Jeju Escapade 2

The Equation of Time

 

 

“They broke up so they couldn’t hurt each other anymore.” Ji hyo stared at him in bewilderment, her gaze piercing through him as she tried to discern the meaning of his words. Quickly, she hid her hands but he had already seen that they were trembling. “What do you mean yeobo?” Jong kook knows he is being cruel but he can’t promise her a happy ending. Although it hurts to see her in that state, she had the right to know what would happen if both of them decides to be together. She needs to be given a choice to stay or not.

 

“I-I want you to know everything. I am scared for you Ji hyo-yah… I have realized things while I was there.” He looked at her eyes directly. He wanted her to see how sincere he was. He wanted her to feel those he couldn’t directly tell her. “I saw how much I had hurt you Ji hyo-yah… because of my stupidity. I am sorry but if you stay with me…” one day you might find out that I’m gone… and there’s no way for me to come back.

 

She sighed as she turned to look at the moon. She looked so beautiful with the moonlight illuminating her even with the anguish clearly evident on her face. The image was a sad but beautiful painting that would forever haunt him. I made her like this… I had done nothing but make her sad.

 

“Jong kook-ah, I thought that for a while we could escape. Pretend nothing ever happened.” she lowered her gaze. Despite that, he can already picture her biting her lip, her eyes moistening. He ached for her. He wanted to reach out to her but things weren’t so simple now. Even the reason he was thrown in the future wasn’t clear anymore. He had time traveled, for what? At first, it was to fix his ‘mistakes’ but wasn’t that too simple? His problem was losing Eun hye so why did he end up in the future? A small voice in his head tells him the reason is right in front of him...

 

“Jong kook-ah, tell me what is it that’s holding you back?” Her voice told him she knew what he was thinking. He only answered her with silence. He wanted to confess to her everything, even the truth of him coming from the present but he wasn’t so sure he was allowed to do that. Actually, he just doesn’t want to hurt her like that. How can he tell her he is practically a stranger?

 

“Ji hyo-yah, the reason the Jong kook oppa you know changed four years ago… It will hurt you Ji hyo-yah, but I need to tell you.”

“I knew everything that happened back there Jong kook-ah… Do you know how we found you?” He had wondered briefly about that but he thought all along that it was Shi Yoon’s meticulous plans that had saved him. He shrugged and she took that as a no. “That night… I thought I lost you Jong kook. Then the most unexpected thing of all happened.”

 

-----------To the Night of the Old Man’s Confession----------

 

Ji hyo gently opened the door and tiptoed inside Hyo Jong’s room. For a while, she watched her child sleep. Watching Hyo Jong always calmed her but tonight it wasn’t doing anything to her anxiousness. She was painfully familiar of the situation as it was the same 4 years ago. He had promised her it would be fine but the next thing she knew she had married a stranger. In her heart, she had forgiven him. She doesn’t doubt the sincerity of his words and his actions for the past few days, but tonight when he had went to Shi Yoon and she is sure that it was about the old man.

 

Fed up with waiting, she clumsily dialed Shi Yoon’s number but he wouldn’t answer. She dialed Jong kook’s number but couldn’t bring herself to press the call button. She called Shi Yoon again but still he wouldn’t pick up. She decided to just send him a message. ‘Shi Yoon-ah, don’t let him do anything stupid. I know he is there.’

 

Trust me... His words echoed in her head. She did trust him but part of her wanted him to think otherwise and come running home to her. He sounded haunted, every word sounded anguished. He didn’t want to do it, but he sounded like he had no choice. He was fighting a battle she had no idea of, for her. She may not be there with him but she knew what she could do to help him. She composed another message and glanced at Hyo Jong before hitting the send button.

‘I trust you. Please come home, Hyo Jong and I are waiting.’

Ji hyo waited although she didn’t expect a reply. She can already imagine him hesitating and not knowing what to do. She put the phone away and silently continued to watch Hyo Jong sleep.

 

 

It was almost 3 am when Ji hyo suddenly woke up. Something felt terribly wrong. She thought someone had called her name. She looked at the phone in her hand and found a message.

‘Thank you Ji hyo-yah’.

Instead of relief, it sent an ominous chill through her. An ache she couldn’t explain built up inside her and she frantically whispered his name. Walking out of Hyo Jong’s room with heavy steps, she dialed his number. He was out of reach. He is fine… he should be. She tried countless times but still he couldn’t be reached. She called Shi Yoon next. He picked up but there was only silence. “Yah! Where is my husband?” There was an audible sigh from the other line and Ji hyo fought the desperate panic seizing her. “Shi Yoon-ah? Answer me!”

 

“We lost him.” Ji hyo’s knees weakened as she tried to steady herself, holding on to the wall. She must have heard wrong, it might not be what she was thinking. Tears sprung from her eyes, her heart clenched painfully. She sprawled on the floor and her hands trembled so badly that she had to hold the phone with both. constricted painfully as she whispered hoarsely, “S-Shi Yoon-ah… w-was it… the old man?” the silence must have gone on for a few seconds but it seemed like hours to her. “Neh, I’m sorry we lost him.” Another voice spoke in the background saying something about ‘no traces of the target’. Warm tears raced down her face.

 

“He is here Ji hyo that old man.” She already knew but hearing those words still hurt. She almost believed that she wouldn't see him ever again. He promised. I trust him. He said he wouldn’t leave. Surely, he can’t just go like that, right? Shi Yoon shouted her name but the device now lay on the floor.

 

Ji hyo stood up as she wiped her tears away. She was Ji hyo. She wasn’t going to wait in vain. She gathered herself together and went to her room, putting on some clothes and grabbing everything that could be useful. She opened a secret drawer, revealing a gun. She made sure there were bullets inside before tucking it in at the back of her jeans. She called Shi yoon again and he sounded relieved as he told her not to worry but she was having none of it. “Take me with you Shi yoon-ah, I need to find my husband.”

 

--------------------

 

“He told us not to follow him but of course we still trailed him. My uncle had let me borrow some men and they made sure that the whole area was covered. Ji hyo, it was a trap and Jong kook knew... I’m sorry I didn’t realize that sooner. If I did I would’ve never let him –”

“He is the old man Shi Yoon! Even if you didn’t know it was a trap, you shouldn’t let him go near that, that sicko.” Ji hyo clenched her fist on her side. Blaming Shi Yoon wouldn’t find him. She took several deep breaths as her pulse throbbed in her head. “When did you realize they were missing?”

“30 minutes ago. We sent in someone but they were gone.”

“Have you checked the whole place? What about underground hideouts? He can’t disappear into thin air Shi Yoon-ah, and you said you had surrounded the place –”

“Calm down, we are doing everything. We checked every inch of the property, there wasn’t much. We tracked his phone but I think it was disposed. We secretly tipped the authorities already about the old man. The bastard’s wanted in the U.S. He can’t escape this.”

“It’s not important to me who wants him, time’s of the essence here Shi Yoon-ah. I can’t lose him.”

“I’m sorry.” He looked somber, and for the first time, lost. She bit her lower lip and refrained from speaking. Instead, she got her phone and called him relentlessly.

 

Chang Joo joined them looking worried and murderous. He kept on cursing the old man until Shi Yoon stopped him with a glare. Ji hyo prayed hard. She kept on pressing that call button. Please. Finally, the phone rang and her eyes widened in surprise. Just hearing his phone ring gave her the sense of hope that he’ll suddenly answer and tell her he was coming home. Please answer me. Come back to me.

 

“Ji hyo-yah, is it ringing?” She nodded as she gripped the phone. Again and again, she prayed for him to answer. The ringing ended but she didn’t give up. Shi Yoon called some people and soon a lanky man with complicated gadgets joined them in the van. “He is a tracker Ji hyo-yah, we will try to trace him again.” The man went to work but after a few minutes, he shook his head.

“Sir, it can’t be done –”

“What do you mean? His phone is ringing he is somewhere out there with a killer so why can’t you find him!” she shouted, frightening the poor guy. Chang Joo was quick to pull her away before she strangled the man.

 

“I am really sorry. This is a rare case ma’am. Can you try calling him then I will try again.” Ji hyo fumed but waited patiently. She called Jong kook again and it rang. After five rings, someone picked up. Ji hyo looked nervously at everyone in the van.

 

Ji hyo heard a faint voice. The voice was familiar, it was the old man. The others frantically got to work. Soon they were moving to somewhere she doesn’t know. All the time her ears were glued to the phone as she listened to the old man’s story. She tried not to but the truth was painful, it was a trick. At the end of the conversation, she doesn’t know anymore what to do.

 

“Kim Jong kook.” Your face looked surprised and I can’t help but admire my acting prowess. I looked shocked and scared, the perfect image of a weak old man… it was all reflected in your eyes. Then I feigned anger, I tried to run away with my limping steps. You tried to stop me and I turned to you viciously, whispering these words. “You know what my son told me about that woman he saved? He said she was Song Ji hyo… She went to a man Kim Jong kook to save herself and betrayed the mafia boss. My son saved a .”

 

There was silence and Ji hyo looked at her phone, it was disconnected. Everything suddenly made sense. The old man used what she did. She loathed the man to her core, but she couldn’t deny that pain in her heart. For four years Jong kook had doubted her, for a long time, Jong kook had thought she was the mafia’s woman and that Hyo Jong wasn’t his child. She knew it was partly her fault for not telling him, her fault for letting the old man use the truth and twist it to suit his needs. Still for four years, he lived with that kind of lie. Why did he stay?

 

The next thing she knew they were in an abandoned factory. Jong kook’s hands were tied to a rod over his head, his body covered in blood and the old man pointing a gun at him. They seemed to be conversing but she couldn't hear a thing. The image caused Ji hyo’s knees to wobble and if not for Shi yoon, she would’ve collapsed already. He shielded her and there were other people shouting and fighting but it was a blur. “Noona! Stay back.” She didn’t listen to Shi yoon. Her eyes were only trained to the person she loathed the most in the world.

 

 The old man grinned at Ji hyo before pulling the trigger. She screamed as her husband’s body jerked and she hastily pulled out her own gun. Her hands trembled badly as she aimed at the man who made her family’s life hell. Shi Yoon must’ve said something but only anger and hatred coursed through her blocking everything else, all she thought of was to make him pay. “Sung Im-ah, you now live your life anguishing and asking yourself why this had to happen to you. You can’t die… you won’t take your life because of your child, and so forever your life will be spent mourning for this guy.” She hadn’t pulled the trigger but a gunshot echoed loudly. The old man didn’t give her the chance to revenge for Jong kook. Up to his last breath, the old man only thought of making her suffer.

 

----------To the Present in Jeju----------

 

“You knew everything… I-I…” He looked away in shame. If the truth behind future Jong kook’s change due to doubting pained him, how much would it be for Ji hyo who had to suffer for 4 years? He wished it was something else. He wished he was just a bastard who didn’t really have feelings for her instead of a coward who doubted her. If he was the latter, it would more painful but if he was just trash, it would be much easier for her to hate and forget him.

 

“When I had heard of the truth about his devious plan, I was hurt… but still I was scared to lose you. I know you had the right to doubt, it was instinct. It was a natural reaction and it was not a light matter. It made me realize that back then you didn’t love me enough to trust me, but when I told you about the old man last time… you made me feel accepted, protected. I thought that finally you have learned to love me.

“Seeing you shot hurt more than the truth Jong kook-ah. Seeing you there… I thought I could do anything to save you, despite what happened. I couldn’t help but think if only I’d been honest with you at the beginning none of this would've have happened. At that moment all I thought of was that I didn’t want to lose you and I want to hurt him as much as he’d hurt us. We were played, it’s not our fault. I want us to stop thinking that it’s our fault.”

 

Jong kook didn’t know what to say as he processed all the information in his head. She had heard the truth through his phone. Jade tossed him that phone as he was being transported back to the world. The mystery about why future him changed was not the truth Jade has been talking about… but why did the time god cut the call?

 

‘Are you brave enough to do what he didn’t do? Will you not let the laws set by man hinder you two again?’

‘The truth will set you free.’

 

Could it be? Could it be that Jade allowed me to tell her who I really am, from where I am? Or was it those words?

 

She didn’t hear the last words.

I love them.

 

“Ji hyo-yah… I can’t say sorry because I know it’s not enough.”

“Then saying we should break up is the right thing to tell me?”

“But I hurt you, I made you suffer and who knows what else could happen next time? I want to give you the chance to run away from all of this.”

“But running away hurts me more. And you trying to shield me from this by pushing me away only makes me want to pull you in closer.”

“But can you live with this? I doubted you Ji hyo, I was a –”

“This is what made me forgive you…” She walked closer to him until their bodies are almost touching. “Hold me Jong kook-ah.” Without hesitation, his arms wrapped around her as if they had a mind of their own. He sighed as she buried herself closer to him. He was so helpless and torn. Could he really do this? Could he really fall – no, could he really let himself stay fallen for her?

 

“See, this is why I can’t let you go… because you can’t lose me too. I can feel it, see it in your eyes, and hear it in your voice. Your heart is beating so fast, for me. I know it’s for me.”

N-neh... I’m so sorry for everything Ji hyo-yah, I’m so sorry…” He tightened his grip on her. If only they had met more normally this wouldn’t have happened. He would’ve been able to give her something more that she deserved. “I’m sorry…” he whispered in her ear over and over again as tears raced down his face. “I know yeobo… I forgive you.” 

“How can you just forgive me Ji hyo-yah –”

“I told you already… I am bound to forgive you anyway, so why make us both suffer and prolong it?”

 

He didn’t know how long they were standing there. He wanted to tell her more, there were many more left to say and confess but at that time, he only wanted to savor the feeling of having her in his arms. There would be other days to talk. He decided to take it slow from there. “Promise me you won’t push me away anymore Jong kook-ah. Promise me…” The lump on his throat was now painful that he could only nod at her sincere plea. The wind blew and suddenly it rained. He grabbed her hand and she smiled at him. With their hands intertwined, they ran in the rain to the car.

 

--------------------

 

Ji hyo and Jong kook arrived at the accommodation that Shi yoon arranged for them. It was a cottage built on the seashore. The place was private and isolated, if not for the two drenched in rain, they would’ve appreciated the place more. Bong dal dropped them off and told them to call if they need anything.

 

“Ji hyo-yah, go and take a shower now. You can’t catch a cold,” he said as he pulled their luggage to the lone room. He almost gasped when he saw the room. There was a four-poster bed in the middle. Aromatic candles were everywhere. The lighting was dim. It looked like a honeymoon suite complete with roses and music in the background.

 

Ji hyo entered the room and her expression mirrored his. She let out an awkward laugh and began digging through their bags. “Shi Yoon was a bit overboard with this don’t you think Ji hyo-yah?”

“I think it’s quite romantic though…” She casually ignored his flustered face and began taking out clothes and toiletries. Jong kook can see her bent low to the floor, her waving in front of him. He realized where he was looking and went out of the room clenching his teeth. He explored the cottage and checked the other places. He went to the dining room to find it set with dinner. The kitchen was stocked and so was the mini bar, but the bottles made him redden as he remembered the last time Ji hyo got drunk. He sat idly on the bar stool and eyed his phone. He was trying to figure out why Jade had helped him out in that way when Ji hyo came out wearing only a robe. He swallowed hard at the thought that she was underneath those.

“W-what are you doing here – I mean go and take a warm bath now.”

“But you’re the one who have just gone out from the hospital…”

“You first, I am fine but you’re wet and cold.”

“I am wet…” She saw his breath hitch. It was fun teasing her husband like this. “I am wet from the rain and so are you. How about we just take a bath together, yeobo?” Jong kook flushed, his blood pounded in his ears. He swallowed hard multiple times in nervousness. He looked around the cottage but there was only one room and one bathroom. She walked towards him and tossed a towel over his head. She gently wiped his face, her fingers lingering on his lips. Jong kook eyed her every move, his stare now dark and intense. The cold room suddenly felt so warm and cozy.

 

Yeobo, you can’t get sick.” She slowly ed his shirt, her body now pressed against him. He can’t step back but slid down the chair to stand against her. He suppressed a groan as their lower bodies touched. His body reacted almost instantly at the contact. She finally succeeded tossing away his shirt. He heard a sharp intake of breath as his body was revealed to her intense gaze. The towel she gave him earlier now hung around his neck. She pulled it making his face inch closer to hers. Their lips were almost touching. It felt too soon but all he wanted to do was have her.

“You’re chattering Jong kook-ah, let’s go and have that bath…” she whispered against his lips, her tone low and inviting. Her hot breath fanned his face making him growl. She smiled, gave his hips a squeeze making him strain painfully in his tight pants. She had this victorious smile on her face as she strutted to the bedroom. Jong kook was almost panting as she watched her back swaying as she walked away. He knows he can’t run anymore.


Sorry for being gone for a long time. I made two versions of this and for a week I was so stressed with what to do with it. Actually the job takes up most of my time everyday. I wake up at 5am then go to work, go home around 8pm then I'd be too tired to do anything. I 'd just spend an hour having dinner in front of the laptop checking messages and emails then I'd try to work on writing but I end up falling asleep sitting down. My work is too physical so I hope you uinderstand that I can only update on weekends. Thank you and I'm sorry for making excuses.

I just hope you enjoy this story and don't kill me for cutting it short again. The rain thing and cottage are becoming a thing on my fics so you might find it familiar. 

Thanks once again Kyung :)