3:8

Incorruptible

 

 

 

“You’re being pitied,” Donghae responded with an arm slung across the back of the seat, fingers brushing Ryeowook’s shoulder, “That should be clear, right?”

Kyuhyun stared at the other male, uncomprehending. Pitied? Why would they save them out of pity? Or rather, why had Ryeowook chosen to save them? It was clear that Donghae was separating himself from the decision to act as hero. Glancing at Ryeowook, he tried to garner an answer, but the slender figure was gazing out the window.

“Why were you there?” Taemin winced, biting back the shivers of pain.

“Same reason as you,” Donghae shrugged, “we’re shutting them down.”

“That seems oddly good,” Kyuhyun scoffed.

Ryeowook’s hand twitched; an action that didn’t go unseen by the spy. Another action that didn’t go unseen was the slow arm that closed around Ryeowook’s shoulders. Donghae kept the distance between them small, every movement careful and natural.

From an outside perspective, Taemin was at a loss. He could clearly tell that Ryeowook was Donghae’s property, but what he couldn’t comprehend was the disdain on Kyuhyun’s face. Why was he so upset at seeing Donghae with someone else? Could they have something going on? Or wait, Taemin blinked a few times, feeling dizzy as he lost more blood. There was a very obvious fact he was missing, but at the moment it just wasn’t happening.

“We’re here,” Donghae remarked, just as the car came to a stop and the door was opened for Ryeowook.

The latter stepped out wordlessly, shoes tapping on the concrete with every step away. Donghae climbed out next, waiting for the pair to pull themselves together. Kyuhyun half-carried Taemin, who was limping and covered in blood. It wasn’t the best sight, but it probably could’ve been worse. At least the wound wasn’t fatal.

Kyuhyun slowly shuffled to the door held open for them by a suited guard. Inside, the air conditioning was refreshing after the stuffy heat. Taemin breathed unsteadily beside him, his lame leg sliding across the sleek tile heavily.

“Here,” Donghae pushed a door near the garage open.

Without argument, Kyuhyun helped Taemin inside. There was a doctor standing at attention, as well as a variety of medical supplies. A metal table rested to one side and Kyuhyun quickly led Taemin over, laying him down on the operating surface. “It’ll be okay,” he whispered to the boy before backing up.

Taemin simply nodded, closing his eyes.

“We’ll inform you when he’s stable again,” the doctor bowed his head, walking them back to the door.

Donghae said nothing, leaving with Kyuhyun a few steps behind. The office door shut in the distance as they travelled further into the facility. “So why did you save me?” he prompted, stopping in the middle of the corridor.

Slowing down, Donghae turned around, smiling humorlessly. “You think I saved you?” He paused, giving Kyuhyun a long look before continuing, “He acted on his own.”

“Out of pity?”

“I would hope so,” Donghae mused, “But hope and reality don’t often correlate, I’ve found.”

“You’re admitting a serious insecurity,” Kyuhyun slid his foot forward.

“There’s nothing to hide from you,” he replied, eyes dark and emotionless, “It’s not like I could even feign confidence in a situation like this.”

“Why did you take him?”

Donghae smiled a little. “Don’t get ahead of yourself,” he twisted around, beginning to walk again, “Come.”

They entered a room some ways down the hall and after a turn or two. Kyuhyun closed the door behind him, lifting his head in time to see Ryeowook turn away from a window. It really was impossible. Kyuhyun couldn’t get beyond how beautiful he was in person. The years hadn’t done a thing to Ryeowook, except maybe bless him.

Thinking beyond his outer appearance meant opening a box of serious pain and mental blockage. There was no way Kyuhyun would tear it open.

“Your agency wants the group to disappear, and so do we,” Ryeowook spoke clearly, coldly. His eyes stayed far away, hands tucked inside his pockets as he stood across the room from Kyuhyun. “Without us, you have no other chance to getting on the inside. Therefore, for the benefit of us both, it would be best to team up.”

“There’s no reason to do something like that when you’re clearly in control of the situation,” Kyuhyun answered with confidence he hardly knew of. Whatever crap he was spewing definitely wasn’t processing beforehand.

Ryeowook’s eyes flickered over to him. “It’s not a matter of centralized power. It’s to achieve a goal that most benefits the world. Do you have a problem with that?”

“I have a problem with working with you.” , , what are you saying? Of course you want to work with him. Why are you being such a stupid ?

Behind him, Donghae stifled a laugh, arms crossed over his chest, smirk on his lips. Kyuhyun ignored the appearance, looking away from the two people in the room.

“…Then will you go back to your agency and tell them you failed because of personal reasons?” Ryeowook kept his distance, but the mere tone of his voice reached across the distance, wrapping around Kyuhyun like a lukewarm towel.

“I’d rather do that then work with you.” My lord, you’re an idiot. What are you doing? This is ridiculous. Pull it together and tell him what you really want to say. “A runaway will never be trustworthy.” Nice going, er.

“You don’t have to trust me,” Ryeowook replied calmly, “but all of that happened a long time ago. Take this opportunity or else you’ll never succeed in your mission.” He turned around, fully facing Kyuhyun then. There was a firm glow in his eyes, keeping them alive and calculating. “Don’t make another mistake.”

Another mistake?” Kyuhyun repeated, “And what does that mean?”

“If we hadn’t come to save you and your partner, there wouldn’t even be a second chance,” he retorted, voice steady.

“No one told you to save me,” he snapped, “so don’t even begin to lecture me.”

Donghae sighed, kicking away from the wall and walking to the door. “I’m going to check on Lee Taemin. Come to a decision by the time I come back or I’m ending this.” He shut the door upon leaving.

The room silenced. Kyuhyun immediately closed the space between them, crushing Ryeowook’s slight frame against his body. Pants rose from his throat, burning his lungs and bringing tremors to his limbs.

“You’re really here,” he crumpled, voice barely above a whisper, “Oh my god, you’re here…” Kyuhyun closed his eyes, seemingly never planning to let go of Ryeowook.

“Let go of me.”

“Why?” Kyuhyun demanded, feeling the small body flinch in his arms. “I…I’ve waited so long. I’m not going to let go.”

Ryeowook sighed softly, his tone gentler this time, “Let go.” Bringing his hands up to Kyuhyun’s waist, he pushed at him, murmuring “You heard Donghae.”

“What? He’ll end things? Good, then you can end things,” Kyuhyun shook his head, unable to get enough of Ryeowook.

“No,” his voice was tight, “He’s going to put a bullet through your head if we don’t come to a decision.” That loosened the grip up significantly. Ryeowook managed to lift his head up to look at Kyuhyun. There were conflicting emotions reflected in both of their gazes, but neither addressed them. “Say yes, or you’re going to die tonight.”

“....can I just ask you something?” Kyuhyun brushed the back of his hand across Ryeowook’s cheek.

Silence.

“…why him? Why did you leave?”

Ryeowook’s gaze was unwavering as he managed to unhook Kyuhyun’s arms from around him. “It wasn’t him. I need to express my vision of justice. This is the path I chose.” Backing towards the window, Ryeowook closed his eyes tiredly, “Say yes. I can’t stand to see your corpse.”

“Is that why you saved me back there?” Kyuhyun questioned faintly.

“Among other things,” he answered.

“Fine,” Kyuhyun stepped back as he heard the door opening. Donghae appeared on the threshold, Taemin at his side. “I’ll help you.”