Shopping for Moods

The Equation of Time

 

 

Ji hyo waved her hand on the energetic girl who was now running off to her classroom. Hyo Jong looks bright and happy these days. She didn’t have any tantrums, nor can Ji Hyo remember Hyo Jong crying except that night when they had a little misunderstanding. Obviously, it was because Jong kook was giving her more attention. Her daughter was now staying away from junk foods and eating vegetables bit by bit, although she knew it was not voluntary. Ji hyo can feel her eyes b with tears. She was so grateful that she tore up those divorce papers. How can she even think of it? No matter what, she silently promised to stay by his side for Hyo Jong. She knows her efforts alone won’t ever make her daughter happy. Not as happy as the two of her parents together can ever do. Ji hyo’s thoughts trailed off as her phone vibrated. She could think of only one person who knew her enough to call her at the time. “Hello, Ji min-ah…”

“Oh, unnie… How come you know it’s me? I just changed my number.”

“You are the only one who still calls me these days. Especially at this time, aren’t you busy?”

“Aw, unnie…  I really missed you. And hey, it’s my off, so hang out with me like always?”

“You are done with your drama? You must be tired. I don’t want to disturb you.”

“No, haha unnie… I feel tired of missing you. Meet you at the usual place ‘kay?”

Neh, see you later. Take care Ji min-ah.” Ji hyo gave one last glance at the direction Hyo Jong ran off to and turned away to meet up her best friend of ten years.

 

​--------------------

 

Ji hyo quietly sipped the ice cold Americano and felt the caffeine rushing in her veins. She relished the quiet moment and looked at the busy street of Hong Dae. She never really understood Ji min’s fascination with the place. It was crowded, full of weird young people, noisy, the band Mecca of Seoul, and a place that attract many paparazzi – it’s fun but can be a headache for celebrities. She would have loved it years ago, but now she was at an age where she preferred a more peaceful ambiance. The place just makes her feel old and she can’t cope up with the hype.

 

Unnie! Ji hyo unnie!” Ji min ran to her bursting with energy. They hugged each other catching the attention of college students who now looked at them with quiet interest. “Oh, Ji min-ah… You, you look so fabulous! I guess Yoo Chun-ah is taking really good care of you.” The younger woman blushed bright red as she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. “Aigoo unnie, it’s not really like that…” Ji hyo cocked her brows, she knows the woman better than she knows her own self. “Okay, okay, we… we are going out.”

Sincha? Wow, that’s good news! I’m so happy for you Ji min-ah…” The two woman hugged unaware of the scene they were creating – two stunning middle aged women giggling like schoolgirls in the middle of a coffee shop – a sight to behold especially for the young males in every corner. Now the burly man, Ji min’s manager, looked at everyone as if daring him or her to take a shot as he flexed his muscles. The women finally felt that all eyes are on them and they embarrassedly sat down, grinning like idiots. This is why the two of them gets along so well. They were both the sisters each other never had. “Keke unnie, I was being careless… Let’s sit down before we attract any more of an audience.”

“Right, and before your new manager snaps in two.” Ji hyo and Ji min sat down. The older one pushed forward a cup of mocha frappe to the younger one. “Thank you unnie, you haven’t forgotten my favorite.”

“Pfft… how could I forget? But you, you are trying to divert the topic about Yoo Chun-ah. He is a good kid, a noona lover and greasy guy though, but those boys have been really good to me. Ji min-ah you two are so perfect together. Everyone supports you and the fans are dying to marry you off to him, unlike Jong kook and…” Ji hyo paused. She should be congratulating her dongsaeng rather than recounting her sob story again like she always ended up doing when they are together, “I mean I really want you to be happy nae dongsaeng.” Ji min tenderly looked at Ji hyo gauging her mood. She is all too familiar with Ji hyo's married life since she always tried to interrogate her of every little detail. She loves her unnie so much that if the older one hadn’t forbade her and made her swear with her life, she would be more than happy to make Jong kook’s sorry to fly out to the moon.

“Yah Ji min-ah, did you call me out here so we could stare at the floor?” Ji min’s smile came back and a realization that something was odd struck her. Ji hyo always tries so hard to hide her emotions but the way she looks today is different. She didn’t notice it right away but there was something in the way she smiled. The way she looked at her phone, like she was waiting for a call, and when she checks her watch every five minute or so. Or that lively aura which she hadn’t seen for a long time. She is even wearing make-up which she had long ago confessed into hating. “Unnie, did something happen?”

“What are you talking about?”

“You look like a woman... with a man. I haven’t noticed it right away but you are glowing that womanly glow.”

 

Ji hyo almost sprayed her coffee at Ji min. The younger one was getting franker by day. “Yah, Ji minie, I have a husband and I'm pretty sure he is a man.”

“Are you having an affair unnie? You know you can tell me and I won't blame you.”

“What nonsense are you saying? I am not having an affair and I am not going through divorce. I decided to stay and give him a chance.” Ji min’s jaw dropped. She totally forgot about her unnie’s divorce issues.

 

Unnie, I really forgot about it my goodness, but what happened? You have to tell me. I haven’t seen you for only a month and last time we met, you were crying about that divorce and now, you have a lot of explaining to do unnie. Did he threaten you? Are you cheating on him for revenge? How’s Hyo Jong-ah?”

“Yah, are we in court? I’ll tell you the story but let’s go shopping and have some fun. People are already looking at us weirdly…”

 

​--------------------

 

Ji hyo and Ji min looked like twins as they tried on their new outfits. They giggled amongst the frills and ribbons in their favorite shop. Here and then Ji min would ask Ji hyo about Jong kook but the older one ignored her. “Ji min, shopping is my affair… My family doesn’t have to be mixed in this. Later I’ll tell you.” They continued to walk and scan more shops in Hong Dae. The youthful aura of the place had rubbed off on the two women and they felt like they were teens again. They both ended up in a park and Ji min smiled widely at Ji hyo. “Unnie, this park is almost empty of people… now my story.”

“I’ll call my husband first. I have to tell him to pick up Hyo Jong.” The younger one watched Ji hyo call her husband. She wondered if Hyo Jong was the reason she kept on looking at her phone a while ago. When Jong kook answered the phone Ji hyo’s face literally lit up. Her tone became a pitch higher as she talked to him. It was subtle changes but nothing escaped Ji min’s eyes. When Ji hyo finished the call, Ji min was grinning at her.

 

Unnie, I won’t accuse you of having an affair with someone anymore, but tell me, what miracle happened for that Jong kook to make you smile like this?” Ji hyo recounted the past week and how everything was like a dream. She cut out the Frozen Flower and bedroom parts but bared everything that was left to her best friend. “Unnie! Unnie! I am so happy for you, but then… he never told you that he loves you?”

“Ji min-ah… when the two of us started we were also like this. We are best friends and I never liked him too – well I thought I didn’t. We never said ‘I love you’ before either but we just have it in us. I honestly don’t know what happened to him but it feels like a new start and I won’t jeopardize that even if it is too good to be true. I want Hyo Jong to have a father.”

Unnie you truly love him.” Ji min gave her a big hug. She still hates the guy but if he can make her best friend happy, then she just have to accept it. “Neh, I love him… I really do, Ji min-ah despite everything.” Then they started laughing away the tears. They talked some more about Yoo Chun, their other friends, who’s dating who in the industry and other girl stuff. It was almost four in the afternoon when they finally thought of leaving. “Unnie, I have to go now…”

Neh Ji min ah… Come I’ll give you a ride. You haven’t brought your car right?”

“Umm, unnie actually Chunnie said he’ll fetch me.”

“Oh, good… at least I can give him a word or two.” They walked hand in hand enjoying the rare time they had. When they arrived at the place where Ji hyo had parked her car, a familiar figure was standing there. “Omma!” Hyo Jong happily ran to Ji hyo while she dragged her father. “Ji hyo-yah, she said we should come and get you… umm we are going to buy some stuff and Hyo Jong wanted you to come.” Jong kook shyly looked at the other woman with his wife. He was familiar with her since he saw pictures of them together on the internet. “Hello Ji min-ssi… are you two done?”

“Oh, of course Jong kook-ssi. I’m waiting for my friend but you three can go ahead. Ah wait a second…” Ji min suddenly pulled Ji hyo in a corner and spoke in a hushed tone, leaving Jong kook bemused although he had an inkling that it was about him. He even swore he saw Ji min glare at him but he just smiled it off, “Unnie, he is really different, miraculous different. What have you done to make that bastard –”

“Sssh! They can hear you and Hyo Jong is here. I told you he is different, well not really different, but he is like back to his old self.” Ji min sighed, she still wants more time to grill her unnie but Hyo Jong is now impatiently thumping her feet with her hands crossed. “Okay, until next time then. Now if he makes you cry again –”

“It’d be fine, you take care Ji min-ah and say hi to Yoo Chun-ah for me. If you see the others tell them to visit this lonely noona, and you let’s meet again when we are not too busy.”

Neh unnie.” the two women hugged and the family said goodbye to the dear friend who still gave Jong kook death glares.

 

​--------------------

 

“Ji hyo-yah, I’m sorry that we had to disturb you. Err hyo Jong and I were going buy some stuff in the grocery but she said we should get you too. Bong dal had my car repaired so I needed yours, err...” he knows he is overdoing it and luckily she didn't seem to mind. Jong kook winked at Hyo Jong when Ji hyo turned to their daughter. Earlier when Jong kook picked up Hyo Jong, he was thinking of a plan to convince Ji hyo to give the script a chance. He knows he has to create the right mood before going near the subject. Without revealing the manuscript part, he asked his daughter on how to make her omma’s mood better. Without hesitation, the girl answered ‘shopping’. Jong kook didn’t know a thing about women and shopping except that men around him had always told him to stay away from it. He knows grocery. The father daughter duo just agreed that shopping and grocery are just the same since they involve buying stuff. He grinned. His daughter will grow up to be a good actress.

Omma, I saw Giraffe samchon and Yuri unnie go to grocery before.”

“Ah that one… Jong kook remember back in Running man when Gwang soo-yah and Yuri-ssi went shopping for our camping episode? I guess that’s what Hyo Jong means. Anyway we are short on some items so this is a good timing.” Jong kook didn’t know what they were really talking about since he hasn’t seen that episode and it wasn’t part of the plan. In a way, it was a blessing in disguise and he felt proud of Hyo Jong's fast thinking. The little angel has the smarts just like him. He only hoped he wouldn’t blow it if Hyo Jong asks him to play a scene from Running man again.

 

The trio arrived in a mall and was looking for an empty parking slot. Jong kook felt intimidated at the towering parking building. He pressed the brake a little bit too hard before the tollgate earning a crisp swear from the back. “Ow damn! Yah! Jong kook are you trying to –”

“Ji hyo-yah! The language please!”

“Jong kook-ah! The driving please!” Ji hyo said in a mocking tone as she imitated him. That felt good to her. He didn't get mad and Ji hyo wanted to test how far she can tread the water. Hyo Jong only looked interchangeably at her parents, but gripped her seatbelt a little tighter, just in case.

 

Jong kook looked lost as he stared at the machine that was supposed to let them enter into the parking. He read the directions but the impatient blabbering of Ji hyo was confusing him. “Jong kook-ah, why are you staring at that machine? For god’s sake, if you don’t have coins you should’ve asked me! Good thing no one’s behind us.” Ji hyo couldn’t hide the irritation in her voice. She wanted to test his patience but he is really annoying her. She handed him some change and he pushed it down the chute. A card suddenly popped out and Jong kook almost jumped in surprise. Jong kook calmed his nerves discreetly but it didn’t go unnoticed by Ji hyo. She didn’t know though why she didn’t ask him. Instead, she kept the little observation to herself. After the advance-break-slowdown-advance-sudden-break, they finally parked the car on the highest floor. Jong kook staggered as his feet touched the ground. His ashen face gaped at the floors below them. His time did have multi-deck parking buildings but not as high as eight floors. Ji hyo’s car didn’t made things easier either since the machine seemed determined to make it hard for him. The metal piece must have gotten it badly from the owner.

 

“Jong kook, seriously, later I'll drive us home before you kill us all.” Ji hyo glared at him and he could only follow behind her like a scolded kid.

 

Omma! I want chocolate milk!” Jong kook didn’t even dare glance where Hyo Jong was pointing. He just can’t look at the pack of sugar disguising itself as ‘healthy milk’. “Hyo Jong, how about we swap those chocolate drinks with soymilk? It tastes really good.”

“B-but appa, I hate anything that tastes like tofu!”

“Please baby girl, for appa. We’ll get some chocolate milk but just two – the rest of the week, you drink soymilk and I’ll play with you whenever you want. I’ll even let you style my hair, neh?”

“Style your hair? Like I can put pins in it?” Jong kook was taken aback as Hyo Jong’s eyes looked like they were flaming. It was as if it was her dream to play with his hair. Does he really want that? Reluctantly he nods. “Deal! I’ll tell omma to buy me pinkie pins for you appa.” Uh-oh…

 

Omma! Can I have fruity loopy?” Hyo Jong beamed at Ji hyo from her seat on the pushcart. Jong kook’s gaze wandered on the box’s nutrition facts and was horrified at what he saw. “Hyo Jong-ah, how about this cereal? It’s fibrous with calcium and lots of vitamins… that loopy is junk and won’t even make you full.”  

“B-but appa that one is tasteless…”

“Yah, Jong kook… are you trying to feed your daughter dietary cereal? Those are meant for adults! Quit trying to swap the items, just stop being a health nut crazy bas –”.

“The language Ji hyo!”

“The nagging Jong kook!” Jong kook was lost. He was just trying to prolong their lifespan, what was so wrong about that? Why can’t they see that he cares? Jong kook can only scowl as he watched in horror as the cart he is pushing gets piled up with chips, chocolates, condiments, butter, preservatives, ramen and instant everything. He wondered why almost all the food he used to enjoy home cooked can now be bought in foils. He shuddered as the torture continued. Little did he know that Ji hyo was silently enjoying his tortured expression. It was not because she harbored a deep grudge on him, although she does hate him a little bit, but it was fun and cute.

 

“Good work Ji hyo-yah!”

“Don’t we work so well together oppa?”

“Of course we do so well because you are the ace and I am the commander. We are the perfect duo.” Ji hyo sneaked a glance at the man beside her while she tried her best to appear nonchalant. She was acutely aware of how close they were walking together as they push the lone cart. The sides of their hand brushed each other and the connection made Ji hyo feel giddy. The butterflies in her stomach had now started a wild party within her which was driving her crazy. She wondered why she was like that when they were together. It was not ‘liking’, he was just a friend, but the feeling of being safe, of having a person to lean on and trust – that was why it felt so good to be with him. It felt like they were invincible, even if they didn’t win, working together was more fun. Every time it was challenging but memorable and the more time they spent together the more she discovered that they were so alike. “I really like working with you oppa.”

“Me too… I like being with you… even outside filming.” Ji hyo blushed. The man was just looking ahead, unaffected by the stares he had been receiving. All this was captured in the little camera in front of them, but no one, except the editors and Pds, had ever seen them.

 

Ji hyo smiled at the memory of their first grocery shopping together. Whenever they had Running Man family gatherings, he would always volunteer to buy the snacks saying that everyone always forgot to buy something he can eat. He would always ensure that all ways are done to minimize the calories, sodium, oil and the rest of his ‘list’. The members would always push her to go with him since they say she was the only one he bends his rules for – that actually makes her mood whenever she remembers it. She always bluffed that she won’t do it to the horror of others. They all can go anywhere with Jong kook except in the food section. No one can take the nagging and bickering that could ensue over the littlest thing. Secretly, she had always liked shopping with him, although it was very testing to her patience and her bickering prowess.

 

“Do you remember six years ago when we had that camping trip in Running Man?” I don’t know Ji hyo-yah… please don’t ask me. Jong kook only looked ahead. Focused on his task of pushing the cart like avoiding other shoppers is a mission. Ji hyo smiled, he was really like the good old oppa. That feeling of security and trusting warmed her. She is now staring at him openly unlike years ago. He suddenly draped his hands over her making her heart lurch. He pulled her closer to him. “Ji hyo-yah, Ji hyo-yah… What are you doing? Look straight, you almost knocked over those cardboard printouts.” Protective as ever… like the old him. Why am I reminded of the past? Why do I always think of him as the oppa 4 years ago? Why?

 

 

As the clerk rang their purchase, Jong kook felt like his head was being hammered right there. Every word that registered in the machine felt like criminals stealing his life years and he worried for the girls.

“Jong kook are you okay? You look too pale.”

“I-I am… maybe, hopefully. And how on earth can I look pale with this tan?” he replied as he suppressed a grimace at the offensive bottle of liquor being put in the bag. Jong kook wanted to run and hide the bottle as he remembered the last time Ji hyo touched alcohol. He had been patient that time, but he couldn’t be too sure for the second one.

 

“Are you still hung up on the wine? It’s better than beer and it is good for the health.”  I know! It’s that thing… you getting all womanly wifely on me when drunk! “Quit whining Jong kook, if you want I’ll just go to the gym with you.” Jong kook’s face lit up at the mention of his true home. He can already form a routine in his head for Ji hyo. He would make her start with some light stretching, have her on the bike for… “Yah, snap out of it. I said I’ll come but I won’t let you drive me crazy there. Let’s go and eat.” The family had a quiet dinner. For the sake of the one man, the two girls acquiesced to eat low fat and oil free meals. Even Hyo Jong who got to buy chocolates decided to forgo dessert thus making Jong kook feel a little bit better.

 

On their way home, Jong kook insisted on driving. He won only because Hyo Jong vouched for her. “You two are ganging up on me. Hyo Jong-ah, I thought you are my ally?”

Omma, appa is right, princesses and queens don’t drive.” In the end, Ji hyo was in front and Hyo Jong occupied the whole backseat and played games. Jong kook glanced at Ji hyo. He failed at making her mood better and he wondered if it was alright to give it to her. He eyed the envelopes in the dashboard. He hoped Ji hyo would mindlessly read them or discover them accidentally. Alternatively, he could try breaking hard so they would fall into her lap, but then he remembered Hyo Jong. She was keen on avoiding him as she stared out of her window and did not even glance at the envelopes. Jong kook do it… the sooner the better. You can do it, just let her know. “Ji hyo-yah, c-can you look for uh…” idiot! Why are you stuttering? Act natural! “Uh I think I left something in the um company this morning. Can you check for a blue envelope in the pile over there?” Ji hyo reached for the envelopes. Jong kook felt nervous with anticipation. He knew, she’ll notice right away that it was a script… she’s an actress after all. No matter what her reaction is, he is prepared to convince her. She picked up the blue envelope, her eyes widening a bit with the inscribed words. “Mrs. Kim… Jong kook is this a drama manuscript?”

“Uhmm yeah.” She didn’t speak. It was getting suffocating in the car. He longed to look at her face but he knows she’ll just greet him with that blank expression on her face. He kept his eyes on the road, scared that his nervousness will cost him their lives. There was no answer even after they drove into the garage of their home.


Thanks to all the upvoters, subscribers, commenters, readers, silent readers, and everyone who reads this. I can't thank you one by one but I really appreciate all the messages and comments.