her name. That sweet voice that always made her feelings soar, somehow made her heart ache this time.

Her fingers travelled across his back. His grip became tighter and his suffocating scent filled her senses. She shut her eyes as a lump formed in .

How can she even help herself not to say those words? She held herself back as long as she could, shaking her head in agony.

'Let me love you for one more day,' she finally whispered, her voice unsteady. She didn't know Yunho could embrace her even tighter than before. Tears were squeezed out from her eyes and it just continued to flow silently. Just like how silent he was, unable to answer her pleads.

She slipped her hands in between them and pushed him away. His eyes were red. His lips quivering slightly, too. It was painful to look at him. He looked so apologetic, like an angel stripped off of his wings.

Ara smiled as a stake pierced her heart because she knew his silence only meant he couldn't accept her feelings...

When she finally decided to tell Yunho that she was in love with him a couple of moments ago, Ara didn't have any expectations that he would reciprocate her affections. Because he was in love with BoA.

That was crystal clear.

The only reason they were even spending so much time together in the first place was because of that link.

Both of them, by a cruel twist of fate, are BoA's bestfriends.

Her mind and logic worked perfectly. Ara knew just where she stands -- outside that delicate bubble they both have. She knew that even before BoA could acknowledge her feelings for Yunho, there's already a sense of familiarity and affection she often showed whenever he was around.

Ara never failed to note how BoA always becomes chipper and brighter whenever in his presence. How she smiled even more and talked about him relentlessly without noticing. The way she blushed as their eyes lingered. The way her face lit up beside him...

Her mind and logic worked perfectly well. It was Ara's heart that couldn't seem to follow it and it bled for him in yearning.

'Yunho...'

'I'm so sorry Ara... For doing this awful thing to you... It wasn't my intention to make you suffer because of me...' Yunho fought hard not to cry. He's not entitled to this kind of mercy when it was him who brought all this pain to Ara. Yet, a tear escaped his eyes. He was quick to wipe it away.

He remained rooted on the ground. It would be better if Ara would just slap him across the face but he saw her smiling face instead. Her feature was peaceful and he felt that she was letting go of her feelings to free him of any guilt. That she would be okay after this.

And he started to believe that.

Her smile that hid her heartache so he wouldn't figure out her heart... She was determined not to move or hope for him any longer even if in truth, she could never really let go of that love.

They spent another long minute just staring at each other before Ara pushed him lightly towards the door.

'Thank you for dropping me off. What I said earlier on the way, just forget about that already, okay?' Yunho didn't say anything. 'I love you. It was enough for me to just say that, really! So don't feel like you owe me anything,' she paused by just a bit. 'You don't.'

Yunho reached for her one last time and embraced her. 'Thank you, Ara...'

He didn't stay long afterwards and as soon as he was out of her sight, she collapsed and fell on her knees. She cried herself out that day, hopelessly calling for his name she knew would never answer to her desperate cry.

But it was better that way. Everything's how it should be from the very beginning... That's why she wouldn't fight for him.


 



And so after that,  as she stood in front of BoA right this moment, she didn't have to face her with a shameful heart any longer. She was glad she didn't end up betraying their friendship. It wasn't easy but at least she could talk to BoA like this once again.

'Unnie, we need to talk...' Ara's voice sounded a bit hesitant but as she looked at BoA's face, she knew BoA understood her sincere intention for this.

'Yeah, we have to.'

The younger lady was glad that the little giant took her well. That instead of shunning her, BoA was rather accommodating. Ara felt a huge burden finally being lifted off her shoulders, an indication that she's doing the right thing.

She was about to say something else when Taemin started calling out for BoA's name.

'What's wrong?'

'Ah, the Director wanted to see you noona,' Taemin narrated as he smiled at Ara's direction with a slight bow.

BoA shifted her eyes between Taemin and Ara, a bit conflicted. She bit her lip as she tried to get her mind to work.

'Wait here,' BoA said abruptly, turning around. She was out of sight for a few minutes. 'Here,' she began, handing her a pair of tickets as soon as she came back. 'Those are tickets for my upcoming concert. I hope you and Yunho could come...' BoA trailed off.

She'll meet them -- together.

Because She's slowly able to  let go...

Ara had a melancholic smile and was about to say something when Teamin interrupted her.

'Noona... The director...'

'Ah, yeah. Ara,' BoA said, touching her bestfriend's shoulder, 'we'll talk again soon, okay?'

The younger lady sighed. 'Yeah, it's long overdue.'

The little giant returned a meaningful smile before leaving together with Taemin.

Ara watched her bestfriend's back from a distance, glad that it wasn't because of a permanent goodbye. And until that next meeting, she'll try her hardest to lift herself up between heaven and hell.

Towards her own happiness. Even if it means letting go.

 

*

 

Author's Note:

A bit late but... HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME! Here, have some angst. HAHA! Anyway, a short flashback. Sorry if it seemed confusing at first. LOL!

ANYWAY, a bit of BoShi (BoA + SNSD) next chapter! And then snarky Changmin strikes again! Can't wait to upload the next chapter. HAHA! Thanks for reading!