3:17

Incorruptible

 

 

 

Jungmo snubbed out his cigarette, strumming his guitar softly in the early evening light. The dorm room was relatively quiet except for the gentle breathing of his roommate. There were two beds with a four foot space between them for walking. A bay window was set on the opposing wall to the door, which was Jungmo’s declared spot for the duration of the mission.

Eyes trailing over to the slumbering boy in bed, he smiled a little. Setting the guitar down, he closed the window and just as he went for the instrument again, there was a stirring in the bed.

Drowsy brown eyes opened and the cutest little face popped up from the pillows and sheets. His hair was slightly out of place and his lips were parted in confusion, but still, he was one of the most adorable kids Jungmo had ever seen. How a boy like that could’ve ever been sold for ion…he didn’t know. What sort of twisted person would you have to be to want to touch someone like that ually?

“You awake?” Jungmo prompted, plucking the strings of his guitar absently. He watched Henry shake his head and flop back down. Chuckling, the older male continued playing softly until his roommate found the energy to get up.

Henry yawned and stretched, the oversized t-shirt rustling a bit. “Hi, hyung,” he mumbled, eyes still closed, “what time is it?”

“Just past six,” he murmured, “you did well earlier today, by the way.”

“Thank you,” the boy grinned, eyes turning up sweetly.

Jungmo stared at him for a moment too long, unable to look away from the adorable child. Really, what sick bastard wanted to do anything explicit with that boy? Shaking his head in disgust, he went back to strumming. “I had no idea you could act that well. Even I second guessed whether or not you were the one they sent.”

“I like being this person. It feels special to me,” Henry explained in a small voice, “kind of like…I don’t have to be the person I was raised up as. There are so many options in life.”

“That’s right,” he nodded understandingly.

“I owe it all to them,” he looked up at Jungmo, “if they weren’t there that day, I would probably be in some refugee center or a government facility.”

“I agree. I’m glad that you’re here with us as well,” the black haired, handsome man smiled wistfully. He leaned into his instrument, beginning to play a soft, merry tune.

Henry listened in silence, enjoying the notes floating through the room. Looking around, he spotted his violin case and opened it. Lifting the instrument out, he checked the strings and then ran his bow experimentally. Sweet music joined the guitar. Jungmo caught Henry’s eye approvingly.

They played together impromptu, silently exchanging laughs here and there.

“Is Cho Kyuhyun a nice person?” Henry whispered as they both lowered the level of playing until it was a mere hum.

“Does it matter?” Jungmo remarked, raising an eyebrow.

“Maybe,” he shrugged, “I don’t want to hurt anyone unnecessarily.”

“If something arises, don’t worry,” the elder dismissed, “I’ll be there. Your hands will stay clean.”

Henry flushed, looking down. “You don’t have to protect me, hyung.”

“I want to,” Jungmo smiled, “each of us has ideals on justice that have never quite fit with the rest of society. For me, I feel above all else that I am only doing my best when I keep the ones most innocent and vital safe. You’re one of those people, Henry.”

“You’re really kind for having just met me,” he giggled, playing a particularly crisp and high note.

“Length of time doesn’t matter. I can see it clearly that you’re good in every sense of the word.”

Henry was quiet for a brief second, “Then, what about Donghae-hyung? He’s not the…most innocent man.”

“I protect him because he has the same heart as I do. It might not reach out to every person out there, but he does what he can to keep Ryeowook safe. That’s enough for me.”

He let his head rise and fall subtly. “Do you have any ideas about what’s going on at this school?”

“No idea,” Jungmo mumbled, head tilted towards the window, “I’m rather positive that they wouldn’t have sent us if it was simply a suicide case.”

“Are you saying they know the problem?”

“No,” he shook his head, “I’m sure they have a hunch though. We’ll have to figure this out soon. The longer it takes, the more likely things will escalate.”

Henry frowned. “What do you mean?”

“If they aren’t regular suicides, what options are left?” His voice was low and careful, dark eyes lifting up to peer at the boy.

It took barely a moment for that information to process and then Henry was clenching his fists. “Ah…I get it.”

There was a knock at the door then. They exchanged a look before Henry proceeded to the entrance to the room, opening it. Sunggyu was standing on the other side of the threshold. That wasn’t quite what Jungmo or Henry had been expecting, but that was alright.

“I’m your R.A. so I came to check up on you guys,” he stated, grinning, “it’s pretty common to get transfers, so we’re very careful about making sure you guys feel welcome.”

“Oh, thank you,” Henry bowed his head with false clumsiness. He glanced back up at Sunggyu, confused at the expression on the male’s face. “Uhm, hyung, did I do something wrong?”

The other student shook his head quickly. “No, no,” a smile spread across his lips, “I’m just surprised that an underclassman knows how to be so polite.” He laughed and stepped into the room. “Usually, I get the kind of reception Jungmo is giving me.”

At the sound of his name, the older boy looked up and smiled in a vaguely apologetic way. “We’re roughly the same age. It’s hard to bow my head in respect.”

“How old are you?”

“Mm, eighteen,” he answered easily. It was a lie, but that didn’t matter. He could easily pass for eighteen. Kyuhyun certainly barely passed for a teacher.

Sunggyu sat down on one of the beds, stretching out. “So have you guys enjoyed your first few days?”

“It’s been fun,” Henry replied, sitting down at the desk.

“That’s good to hear,” he chuckled, “do you have any questions at all?”

“Uhm…,” the boy trailed off, looking confused. Sunggyu just laughed, giving Henry a smile.

Jungmo chimed in then, saying, “Who’s the best and worst teacher in the music department?”

“Best teacher…,” he looked up at the ceiling and then back down, “that would definitely have to be Mr. Cho. He’s so funny and harsh. Before he transferred here though, it would have to have been Mr. Lee Eunhyuk. As for the worst teacher,” Sunggyu made a face, “it definitely has to be Mr. Kim Heechul.”

“Why are they the best and worst?”

Sunggyu chuckled, “Eunhyuk is an awesome instructor because he loves to teach us. Heechul is very lazy and he’s more interested in teaching acting.”

Henry’s eyes shifted back and forth as he thought, bottom lip being chewed by teeth. The R.A. looked over at him, frowning. Standing up, he crouched down in front of the cute boy, pinching his cheeks. Flabbergasted, Henry’s head shot up.

“You…are so cute,” Sunggyu muttered, running his thumbs over the soft, supple skin, “What should I do?” he teased, tousling the boy’s hair and standing up.

“S-Sorry,” Henry cast his eyes down, embarrassment flushing his face.

“Still too cute,” he laughed, heading for the door, “if you guys have any other questions, I’ll be around. See you guys on campus.” He waved goodbye, shutting the door behind him.

Jungmo turned his attention to Henry, “We should go talk to Kim Heechul soon, hmm?”

The boy nodded.