2:3 Solace

Incorruptible

 

 

“There are some rules that we live by.” Siwon placed his drink down on the white tablecloth. A flickering candle rested between us, casting shadows wherever it pleased.

I put my utensil down, staring back at him. In the month that I had been with Siwon, there wasn’t much interaction aside from the nightly check-in. Days were spent with a private tutor, meals, and heavy doses of reading. Every free moment had been taken by reading literature or completing tasks issued by a middle man.

“We don’t go by standards of society, but that doesn’t mean we refuse to intermingle with their ideas,” he explained calmly, “for instance, I do not kill people and neither will you. Ordering the death of a person is different from getting your hands dirty.”

“Got it,” I nodded, looking down at the plate before me. I wasn’t scared. I wasn’t uncomfortable either. My father had been shot half a dozen times; I had grown up knowing that I was the son of a man people hated.

“Good, then I will further tell you that you are not joining the newly aligned food chain as prey,” Siwon punched each word, “We don’t play meaningless games, therefore you must remember to never be trapped by useless things either. The world is controlled by the person with the greatest amount of control. It doesn’t matter if you’re incredibly smart or conniving; what matters is that you’re capable of garnering the assets necessary to play the field as you please.”

“And how do I get those assets?”

Siwon smiled. “Fortunately, I wouldn’t have taken you in if I wasn’t planning on setting you off. I’m playing my own game right now,” he nodded towards me slowly, and I felt my heart stricken for a second, “It’s a game about finding the person most fit to take my place. I’ve been in this business for years and I’m bored of it all now.” He picked up his glass, rolling his wrist to make the liquid swirl. “In two years, I’m going to transfer all assets to you. At that time, you’ll have learned how to do everything, I’m sure.”

“…Why did you choose me?” It had been bothering me since the first time we met. Of all the people out there, what made me special? Was there anything even special about me? I couldn’t fathom it at all. Deep down, I wasn’t especially interesting or passionate. Over all, I thought of myself as normal.

Siwon’s expression didn’t change. “You see the world in a way that I can relate to. Others would call you strange, perhaps cynical, but I can see beyond that. Your eyes are sharp and clear and truly impressionable.” His head tilted to one side thoughtfully, “I won’t lie to you; you’re greatest point of interest is how easy it is to mold your character. Inside, you keep hold of your convictions, but you’ll do anything to keep that tiny part of you stable – even if that means changing the world around you.”

“I’m trying to decide if I should be offended,” I admitted. He had insulted me numerous times in that explanation, but I couldn’t argue with them, so were they no longer insults?

Nonetheless, he was right on.

I didn’t care about the world changing around me. Even after that night with Kyuhyun I didn’t care enough to cling onto my former life. He wasn’t enough. No one could be enough. I had attempted to shed tears when I left him in the morning, but none came.

After finally crossing that line, I ran headlong on a new path. If I stuck around, Kyuhyun probably would’ve made me happy. Then again, maybe he wouldn’t have. Maybe I would’ve continued being chained by a -ridden father and a complicated, messy relationship with a moody boy.

Like I said back then, I’m done.

“So are you offended?” Siwon prompted.

I shook my head. “No, I’m not.”

“Good, then we can move on. There are two liabilities no one can escape. First, greed of those around you will continuously put you in a position of stress and distrust. Those emotions must be kept under check at all times. Dealing with people in this industry requires a fair amount of stoicism.” He tapped the table with his index finger. “And two, your greatest liability is love.”

“I don’t love anyone,” I answered quickly.

“That’s a lie,” Siwon retorted mildly, “but beside the point right now. Love is a liability remedied with love. Heartbreak will cause a downfall. Affection will keep you stable so long as both sides are mutually accepting of one another.” He was giving me a somewhat pitying look that I wanted to smudge off his face. “For you, I would say that it’s time you begin letting go of Kyuhyun. He’s a distraction that will compromise you and him in the future. I’ve spent a lot of time with Kyuhyun and although he’s a handful, I care for the boy. Continuing to feel anything for him will only result in more pain.”

I wanted so badly to refute his advice, but I couldn’t think of anything to say. My chest ached, however, other than that I knew my body wasn’t reacting to the words. I wasn’t planning on seeing Kyuhyun anymore. It was a decision I made the moment I left that house. “Understood.”

“Now, as I said, love is the remedy for love,” Siwon stood up from the table, grabbing his jacket from a waiting attendant, “It doesn’t have to be romantic love, nor does it have to be a lover-like affection. You simply need someone who is reachable and recognized as the most important person in your life. Considering your new life, I assume you don’t have an important someone yet?” It sounded like a question, and was phrased as a question, but I was sure that it was highly rhetorical.

“No,” I answered, anyway. The sky was polluted with light when we got outside, but beyond the city rays, there was a vast network of stars and deep hues of blue. What time was it?

A hand dropped onto my shoulder and I pulled back to attention. Following Siwon’s gaze, I found Yesung – that was his lover apparently, and his right-hand man; I’m still unsure as to whether or not he was the one who held me at gun point – who leaned against a black car. Beside him was a dark haired young man. His face was lean and noticeably handsome.

There was a little smile playing on his lips and when our eyes met, I had to take a step back. A challenge rested in his gaze that no one had ever extended to me before.

“This is Lee Donghae,” Siwon’s voice stated, but it sounded muffled.

I nodded along, unable to break eye contact with the person named Donghae.

“He’s Yesung’s heir,” he went on, “and he’s your most important person.”