The Elevator

Shatter My World

HyunJoong had felt guilty. JungMin was one of his good friends. He was a part of SS501 and his ‘brother.’ The day hadn’t turned out like he had planned and HyunJoong was in a bad mood. Everything that Hyori did just pissed him off more. He wanted to get out of his apartment. He had decided half way through the night he was going to JungMin’s release party. He had turned down the offer, because Hyori didn’t want to be seen around that crowd. He didn’t care. He got up and left. Hyori had trailed behind him. He knew he was late, but at least he would show up and support his friend.

The photographers around the party venue were crazy. They were shouting names and flashing pictures. All the voices combined so he couldn’t hear specifically anything, but he swore he heard EunJi’s name. When they walked into the room, he realized that JungMin was in the middle of his performance. He caught the eye of Jungmin who was on stage with a girl. He saw that JungMin frowned and kept watching him.  HyunJoong looked around the room, there were a good number of people there. The lyrics really got to him. He glanced at the stage again. He wondered who the girl was. Her dress hugged her body. It was a very y dress, he liked it. She was a little thin for his taste.

Then the girl turned towards him and their eyes connected. He tried not to gape. It was EunJi. The first thing that came to mind was that she shouldn’t be wearing that dress it was far to revealing, and that he disliked that dress. He wondered how she got it past Jaejoong. If he had previously had those thoughts, other men in this room were having the same thoughts. He watched, squinting at the stage. Every move that JungMin made, all the words he was saying was remembered and recorded. He didn’t like how close they were or the lyric content. Hyori tugged at his arm.

“Oppa. Why are we here? No one famous is here…”  He ignored her. Was EunJi in a relationship with JungMin? Why was she here? Why was she here wearing that?! He didn’t know what to do. He was frozen in place. The song was over, but he wasn’t moving.  Then she was off the stage. JungMin came back on and sang some more. When he looked over Hyori was off at the food table. He hadn’t noticed she left. He was still standing there staring at where EunJi used to be. He walked over to the crowd, bowing at his superiors.

“Yah! HyunJoong, I didn’t think you were coming….” JungMin gave him a hug as he stepped off the stage.

“Mmmmmm decided to come and cheer you on.” His eyes scanned for EunJi, but she seemed to be gone.

“I saw you came with Hyori, where is she?” He just gestured behind him, craning his neck. “She left.” He looked up at his band mate.

“Who?”

“EunJi.”

“Why would I care?” JungMin shrugged.

“Are you two dating?”

“Why would you care? I have to go greet people; I’ll talk to you later. Thanks for coming.” He walked around the room, talking to some people, but mostly gazing off in the distance. People took it to be his 4D personality.

“Oppa. I want to go home.” Hyori appeared beside him pouting. He looked down at her. Not realizing what she had said. “I want to go home. This isn’t fun.” He just nodded and they left the party. That night he lay in bed next to Hyori who was already asleep, gazing up to the ceiling. He wanted to know whether EunJi was with JungMin or not. JungMin wasn’t right for her.

The next day on set he came early. He had a coffee in hand. Ever since meeting EunJi his addiction to coffee had worsened. He looked up and saw EunJi’s trailer lit up. She must already be here as well.  Hair and make-up was done and he stepped out to find the director and EunJi.

“Okay we are going to try the scene again. This time we aren’t doing it in a house; we are going to be doing it somewhere else. Where are you two going to be comfortable? If you are comfortable it’ll show. So let’s do it somewhere where we can get the shot” He jerked his head as he heard EunJi’s voice. He nodded. If that is how she wanted to do it, that is how they would do it.

He walked onto set. It was set up around the building elevator. Cameras were hooked up in the elevator.  EunJi wanted a small space, private where it could be shot in one take. The director came up with the elevator. He really could care less where they shot the scene.

“No JungMin, I hadn’t seen the papers. I knew it would turn out to be a scandal….” He looked and saw EunJi sigh. “No I’ll talk to my publicist too, we will figure it out.”  Before he could say anything to her the director waved them over.

“I know this is awkward for you two, but be professional. You don’t actually have to kiss, you both know how to cheat the angles, but either way you do it, it needs to be emotional and passionate. Mmmmm?” They both nodded. They moved to their places, “AND ACTION”

He swept across the hall and cornered her in the elevator. “MiYoung, please listen to me, you don’t know how hard this is for me.” He saw EunJi or MiYoung cringe and back away.

“ChangHo don’t do this, leave me be,” He felt EunJi shift away from him. He reached behind him and pulled the emergency stop button. The lights went off. It was still bright because it was a glass elevator looking out on the outside. He put both arms on either side of her body and leaned in.

“You know I can’t do that. We have too much history together.” The anger and frustration he felt from last night came pouring through him. The emotions clouded his mind. He leaned in and captured her lips. They hadn’t kissed since their first drama, so many years ago. Was the possible? Why had he not allowed this to happen. Her lips were perfect rosebud lips, soft and sweet. She gasped, he smoothly slipped his tongue into , he tasted oranges. His hands were mixed up in her hair as he tried to draw her closer. He felt desperate. He wanted to feel the answer, to see if the kiss could tell him whether she was dating JungMin or not.

He broke away,

“That is how much I love you.” He said, while releasing the emergency stop button. He felt her hand against his cheek.

“You should have remembered that a long time ago ChangHo. Let’s pretend this never happened.” He frowned. This was all adlib.

“Can you really forget about this? About us?” he grabbed her arm.

“If I have to, I will. I can’t. I can’t.”

“That’s right, you can’t. You can’t forget. Because our hearts beat as one.”

“I don’t think I have a heart anymore.” She looked up at him “It’s too broken. It doesn’t work anymore.”

“Then use mine. I will share with you, MiYoung, please!” He had almost said EunJi. The realization shocked him. She looked at him.

“When we leave this elevator, we are strangers who used to know each other. This didn’t happen. Don’t make me leave, because I will.” He watched as she pushed the emergency stop buttin back in. The elevator bell went off and he watched as she stepped off the elevator and walked down the hall as the doors closed on him.

“CUT!” He pressed the door opened button and stepped out. “That was perfect. The raw emotions, the adlib. I know you two could do it!” The director gave him a pound on the back.

“HyunJoong,” her voice made him turn. “You shouldn’t have done that.” He looked at her, the back of her hand was against her lips.

“Why? Will your boyfriend get mad?” She didn’t smirk or laugh or joke.

“Hyori will be unhappy about this. You should have just done the angle.”

“She will understand, this is my job. Will your boyfriend care?” He looked at her.

“Do you just like to tease me HyunJoong? You know I don’t have a boyfriend.” He watched as she turned and walked out. For some reason he felt a lot happier. 

He watched her throughout the day. She was quiet, but not angry. During lunch she didn’t come out and eat, but stayed in her trailer. He peered in and saw that she was reading and munching on some carrots.

It worried him. Her all alone, she should be eating with the rest of them. He sighed and walked back to his trailer.