1:8 Collapse

Incorruptible

 

 

 

“Did I hear you right?”

Yesung nodded, toying with the pen in his hand. After dropping Ryeowook off, I had been called to the usual place, only knowing that Yesung had something important to talk about. I couldn’t think of what they could want out of the blue, but I wasn’t about to turn them down. How could anyone be so stupid? Scratch that, there were plenty of people who could be that stupid.

“Would I joke about this?” Yesung trained me with a look.

“Well, it doesn’t make sense,” I leaned back against the bookcase, grabbing a novel at random just to keep my hands busy. If I met his gaze for too long, I wouldn’t be able to think clearly about the situation. “Why are you and Siwon packing up?”

“We’ve been here for too long,” he responded, the scratching of pen on paper following, “Neither of us is interested in this game anymore.”

“What? The slums aren’t a good enough playground these days?” I idly flipped a page, feeling queasier by the second. With them gone, I wouldn’t have anything fun to occupy my time anymore.

Yesung laughed deep in his throat. “You could say that. A more accurate statement would be that Siwon found a more interesting activity. We’re leaving in two months.”

The sick feeling subsided a bit. Two months was a fair amount of time. I could deal with that. Closing the book, I walked over, taking the seat on the other side of Yesung’s desk. “I’m guessing when you leave, that’ll be the last time I see you guys?”

His mouth twitched up in a brief smile, but his eyes never left the papers he was filling out. “As far as I know, we don’t have any plans to take you along.”

If they did have plans, then I would have to start thinking of a way out. Like I said before, they weren’t lowly criminals or vandals. Yesung and Siwon had power and wealth and too much free time. They were running the country like puppet masters and reaping the rewards for their hired business – whatever that was.

“Then why am I here?” I prompted.

“You’ve been interesting since this project started,” he answered plainly. “We thought it would be right to inform you about our intentions before anyone else.”

“I’m touched,” I blanched.

Yesung just smiled again.

Standing up, I pushed the chair back, stuffing my hands in my pockets. “So, is this new game more interesting than me?”

“Maybe,” he answered mildly, “it’s still in the works.”

“Well,” cracking my neck, I turned towards the door, “tell me if you throw anymore parties before the big move, but I’m assuming you’ll be too busy with business for the next two months.” Closing my hand around the knob, I twisted and pulled. “See you around.”

“Bye, Kyuhyun,” Yesung said softly.

I shut the door behind me.

 

***

 

Slipping the phone back into my pocket, I sauntered down the street, headed for Mir’s place. I had a feeling if I went to bother Ryeowook, he might just try and assault me in the worst way. Hangovers could make people crazy.

See, in my mind, I was a little pissed. My entertainment was going away. How else should I react? All I wanted was something that could make me feel better and at that moment, the best option was Mir. As far as I could tell on the phone, he would need a little convincing about my feelings for him again. I couldn’t blame him; after all, I did practically feed him to the wolves last night. Whatever though, he found a way home.

Cutting through the public park, I found his residential district, counting off houses until I reached his. It was a plain structure with a few windows along the back and a well-trimmed garden. What else could I expect from a middle-class, suburban kid? The only reason he went to a below-average school was because he was too stupid to get in anywhere else.

I swiped the spare key from the broken patio light casing, and let myself in. On the phone, he had told me that no one was home which was just a modest way of saying “You can come over and my brains out” and I certainly intended to do that.

His bedroom was on the second floor, last door on the right. I didn’t bother to knock, turning the handle and once again letting myself in. Mir looked up from his phone, not incredibly surprised to see me. I did give him fair warning. “You’re here,” he said softly, sitting up.

I shouldered the door closed, tugged my sweatshirt off, and walked over to him. “I told you I was coming,” I shrugged, tangling my fingers into his hair. “I’m as . Blow me.”

You would think that people had more pride, but they really didn’t. He wanted me to control him. The secret desire to be bossed around and abused lit his eyes and I just knew that I had picked the right idiot to use. He had a skewed vision of the world where I was changing for him. If I wasn’t passing the time by letting him think those things, I would’ve ended it much sooner – so soon that he wouldn’t have been able to even form the silly notion.

 

We ed for a while, his voice growing scratchier the longer we were at it. I wasn’t focused on much though. The only thing running through my mind was the decreasing irritation. Distractions were the best way for me to calm down, personally. Although I’m confident and probably arrogant too, this isn’t to boost my ego; I’m honest to the ing heavens too brilliant for my own good.

People always complain about how geniuses have it easy. Think again. Imagine, just imagine, what it feels like to absorb every little thing anyone has ever said to you – good or bad. Consider what life would be like if you never had to try and because of that, you could never find common ground with other people’s struggles. It’s not that great, and the only way to feel even slightly like a normal person is to self-destruct. I’ve tried a ton of things, most of them less than legal, but those have been the only times where I’ve felt on even ground with anyone, really.

Call me whatever the hell you want. I can’t change what I am.

“Kyuhyun?”

I sat back, feeling my breaths coming quick and fast. “What?” I focused my attention back on the body underneath me.

“Are you okay?” Mir reached up and wrapped his arms around my neck.

Flopping down beside him, I dropped my arm across his waist. Let’s have some fun. “No…I don’t think so,” I murmured.

“What happened?” There was so much concern in his voice. I almost felt like we could connect, but oh wait, I was just making it up – whatever it was that I planned on saying.

“My mom came to visit. I walked out of the house before she could really get to me.” I faked a sad smile, pushing the hair away from his heartbroken face. What a fool. He was soaking up every word like they were holy truths. I almost felt bad. “Then I came over here. Just seeing her pissed me off so much.”

“Oh my god, I’m sorry Kyuhyun,” Mir’s lips quivered and he caressed my cheek. “It’s not fair that you have to have parents like that. It’s not fair at all.”

“Yeah, I know,” I laughed sharply. “At least my old man didn’t come by. He’s worse than her.”

“I bet,” he nodded understandingly; “he treated you so badly.” Mir ran his fingers through my hair, pulling forward to kiss me. “Don’t worry, Kyuhyun. I’m here for you. I’ll trust you and take care of you.”

I had never heard so much bull in one spiel.

 “Thank you,” I whispered, “No one has ever said that to me.”

“I’ll say it as many times are you want,” he promised.

What a liar – a shallow, ing liar.

Rolling on top of him, I locked our lips again. “Still up for more?” I mumbled against his mouth.

He nodded a little and all I could do was grin.