The Press Conference

The Equation of Time

 

Jong kook opened his eyes, blinking gently as he adjusted to the light. He smiled contentedly when his wife snuggled closer to him, hugging him tight. “Ji hyo-yah…” he called out softly as he nuzzled her hair. “We need to get up now, Ji hyo-yah.”

“It’s your fault for keeping me up last night,” she complained, pretending to be annoyed.

“Yah, who was it who took so long to transfer things…”

“We could’ve just used my room yeobo,” she said with a pout. Jong kook laughed and kissed Ji hyo tenderly on her forehead before rolling away. He could still remember last night when they discussed where they should sleep.

 

Jong kook laid Hyo Jong down in the bed after the little girl fell asleep in the car, then quietly tiptoed out of her room. He gently closed the door, and found Ji hyo standing behind him. “Jong kook-ah, where do we sleep now?” she asked. Jong kook was not used to seeing her act shy but he found it really adorable. “How about the master bedroom?”

“But I have a lot of stuff.”

“I’d move them for you. Ji hyo-yah, don’t you want to use the master’s? It’s more spacious.”

“I’m just kidding around.” Jong kook smiled then headed to her room but Ji hyo tugged at the hem of his shirt, stopping him.

“I still can’t believe… I’m glad, Jong kook-ah. Actually, I’m so happy, very, very happy,” she whispered, her head bowed low. Jong kook could already imagine her stifling a smile. He was about to pull her to him but to his surprise, it was Ji hyo who pulled him first. “Last one’s going to do dishes for a week!” she exclaimed playfully then raced past him to her old room, leaving him chuckling in the corridor.

 

Jong kook spent the night carrying stuff from Ji hyo’s room to the master bedroom while she sat comfortably in a chaise lounge, watching him. “Are you not going to help me Ji hyo-yah?”

“That’s why I told you that you should transfer, not me.” She stuck out her tongue at him. “Aigoo, this woman,” he said with a chuckle then placed the box he was carrying on the ground and walked over to Ji hyo. “Do that again.”

“What?”

“That merong one.” Ji hyo stuck her tongue out at him while she scrunched her nose and closed her eyes tight. “Do it longer…” he said, and then caught her tongue and on it, conquering her lips impatiently. Jong kook leaned closer, pushing Ji hyo down as he angled her head and reached even further inside her hot, wet mouth. He rested a knee on the lounger, kissing her hard and deep, not giving her time to react. Ji hyo was surprised for a moment but fought his passion with the same intensity. Closing her eyes, she didn’t let him get the upper hand. She gripped his collar and pulled him even closer until both couldn’t hold their breath anymore. He let go of her, panting heavily, still hovering above her. He ran his tongue along her swollen lips, chuckling when Ji hyo pulled him for another bout but he resisted. “Ji hyo-yah… could we finish the transfer tomorrow?” he whispered hoarsely, his eyes twinkling mischievously, his lips ghosting hers.

Ji hyo laughed at him and pulled his ear, “You’re getting naughtier by day Jong kook-ah. Wait, what did you do to my shy husband?”

“What can I do if I have an irresistible wife? I learn well from you,” he chuckled before scooping Ji hyo in his arms.

“Yah! Kim Jong kook the door is still open!” she giggled but did not stop from ling his neck. He growled and quickly deposited her on the bed then locked the door.

 

---------------------

 

Jong kook stretched his back as he went through Ji hyo’s belongings. He was surprised to see that it was already 5:25pm – he had spent almost six hours on transferring her things and there was still one more box left. But Jong kook was really happy. The closet was not full of suits anymore, but full of her things, making him realize that he needed to buy more clothes, but still it warmed his heart. The walk in closet now looked like it belonged to a married couple.

 

He opened the last box to put away its contents but turned bright red when he saw that it’s full of lingerie. He had seen Ji hyo wear normal looking undies but the content of the box are far from usual, in fact he doesn’t even know what to call them. He wondered how Ji hyo would look in them, but quickly forgot it – he doesn’t want to creep her out. He carefully stashed the lingerie on a drawer and cheered quietly for finishing the move.

 

Jong kook found his wife curled up in a sofa, watching a movie. He slid next to her, cradling her head on his lap. “What are you watching Ji hyo-yah?”

“A Werewolf Boy… remember Joong ki’s movie? I loved it,” she answered. He stayed silent as he tried to think of who Joong ki is but Ji hyo looked so focused in the movie so he didn’t speak anymore. As the movie progressed, Jong kook found the movie beautiful, but he was more interested in watching Ji hyo and her reactions at every scene. How her eyes would widen, how she would smile, her lips curving slightly, her brows twitching… Song Ji hyo herself is a beautiful movie he would watch forever. She placed a hand on his knee drawing his attention there but he thought something was missing.

 

“Enjoying what you see?” she asked, interrupting his thoughts.

“The movie is touching,” he said, and added, “it’s beautiful, how they got along even if they were different.”

“But in the end they still couldn’t be together. They can’t be married, have kids, grow old together… just like us.” Jong kook peeked at her curiously, trying to maintain a straight face even if her words made him cold. Blood pounded in his ears, his head felt light, it was as if the world was spinning on him, it was as if she knew. “W-what do you mean Ji hyo-yah?” She couldn’t know, she’s just thinking about something different. Still the nervousness and sick feeling in his stomach wouldn’t go away. “Until when are you going to keep me in the dark Jong kook-ah?”

“I d-don’t know what you’re saying… what keeping you in the dark –”

“In the end you have to go back… you’ll leave me. I know you’re not Kim Jong kook, you are, but you don’t belong here… in the end we can’t be together.” She knows, she found out… Jong kook couldn’t think anymore. He could only look away, couldn’t bear to see the pain in her eyes. The memories of hurting Ji hyo was still vivid in his mind. He did not want to see her like that again, he did not want to leave.

 

“Kim Jong kook, yah!” Jong kook rolled his head to the side and wondered why Ji hyo’s expression changed, she was now looking at him weirdly. Her brows were knitted together, she was clucking her tongue in annoyance but she’s still lying down in his lap. “Yah, Kim Jong kook! If you’re going to sleep, do it in your room. And stop drooling on my face.”

 

Was it a dream? Or a premonition? He tried his best not to look troubled but the dream greatly disturbed him – it was too real. “I’m sorry Mrs. Kim… I’m sorry you have to put up with a drooling husband who loves you so much.” he said with a bright smile, and then held her hand in his, his heart twitching when he realized what was missing.

 

--------------------

 

Jong kook was busy figuring out things in the laptop when he felt a presence in the room. “Hey what’s up kid?” said Jade, but Jong kook ignored him. “Aw man, are you still mad with last time?” Jade plopped himself on Jong kook’s lap and hugged the muscled man. “Get off me Jade!”

“Oh the poor kid and his tantrums…” the time god cooed and made himself even more comfortable in the commander’s lap. “Oh come on, I had no choice… besides I could help you with the laptop if you want…” Jade offered, enticing Jong kook who suddenly stood up, throwing Jade off him.

“Shi Yoon said he emailed me details on the drama,” he muttered, scowling away from Jade. “Okay, well I could help you out, and quit the tantrums. We’re on the same team man.”

“I know and stop treating me like a kid. I’m just disturbed… just show me how to work my email and stuff then I’ll be fine, ah and online maps too, I need to learn that.”

“Why? What are you looking for kid?” Jong kook glared at Jade. “Okay fine I’ll teach you, look at this…”

 

It took Jade two hours to teach Jong kook everything by which at the end, Jong kook was already at the end of his patience. “Hey man you know umm, chill, err hold your temper would you? It’s just a drama… well umm good luck. I already printed them for you.” And the time god vanished, leaving Jong kook glaring at the one email.

 

--------------------

 

Ji Hyo found her husband deep in thought, papers were strewn across the table, and some were on the floor scattered. The study room was rarely used but it now looked busy, as if it was never abandoned at all. “What are you doing yeobo?” Jong kook relaxed a bit seeing her and put down the papers he was looking at. “I received the details for your comeback Ji hyo-yah… we have a lot of work to do.” Ji hyo went closer to him and saw his list. Makeup, stylist, manager, babysitter was among the ones she saw.

 

“Well this is not hard… I can call my old team. I’m sure they’d come running since they are the ones asking me now and then if I’m coming back. I’ll call Min Hee now… I’m sure Chang Joo would let her work for me again.”

“What? You are going to have Chang Joo... as what? As your manager?” he said without thinking, earning him a hit from Ji hyo. “What’s wrong with you? You’re so grumpy.” She pulled a chair and sat beside him. “Min hee was my old manager. She’s Chang Joo’s wife now... how could you forget that? As for Hyo Jong, I will still take care of her. I don’t need another person to take care of my child… besides, you’d help me right?”

“Of course, I’m sorry, I’m just thinking a lot. I want this to be perfect for you. And the casting… it troubles me.” he said, then showed Ji hyo another set of papers.

 

Ji hyo flipped the covers, casting, the first page contained her picture and character details. The next one revealed actor Park Ji bin, her teen-aged son in the drama, diagnosed with autism. Ji hyo paused for a while, she knows the leading men are next. The writer promised to limit the skin ship since the drama would focus on the emotional struggles of a single mom who had bitter memories from her first love, but still she found herself nervous. Ji hyo turned to the next page and was relieved to see Joong ki’s smiling face. The actor hadn’t finished his military service yet but she heard that he would be discharged next week. Ji hyo made a mental note to be there when the actor came back from the service.

 

“It’s a good cast. A good story too and I heard director Park Jin Pyo and Choi Sung Bum would team up to helm this together, right? This couldn’t be any more perfect… why don’t you seem happy?” Jong kook didn’t answer but instead took the papers from her and turned it into the next page. “I want him replaced.” he said.

 

Ji hyo looked at the face of someone very familiar who would play the role of her first love and father to her son. “It’s In Sung oppa…” Jong kook’s face darkened at the mention of oppa. “What’s wrong with this Jong kook-ah? Joong Ki and In Sung are good actors. I’m sure the production team has very good reasons to choose them so I won’t request for any changes.” Jong kook clenched his fist and let out a deep sigh.

 

Honestly, he was confused too on why he was being too affected. It must be because of Frozen Flower, he couldn’t stop thinking that people will use that against her and he doesn’t want her to be the target of hate. He also couldn’t help but think that the production wanted the buzz it would create, who wouldn’t be interested to see the three reunite after the controversial film? He might be jealous but he reasoned out that his concern over her was heavier than personal jealousy.

 

“Kim Jong kook, are you jealous?” she asked, placing a hand on his knee and he hated the fact that it was mellowing him out. “Ji hyo-yah, I promised to be there for you. I know this… I mean, he’s that guy from that film, I’m just worried. Just choose someone else, I can’t watch you with him.”

“Yah, Song Jong kook! Are you really going to be like this?” Jong kook turned to his side and groaned when a throw pillow hit him where it hurts. “Ow, Song Ji hyo… why?” he asked, bewildered when Ji hyo smiled.

“Don’t be too difficult. My choice is final.”

“But –” Ji hyo turned to Jong kook, giving him a scary look that made him gulp down all his whining. “I know you are worried but I am challenged actually. Did you really think I haven’t thought of the irony of this? I am aware of everything… I cried, I was hurt before but after all those, I understood finally, what an actress is. I want to be someone who could stand there without shame and then people would say ‘oh that’s Mrs. Kim’. I know there would be people who will mention Frozen Flower but I want to be someone who could change that. They’d forget everything and see only Mrs. Kim.” Jong kook lowered his head ashamed of his thinking. He couldn’t help the worrying but he knew she has a point. For a while, he was just like those people who once criticized her, who said things that hurt instead of appreciation.

 

 “Kim Jong Kook, I know what you’re thinking.”

“I’m sorry…”

“Don’t be, I understand… who wouldn’t think of that.” She held his hand, tracing the lines with her finger. “I am scared too but I don’t want to run anymore, I want to end that image of me. Besides… I know I won’t be judged by people who matter.” Jong kook caught her gaze, held it for a while then Ji hyo quickly stole a kiss from him.

 

“Okay, I get it now Mrs. Kim, I won’t object already but…” she raised her brows curiously and Jong Kook straightened up, wanting her to take him seriously. “I’ll be your personal bodyguard, let me at least do that.”

“Wouldn’t it be too distracting to have you on set every day?”

“Why? I have to make sure –”

“Jong kook-ah, let me do this neh? You don’t need to be there, I might feel too conscious seeing you there.”

“Maybe you just don’t want me to fuss over you. I know how filming sites works, I know you won’t be able to sleep much, work so hard, get cold and hungry, it’s very uncomfortable and you don’t want me to see that.”

Ommo, you know well how dramas are produced.”

“Of course I had watched Eun – I mean, Cha Tae Hyun and Jang Hyuk always complained about it.” Idiot! Why do you have to mention her? Jong kook wanted to bang his head on the wall for almost saying her name in front of Ji hyo. “I didn’t mean that, I slipped, but just let me visit you a lot. I want to make sure you are fine, I don’t want you to end up in the hospital and you know Hyo Jong would also want to see you.” he said, hoping she wouldn’t be mad at him.

 

After the unbearable silence, she finally answered. “Okay, fine but let me handle the other staff needed. I’ll let KJK labels sign me up and don’t forget your promise for the OST.” Jong kook searched her eyes, glad to see no trace of hurt or anything worrisome. “Don’t be too hard on yourself Jong kook-ah, I am not the super jealous type like you.” Her words relieved him and he grinned. “Who’s jealous? Me? I’m better than In Sung and Joong Ki combined.”

“Oh really? In what department?”

“I’m a good singer, good in dancing too… I’m handsome, I have abs and muscles, I am smart and I’m married, if they’re better then why are they still single?”

“Pfft, so full of yourself. Let’s just go and have dinner, I think that’s hunger speaking.” Jong kook gave her a look that was supposed to make him appear pitiful but instead he looked like an overgrown kid trying to appeal but failing miserably. “Hey Ji hyo-yah! Don’t you think I’m cute? I’m a flower boy too!” he said while following Ji hyo who was pretending to ignore him. “I still have something I’m blessed with.”

 

She turned to him abruptly and mouthed the word ‘what’ and Jong kook naughtily whispered in her ear. Ji hyo’s eyes widened with what she heard and she let out a laugh. “Yah! ert! Is that even something to be proud of? Aigoo, my poor husband is so hungry his stomach has eaten his brains.”

“Why? You were the one who said it Mrs. Kim!” he said, laughing and teasing her as they headed to dinner.

 

--------------------

 

Monday morning. It was only 6:00 but KJK labels was buzzing with activity. Flowers, tables, chairs, everyone was busy running around, orders were barked, workers were scrambling around. Cameras were set, the lightings, the stage, and Shi Yoon made sure everything were working properly.

 

“Miss Janes, the reservations?”

“All set sir, I had confirmed everything yesterday and everything’s smooth going.”

“The media?”

“All invitations were given away, and I also invited cable news for added exposure. Television, radio, newspaper and even online reporters were invited. Everything is ironed out.”

“Good,” Shi yoon said and walked towards the stage. “Ah, another thing Miss Janes, add more security. This would be the biggest drama of the year.” Sarah Janes closed her organizer and looked at her boss. “All set sir, I already took the initiative to involve the local police, would that be all sir?” Shi Yoon almost smiled, pleased at having Sarah beside him, but caught himself. He raised his brow in acknowledgement to her hard work and continued his tour, while Sarah stifled a smile, following her boss wherever he went.

 

“I’m a little bit nervous,” Jong kook said as he straightened his tie. He frowned when Ji hyo finally finished her preparations. “That skirt is too short, Jang Hye Ri, don’t you have anything –”

Yeobo, calm down… you act even more nervous than I am. This is not short, it’s knee length and I don’t want to wear a long gown in the summer.” Then she turned to him and fixed his suit. “Aigoo, you’re so handsome,” she said, then massaged his face. “Why don’t you smile? Come on Jong kook, don’t be like this neh?”

“Okay…” he gave in and smiled. “But really Ji hyo-yah, you’re so beautiful I wish I didn’t have to share you with them.” She punched him lightly on the chest, only stopping when they realized everyone from the stylist to their managers were all giggling at their public display of affection.

 

“Yah, Ji hyo unnie, if only Kim Jong kook oppa here could act, you two would fit in a drama.” Min hee, her old manager, joked. Even Gap Jin who left his shop to return to Jong kook’s side, was chuckling.

 

The dressing room was a chaos as they neared the time of the press conference. When Ji hyo was finally done and the gang was finished cleaning up, the door opened and Shi Yoon went in, mesmerizing every female in the room much to Sarah’s annoyance.

 

Noona, you look good and hyung too,” he said, handing Ji hyo a bouquet of flowers. “Omma!” squealed Hyo Jong who had spent the morning running around with Sarah. She was also wearing a cute little pink dress, her short hair clipped and bouncing all around her. Sarah bowed to Jong kook and Ji hyo in greeting.

 

Omma is really, really pretty and we got same dress. Omma and Hyo Jong so pretty and appa, handsome and also samchon and also unnie.” Hyo Jong said, taking an interest in Jong kook’s curls, touching each strand with her little fingers.

“Hyo Jong-ah, we have to be really behaved today neh? Don’t stray away and always hold on to appa.” said Jong kook.

Neh appa… Hyo Jong would be really, really behaved.”

 

“It’s almost time. Hyung, follow Sarah, she will show you to your table. I will noona to the backstage. Ah, by the way, I took on this project and will be handling this personally so you’d see me around more often. Come on, let’s go everyone.” Shi Yoon ushered everyone outside.

 

Hyo Jong and Jong kook followed Sarah, passing through a corridor, which looked like those used for deliveries. “Kim Jong kook-ssi, we attracted more of a crowd than we expected so we have to be discreet. We’re almost there,” Sarah explained. “And actually, I’m a big fan Kim Jong kook-ssi.” Jong kook gave her a smile while Hyo Jong tugged at his hand. “Why baby girl?”

Appa, unnie likes samchon. Unnie said it when I went to samchon’s house.” Jong kook gently pinched Hyo Jong’s cheeks and he placed a finger on her lips. “Ah Miss Janes, I’m sorry. My daughter really says the weirdest things…” he said with an awkward laugh. Sarah only blushed and walked briskly. Soon, they went out of a door found themselves inside the conference room.

 

The father daughter pair sat on a table, thankful that no one noticed them. The lights dimmed and the stage was lighted. Everyone up front was on standby, recorders, laptops, cameras, readied. His good friend Suk Jin was the MC of the night and when the hyung started the program, everyone grew silent.

 

“Ladies and gentlemen, let me now introduce to you the main cast. These people are very dear and close dongsaengs...” he paused for a while and smiled at Jong kook’s direction. The reporters now discovered his presence and snapped pictures of him and Hyo Jong. “Okay, let’s call the main cast now… Song Ji hyo, Song Joong ki and Jo In Sung!” There was an uproar coming from the outside, while flashes and clicks echoed inside.

 

The three main lead walked hand in hand with Ji hyo in the middle. They posed for the cameras as Suk Jin described each character. Next up, Park Ji bin, the Pds and Lee Gwang soo who’d play a small role, appeared. The director and the cast all gave their speech and message to the viewers.

 

When it was time for the question and answer portion, Jong kook gripped his glass tightly. His heart pounded hard as he tried very hard not to worry but alas, his fears came true with the very first question.

 

“A question for Song Ji hyo-ssi, this is your comeback, how does it feel to be working with your Frozen Flower co-stars?” asked a reporter. Jong kook almost stood up in anger if not for someone restraining him.


Thanks for reading... I hope you all enjoy the light moments ^^