3:19

Incorruptible

 

 

Kyuhyun stared in wonder at the bubbly teacher sitting across from him. The man was fair skinned and dark haired with large black eyes. Those same attentive orbs were currently focused on Kyuhyun with far too much interest for that time of the day and that particular environment.

“You’re Cho Kyuhyun, right? One of the new music teachers, if I’m right?” the man asked, smiling, “I’m Lee Sungmin. Sorry for having taken so long to introduce myself. You’ve been here for a few days already, but it’s been pretty hectic with all of the rumors and scandals…you probably heard about them before coming here...which just makes you that much cooler for deciding to come anyway!”

“Yes…,” Kyuhyun said slowly.

“Why did you decide on our school?” Sungmin prompted, leaning forward in his seat.

He leaned away, almost cringing. “Well, it’s still a great school and the salary is very good for teachers. I decided that I could ignore the scandals.”

“You’re really brave,” he complimented.

“Thanks,” Kyuhyun muttered, “but why are you here? It seems like someone with your personality wouldn’t be…inclined to stay after so many strange occurrences.”

“What does that mean?” Sungmin feigned insult.

“You’re very bright and innocent,” Kyuhyun responded with a small shrug, “I can’t see you handling these things well.”

He flushed and smiled. “Thank you for the concern…I’m fine though. This is nothing for me! I can handle a lot,” he grinned.

The bell rang then and the teachers began standing up, collecting their things. Kyuhyun turned and left as quickly as possible, not wanting to get stuck talking to Sungmin any longer. The guy was too excited and bouncy for his taste. He shuddered at the thought, turning a corner before anyone could catch him.

 

“Have you found anything?” Kyuhyun prompted Jungmo. The night had settled in as they stood in a corner of the library, talking to one another quietly and casually. Any random passersby would barely take a moment to glance at them.

“It isn’t Heechul,” he offered lightly, “I hear there’s a party tonight though. That might be a good place to find out more about the social relationships here. Maybe it’s a bullying group.”

Kyuhyun nodded slowly. “That’s a possibility. Keep me posted.” He turned and began walking away, but Jungmo stopped him.

“Do you think it’ll take a long time to complete this mission?” he asked.

“I’m not sure,” Kyuhyun responded, “it might…or it might not be.”

“That wasn’t decisive at all,” Jungmo remarked wryly.

“There are so many possibilities and in the end, it could just be a fluke.” He rolled his eyes. “I’m all for missions and helping save the world or whatever, but if some kid is going to off himself, then it’s his business. If we were out to save every single soul from self destruction, then I would have to drop out of this business.”

He smiled faintly, “Cold, Kyu.”

“Realistic,” he corrected, “It’s not possible to save everyone, and to only save a couple isn’t fulfilling. If I planned to end suicide in the population, I wouldn’t be satisfied unless I could eradicate it all.”

Jungmo let go of the man. “I see.”

“Tell me when you find out anything,” he grunted, turning a corner swiftly.

Kyuhyun was barely out of the library when he bumped into someone. Looking down, he saw Sunggyu staring right back at him. “Are you okay?” Kyuhyun prompted, leaning forward a bit.

The student dropped his gaze. “Yeah, I’m fine,” he said quickly, “sorry, Mr. Cho!” Sunggyu paused for a moment and then peeked up, “Actually, can I talk to you about something?”

“I…guess so,” he responded slowly, having to remind him that teachers did this sort of stuff. Kyuhyun looked around and then nodded down the hall towards the terrace doors. They walked in silence, glass doors being pushed open as Kyuhyun led the way out into the night.

Sunggyu leaned against the railing next to his newest and youngest teacher, fidgeting slightly. “Uhm…do you know anything about love?” he asked awkwardly.

“Love?” Kyuhyun stared at the boy, but then laughter was bubbling up inside of him and he covered his mouth.

“What?” Sunggyu demanded, frowning.

“Nothing, that was just cute,” he shook his head, chuckling and lowering his hand. “Love is something I can’t say I know very well. It’s very strange to me, too.”

“Have you ever been in love?”

Kyuhyun smiled and that was all the answer anyone would ever need. However, he did respond as he slid his hands over the white railing, “Yeah…I think so. He isn’t very happy with me most of the time though.”

“I don’t think that’s true,” Sunggyu argued, “If it’s love, it’s reciprocated, right?”

“Why do you think so?” Kyuhyun mused.

“Well, you can love someone unconditionally,” he offered, “but to be in love with someone requires both sides to love…at least that’s how I see it.”

He was quiet for a long moment, rolling those words around in his head. “I understand that,” Kyuhyun admitted carefully, “but sometimes, you just can’t be with someone even if you love each other. Things aren’t always so simple.” He shrugged. “Anyway, why did you even bring this up? Who are you thinking of?” Kyuhyun grinned.

The boy visibly flushed in the semi-darkness. “…I just think he’s really cute and sweet.”

“Oh, it’s a boy!” he smirked.

Sunggyu huffed. “What’s wrong with that?”

“Nothing, nothing,” he laughed, “really, there’s nothing wrong with that.”

“Yeah,” he nodded firmly, “I know.” The boy drummed his fingers on the smooth white stone boxing them onto the terrace. “I haven’t known him for very long though. I’ve known him for about as long as I’ve known you, Mr. Cho, and that’s not an extensive period. But when he’s around I really feel…like he’s the best person to have ever existed.”

Kyuhyun whistled, “Those are really big words. Do you know if he likes you?”

“No…I haven’t said anything about it to him,” he shrugged, “I feel like he’ll get scared.”

“You haven’t even tried,” Kyuhyun pushed off from the cold railing, “Go and ask him to hang out sometime off-campus and see how he likes it. He could very well like you and you just haven’t given him a chance to say so.”

Sunggyu slumped, looking exasperated. “Everything you say is too simple. I don’t feel like life is actually that easy.”

“It isn’t, but if you can make it that easy, that’s for the best,” Kyuhyun responded.

The boy was about to say something, but then there was a muffled scream, a loud thump, and the sound of a dragging body.