1:11 Doors

Incorruptible

 

 

I had never questioned myself on matters of morals before. In the past, it seemed normal to me that the thoughts I had were common. Justice didn’t exist. Right and wrong were just words. What did exist was a higher power that controlled our actions. Whether or not they were in the right was never a concern of mine. Society operated by their rules, so I played along thinking that everyone was just pretending like me.

But then the bluntest person I know said “Yeah, otherwise I wouldn’t have a parole officer” in relation to my question about justice.

Cho Kyuhyun was the greatest rebel to our society and even he believed in the natural alignment that society had set. I couldn’t understand what was going on. If anyone could ease me, it was supposed to be him.

Of all the people in the world, how could he not question the system?

If justice really existed, Kyuhyun wouldn’t be on parole; he would already be under lock and key as a menace to the greater good. If justice was the core enforcer in society, why were so-called criminals roaming around freely, and why could money solve every problem?

I never understood and I thought I wasn’t alone in thinking these things.

The television clicked off. Kyuhyun must have done that. How long had I been pretending to sleep already? He slid further under the covers, his body pressing forward to hold me close. I relaxed in the warmth, calming down as I breathed in his familiar scent. Kyuhyun at these times wasn’t the delinquent who treated the world like a personal garbage dump. The one that stayed beside me when I needed it most was Kyuhyun the friend.

I hated to admit it, but sometimes we crossed a strange line. We had never been enemies or friends. Over the years, a game had come about where we tested the shallow borders of the invisible line. Depending on what suited us best in the certain situation, we could be enemies or companions.

Sometimes, when we crossed over to companion territory, we inched a little closer to lovers, I admit.

Like at times when I wanted him around and we fell asleep together – those were more lover-like qualities than best friends. I wouldn’t deny liking it, though. He was capable and smart and when he was holding onto me as if letting go wasn’t an option, how could I not feel safe?

His breathing grew even and that was when I knew he had fallen fast asleep. I wondered sometimes how he slept when I wasn’t around. Did he get enough rest? Or was he so cranky because he couldn’t sleep?

I rested a hand on the dip of his waist, keeping my other hand pressed against his chest.

He drove me crazy, but he never let me get absorbed by the crazy. For that singular fact, I was thankful.

 

When morning came, the hangover was gone and so was Kyuhyun. Stretching out, I checked the clock, seeing the time displayed as eleven. Had I really slept nearly to noon? “Crap,” I muttered into the pillow, pushing my body up reluctantly and dragging myself out of bed.

It took ten minutes to finish my morning routine and then I was heading downstairs. Strangely enough, my father still wasn’t home. Normally, there was some trace of him, whether that was a used coffee pot or a plate in the sink, however, I found nothing. He hadn’t been home in two days already.

Scratch that, I did have something. It was a note, folded and scratched across lying on the counter. I unfolded it, scanning the lines:

 

I won’t be home for the rest of the wee – out of town business to take care of. If Kyuhyun gets into trouble or if you need something, call the local police department. –Dad

 

Well, that was an explanation, at least.

Fishing my phone out of pocket, I flipped it open to find a new voice mail. There were only a few people in the world who knew my number, and none of them should’ve needed me already. Although it was late, it wasn’t so late that voice mails and phone calls were necessary. It was an age of text messages and picture mail.

I followed the voice mail box’s instructions, holding the phone up to my ear as the recording started to play.

First unheard message: Hello, Ryeowook.” I felt my muscles tighten. “This is Choi Siwon. Call me anytime you want to finish our conversation. I’ll be waiting. End of message.”

It was only natural that I should delete the message. I just wondered why I didn’t.

 

***

 

Days and then weeks went by without much noise. School was coming to an end and everyone seemed to be a lot more bothered by it than I would’ve thought. For one, all of Mir’s little friends were running around getting phone numbers, making summer vacation plans, and taking pictures at every opportunity. Not to mention, Kyuhyun had begun a new game of his own. It had nothing to do with me, instead focusing on Mir.

They were dating, or that’s what everyone believed.

Kyuhyun dismissed any claims to that whenever he stopped by. It was, as he called it, “Something to pass the time.” As long as he was interested in playing the good boy, then I had no qualms – it was less work for me.

If ever I thought Kyuhyun was really starting to fall for Mir, those ideas would soon vanish when we were one on one and I found him to be the same party-hard delinquent I had known for years. Just now, he kept it a secret, which I think was what made him so fascinated with make-believe-dating. Kyuhyun had posed himself a challenge and joyously reaped the satisfaction of knowing that he could play someone else so well. It wasn’t even close to admirable, but it was undeniably impressive.

“Listen up, everyone,” the teacher called out. We organized ourselves and looked up at him. There was a boy standing beside him and I knew right away that it had to be a new student – what else? “I know you’re all going to be graduating in just a short month and a half, but make sure you welcome this brief new classmate of yours. He’ll be here until the end, so we’ll let him introduce himself.”

The boy was ushered in front of the teacher. His features were clean and attractive, hair dark as it lay over his forehead. From what I could tell, he was rather tall – taller than Kyuhyun – with slightly wider shoulders. He smiled at us, introducing himself as, “I’m Changmin. Sorry for barging into your class last minute. My dad works for the government, so we move around a lot. Let’s get along for the next month or so.”

And then some stupid kid had to go and yell out, “Hey! Ryeowook’s dad works for the government too. I bet you sticklers would get along great!” It had to be one of Kyuhyun’s friends. They were always making a ruckus, but without Kyuhyun to lead them, they had simmered down quite a bit – enough that I could ignore their existence.

Changmin looked around the room curiously eyes bright. “Oh? Who’s Ryeowook?”

“Over there.” I hated that kid.

Our eyes locked from across the room and for the first few moments, he seemed friendly enough, but then he frowned as if I had offended him somehow. He turned his head away just as the teacher called off the bustling voices and movement.

A crumpled paper ball flew at me, landing on the surface of my desk. Peering up, I saw Kyuhyun nodding towards the crudely wrapped message. Biting my lip, I unfolded it.

 

You know that guy?

 

Taking out a pen, I scribbled a reply:

 

No

 

 I chucked it back at him. In his obnoxiously smooth way, he caught it, unwrapping it without delay. A smirk played across his lips and then he tossed the notes into the trashcan behind him. I watched as his head lifted up to see Changmin hovering over him.

Kyuhyun glanced at the empty seat in front of him, proceeding to hook his foot under the chair and swiftly knock it over. “Sorry bro, find another seat,” he shrugged casually.

“I want this seat,” Changmin kicked the chair back up, sitting down in one fluid motion. He dropped his elbow on the edge of Kyuhyun’s desk leaning forward into the latter’s personal space. “You don’t have a problem with that, right?”

In that moment, I could already see an infinite amount of interest in my ward’s face. Kyuhyun was enjoying the disruption much more than he should’ve, then again, knowing him, this was about right.

On the other side of the room, I caught sight of Mir’s confused and soon to be insecure expression. Well, the insecurity would go away soon. If there was something new to entertain Kyuhyun, he didn’t need an annoyance tying him down.

When I turned back around to look at Kyuhyun, my eyes locked onto Changmin who was watching me like I was a convicted criminal. I swore I didn’t know him, yet for some reason, he gave me the most disapproving glower anyone could give. He averted his gaze moments after I saw him staring, but that was hardly the end of it.

 

 

 

 

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Thanks for the support everyone : ) I hope I don't disappoint with this one ^^ Tell me what you think, or not, I understand either way. I just hope you're enjoying the story for what it is haha

See you guys soon