3:24

Incorruptible

 

 

“That was a mistake.”

“Thanks.”

“No really, that shouldn’t have happened.” Ryeowook curled closer into himself, but didn’t try to break away from the arms surrounding him. He looked up at Kyuhyun who lay back against the warm earth.

The sun was just beginning to rise, sky pale blue as it chased away the darkness and stars. Kyuhyun peered down at the disheveled Ryeowook. “Why did you let it happen then?”

“Because…,” he trailed off, “…because I saw you…and I thought it was a dream, a desert hallucination—”

“—same here,” Kyuhyun cut in, “are you going to say that you regret it because it wasn’t one of those things? I’m here. We’re here. And nothing has changed.”

“Except for the entire world,” Ryeowook muttered.

“ the world,” he rolled his eyes, “if I gave a damn, I wouldn’t be here right now, and neither would you.”

“False,” he retorted, “I came here on a mission.”

“Is that why you’re a girl?” he cocked an eyebrow.

Ryeowook flushed. Sitting up, he gazed down at Kyuhyun. “The estate owner is a major drug dealer. He’s going to be selling a new drug on the black market that can’t be released. It’s more than dangerous. It has capabilities that could destroy everything society has worked for.”

“You’re going to kill him?”

“No,” he shook his head, “I’ve never even shot someone.”

Kyuhyun sat up then, eyes widening. “You’re…serious. You’ve never shot anyone and you’re supposedly the biggest badass in our world.”

Ryeowook thought about leaning away, but before he knew it, he was leaning into the other male, arms wrapping around his body as he rested in his lap. “…this is a mistake.”

“The only mistake was you getting those hair extensions.” Kyuhyun tilted his face up, pressing their lips together again, indulging in the sweet, electric touch. “But seriously…tell me that you haven’t been waiting for this. Tell me that, and we’ll pretend this moment of…weakness, never happened.” He tilted his head, kissing Ryeowook’s jaw softly. “You’ve driven me across the world and back in search of you. This won’t be the end. I’ll just keep coming back because I have nothing else. You’re it, Ryeowook.”

“I have my own world,” he shook his head, “we—”

“—ditch it.”

“Kyuhyun.”

“Same my name again.”

Ryeowook sighed, unable to help a smile. A smirk returned it and Kyuhyun leaned forward, capturing another kiss. “Kyuhyun…,” he murmured.

“What’s more important?” he demanded, “your happiness right now, or your continued justice seeking? There’s always going to be someone else seeking justice. The world isn’t lost if you’re gone. Things don’t start and end with you. So…stop bearing the weight of the world. Just bear me. I’m enough, aren’t I?”

“You have a weird way of arguing,” Ryeowook remarked. I took a deep breath. “I will never stop thinking about you, but right now, do you really think it’s best for us to push what we have?”

“This is the only time!” Kyuhyun snapped. “I won’t let things end, so take me now and save yourself a hell of a lot of time. You’re going to be with me in the end, why not enjoy as much time together as we can?”

“It’s all too fast.”

“It is not,” he shot down, jaw setting, “how many years have I been waiting for this? I’m not going to take it slow. Clearly you were ready to go fast as well.” Kyuhyun’s eyes traveled up and down their evidently bodies. “So…escape with me. Stop procrastinating.”

Ryeowook shook his head. “I have a mission here.” Just as Kyuhyun was about to continued arguing, Ryeowook continued, “And when the mission ends, I have a friend who can help…us.”

“…what?” his voice broke, and he quickly cleared it, lowering his gaze.

“When I saw you last night,” he spoke slowly, “I was ready to never wake up…if you happened to be just a dream.”

 

***

 

“How are things going?” Donghae asked over the phone.

Jungmo was striding down the hallway towards the infirmary. The sun was rising, the hallways quiet. “Fine. Henry was great bait. Things are running smoothly. I’ll be meeting with a possible culprit this evening.”

“That’s good. What about Kyuhyun?” he questioned.

“He’s…,” Jungmo pursed his lips, and then clenched his fist, “he’s doing what’s expected of him.” Technically not a lie…

“I see,” Donghae muttered, “be sure to send me a status report as soon as possible. I’ll be waiting.” And then the line went dead.

Rubbing his head, Jungmo headed into the infirmary, quietly closing the door behind him. “Henry…you awake?” he asked gently, coming to sit on the edge of the boy’s bed.

The one in question nodded and pointed at the nervously fidgeting boy in the bed next to him. “That guy…the one you brought in a couple days ago is awake. He told me some stuff…,” Henry spoke softer, “He’s really scared. An adult with a scary voice spoke to him and kept telling him to write a suicide note. He refused to…and then he said you and Kyuhyun caught up and stopped the man before they could get to this…building thing. I’m not sure. He stopped talking.” He glanced at the other student.

“I see…,” Jungmo patted Henry’s head. “Well don’t worry about it. I’ll figure things out. Just rest…I’ll close the case tonight, alright?” He smiled softly.

“Okay,” the boy grinned, “I’ll be here then. I’m surprised it went so fast.”

“We don’t like to take our time,” he winked, “in and out, that’s how we operate. Rest for now, and don’t get into any trouble.” Jungmo stood up, heading out of the room to his classes. It would be the only thing to kill the boredom until that night.

Henry lied back down on the bed, shutting his eyes and trying to sleep.