Birthday

Shatter My World

EunJi squealed. Actually squealed. It was her 21st birthday. There were few days that she allowed it to be all about her. It made her feel uncomfortable but she loved her birthday. All of her friends that were always busy would stop and think of her maybe. The boys would change their schedules to make sure they were there. She guessed what she loved was having everyone around her.

“Yah stop squirming around.” Jaejoong elbowed her, as EunJi kicked her feet in delight. “You are such a little kid,” mumbled Jaejoong. A laugh could be heard above them,

“And you didn’t know that before?”

“She is turning 21 Yunho, she isn’t the little cute baby girl anymore,” Jaejoong teased. EunJi puffed up he cheeks in indignation.

“I am too still cute!” She pounced on Jaejoong messing his hair up.

“Yah, YAH!” Changmin laughed, lazily flopping on top of them both.

“You are smoushinggggg meeeeee!” EunJi yelled out poking Changmin’s side.

“WHAT ABOUT ME. YOU BOTH ARE ON ME!” Jaejoong was trying to push them off, but failing miserably.

“Don’t kill him.” Yoochun sat down and leaned on Changmin’s back.

“I want to join!” Junsu’s voice fast approached as he leap onto the pile. A combination of groans ensued as Junsu’s weigh was added to them.

“I think we killed Jaejoong.” EunJi’s voice was muffled under the other three. Yunho pulled them off one at a time. When they reached Jaejoong he was laying on the bed spread eagle groaning.

“I hate you all.” Jaejoong groaned out before toppling out of the bed.

 

EunJi bounded down stairs to breakfast. Jaejoong’s grumblings could still be heard from the kitchen.

“What are we doing today?!” She was practically bouncing as she sat down and picked up her bowl of seaweed soup.

“What do you want to do?” She frowned there was nothing she was dying to do, and things she did want to do she couldn’t. She pictured trying to go to the movies with DBSK. A shudder rippled through her body, the mobs of screaming girls was already ringing in her ears.

“Why are you guys so famous?”

“Kind of a professional hazard” Yunho said patting her on her head. EunJi muttered as she stuffed her face with food.

 

“Where are we going?” The boys after breakfast had pushed her to take a shower and threw her clothes. Now they were in the car driving.

“Well you couldn’t decide what you wanted to do so we decided for you.” EunJi nodded and looked out the window. It was lightly snowing, not unusual for March 7th, but it reminded her of that day a long time ago.

“Why are we here?” They were in front of the movie theater.

“Well,” Yoochun started, “you kept looking at Safe Haven’s movie poster every time we drove past a billboard, so we decided to go see it.”

“Even if it is a chick flick.” Changmin munched on a piece of kimbop.

“But….” EunJi stuttered, “Everyone will be staring at you and scream and girls and…” She shuddered.

“That is why,” Yunho turned around in his seat to look at her, “We bought the theater out.” gaped open.

“Anyway it has been ages since we have been to a movie theater.” Jaejoong had his feet up and shades on.

“You look like such a loser.” EunJi swiped Jaejoong’s shades.

“Like I don’t have a spare.” Jaejoong scoffed and put another pair on.

They walked into the movie theater, Changmin pulled Yunho over to the snack counter. The rest of the group ran into the theater, Junsu started running up and down the rows. They picked the seats right in the middle, feet up, popcorn, kimbop, drinks, and blankets.

“SHHHHHHHHH” EunJi hit Changmin as the lights dimmed and the movie trailers started.

By the end of the movie, EunJi was bawling. Not exactly because it had an ending like The Notebook, or that it was terrifically happy. In actuality it was quiet a strange movie and not anything like she had thought, but because Katie, Alex and Jo seemed too much like Hyori, HyunJoong, and her. It was a good cry, not a sad cry, but a refreshing cry.

“The movie lasted longer then we had planned, we have to go.” Yunho looked at his cellphone. They were rushed from the theater, police lined the door, as the story of DBSK was there had spread. Girls were screaming and throwing things at them. Changmin put a protective arm around her, and brought her to the car.

“We have to drop you off,” Jaejoong looked down at his phone.

“Where?”

“You’ll see.” Jaejoong smirked. She knew he loved this, knowing things she didn’t.

When the car finally stopped EunJi was pushed out of the car and told to behave. They were in front of a clothing boutique.

“Finally! You are late!” Minwoo grabbed her arm and pulled. The next hours was dresses being handed her to, putting them on, going out and having Minwoo shake his head no. “It has to be amazing! It is your 21st birthday!”  EunJi frowned. There were so many dressed. She put the next one on. “That is the one.”

“Really?” She did a little twirl.

“Yes.”

 

He slowly straightened up. Hyori had pulled out his favorite suit, it was a grey suit with a vest underneath it and a bow tie.  He had changed it. EunJi would always wrinkle her nose when he wore it. She would mutter something like ‘fashion terrorist’ and then leave the room. Instead he had on a black suit, with a white dress shirt and a regular tie. To him this seemed boring; to her she would say timeless and classic.

Hyori walked down in a red strapless dress. “You know it is March?” The dress seemed to be too short and too small.

“It’s fine, are we going?” He knew she wasn’t happy about this, going to the party. She went to his release party, and if she could do that, then he could do this.

“Let’s go.” The ride was silent. They didn’t talk until they walked into the party venue. All it was, was a “I’m going over there.” Before Hyori disappeared. He looked around, of course there were a lot of people. EunJi was so friendly that she made friends easily. He saw some of those Shinee boys, of course all of DBSK were there. Hyesung, Dongwan, Junjin, and Andy were out and about, he guess the other two were helping EunJi get ready. Poor them. He remembered her complaining about getting dressed up. The members of her variety shows were there, the coordinator noonas, directors, friends from dramas, and of course the rest of SS501 were there.

Music was spinning in the background. It was so elegant. He chuckled to himself. If it had been up to him he would have a karaoke machine, a huge kitchen, and a lot of poloroid cameras. But he wasn’t in charge of her birthday party.

“She’s coming.” HyunJoong looked up and his mouth fell open. Eric was escorting her down the stairs. She was wearing a long sleeve dark navy blue dress, the collar high like a turtle neck. When she turned he saw the whole back of the dress was cut out, dangerously low, a chain of small crystals going to the middle of her back with a large teardrop crystal. Her makeup was dark dramatic eyes, shear lip, and it was perfect. Her up in a bun, showing off her neck. She looked stunning.

He couldn’t take his eyes off of her. She held onto Eric as they descended the stairs. Her smile was brilliant.

“Thank you to everyone who is here. I can’t wait to talk to you all! Thank you for celebrating with me!” She shone, her happiness could almost be seen. The food was delicious.  He watched as she went up and talked to people. She laughed. She smiled.

“Happy Birthday.”

“Thanks.” It was his turn. He knew she wouldn’t black ball him, and he would be lying if he said he wasn’t waiting the whole night for this time. “Hair and make up took forever.”

“I bet.” He looked around. This was awkward. “Um….great party.” She smiled.

“Thank you. The guys went all out. Not exactly me, but I guess I should experience this once in my life.” She laughed slightly.

“Here.” He fumbled in his jacket pocket.

“Oh no, HyunJoong it’s fine. I don’t need a gift really. Just being with everyone here is all I ever wanted.” He took the package out and handed it to her. He turned and walked away.

“Thanks for coming….” He turned and nodded at her. “Why do you run?” He stopped again. Her voice was so soft he might have imagined it with the music being so loud. Four strides that was all that it took to reach her again. He grabbed a hold of her wrist and pulled. He wasn’t pulling her hard, she was moving her feet willingly. Outside it was cold. He took his coat off and draped it over her shoulders.

They made foot prints in the new snow, the crunch of the snowflakes breaking under their feet. He felt a tug at his sleeve. Looking up he saw her looking at the arcade. The warmth felt good. EunJi’s dress’s train was soaking wet from the snow. He cheeks and nose were red from the cold. “Ohhh!” She looked so grown up and then she scampers off to a video game machine. They sat playing games until her head slowly bobbed down to his shoulder. A quiet snore escaped her lips.

“I think, it’s time for me to take her.” HyunJoong jerked up to see Yunho and Changmin standing in the corner watching them. He nodded. Changmin lifted her into his arms. “Thanks for giving her a good birthday.” Yunho smiled at him. “She was worried you wouldn’t come.” They left and he smiled.

“I wouldn’t have missed it for the world.” He murmured as he went out into the snow again.