Misery

Indisputable Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Misery

*****

‘You've taught me that it's never too late to do anything you wished to do, and it’s better to try than never.’

 

Yunho pushed the grocery cart slowly while eyes wondering on the list of things that he needed to buy at the moment. After fetch Jaejoong from school that day, he took the boy to grocery shopping, as their fridge had already run out of foods. And Jaejoong was eager with helping the eldest by putting the things that Yunho grabbed into the cart.

“Is this in the list too?”

Yunho turned at the boy, who had his hand pointing to carton of fresh strawberries that sorted on the top of one of the shelves.

“If you want it, just take it.”

The boy’s cute, rounded face lit up upon got the response. He smiled widely, showing a row of his beautiful white teeth.

Every time that kind of smile was shown on the boy’s face, lately, Yunho found it seemed contagious as his lips would also curled up in response.

Seeing Jaejoong could hardly reach the high shelf with his short legs, Yunho came behind him and lifted him up. “Here you go.” He assisted the boy to reach the fruit. Jaejoong grabbed a carton of strawberries and put it into the cart.

“What do you want for dinner tonight?” Yunho asked after put the boy down.

“Hmm…anything Yunnie cooked is fine.” Jaejoong told nonchalantly, as he wasn’t a picky type almost about everything.

“Then, let’s have some grilled meat.”

“Okay!” As always, Yunho would get such optimistic and cheerful response from the boy. Somehow he wondered if Jaejoong had just acted so to please him, being all positive with what he decided. But it was impossible, when the pure innocence look was so clear on that bright face. If he was happy, a bright smile would easily showed, if he was sad, his gloomy face would tell so. The boy was so easy to read.

After finished running the errand, Yunho asked Jaejoong to wait for him near the entrance while he went to take his bike, since it was hard to carry all the shopping bags to the parking area that was a bit far. As always, Jaejoong just nodded obediently at the order.

Once Yunho pulled his bike back at the entrance of market, he found the kid was nowhere at his previous spot.

“Oh, please… not again.” Dread distorting his expression.

Getting down from his bike, Yunho’s eyes started wandering around in worry, searching for the little boy that he had just left not more than ten minutes. There were no much people around since it was weekday, but mostly the middle-aged housewives who run an errand of their everyday grocery shopping. And Yunho found there was nobody that could exactly tell if they have spotted the child.

He was started to feel panic. Now, he admitted that it really scared him at the thought of losing the boy. Yunho dropped his worried face into his palms, trying to certain his mind before his attention was drew back by the voice of the child.

“Yunnie…”

There, Jaejoong appeared out of nowhere, looking up at him with his big-wondering eyes. Suddenly, Yunho felt rage boiled inside of him, ready to blow.

“Where have you gone? I’m so worry after found you were missing again. Can you stop doing that? Didn’t I tell you to wait for me here?!” Anger seeped through his tone; he just couldn’t control it at the moment.

Seeing the boy flinched at his sudden outburst, Yunho exhaled through his nose, fumed silently as trying to control his temper.

“S-sorry…” Jaejoong muttered barely audible, he dropped his look in petrified.

Yunho then frowned as he caught the boy seemed hiding something inside his hoody jacket.

“What is that you’re holding?” He asked directly with eyes darted to the thing that the boy was shielding.

Slowly, Jaejoong brought his hands that held a little kitten up, showing it to Yunho. The kitten was still tiny, its eyes not even open yet and looked so weak, and its dark-gray fur was soaking wet.

“I found it almost drown in that drain.” Jaejoong’s mouth pointed to the nearest street, and nervously looked up back to meet his brother’s angry face. “Yunnie, sorry…”

 Yunho’s anger suddenly subsided, and his shoulders fell as he heaved a sigh. “You always make me riled up so easily over something.” Yunho uttered.

“Ermm… Yunnie, can Joongie take this kitten home? It looks so sick and poor. Joongie just can’t ignore it.”

Yunho felt a big lump stuck behind his throat. The small request from the boy just made him felt affected and yet warmed his heart. The boy never failed to amuse him; he really has a big and warm heart.

“Yunnie, can I?” Jaejoong asked again in a pleading voice, snapped Yunho out of his reverie.

Crouching down near the boy, Yunho looked at the kitten in Jaejoong’s hands, and patting the boy on his head. “Let’s buy the cat milk. The kitten also needs to be feed.”

Upon heard a good response from his brother, a wide smile breaking across Jaejoong’s face. He nodded solemnly. “Urm, thank you Yunnie!”

***

It was late at night. The rain outside slowly turned into a downpour, making the younger man that was sleeping on the comfy futon shivered slightly. He snuggled closer to the small latter that used cuddling to him, knowing well the little kid would provide the warmth that he was seeking. He had already getting used to sleep with the boy now. But as he sensed the spot beside him was empty, his eyes snapped open.

“Jaejoong…” Yunho called before he spotted the small latter in the corner of room. The boy was sitting near a big-rounded basket which placing the little kitten that they had taken home this evening.

“Hey, what are you doing, still awake at this hour? You have school tomorrow.” Yunho got up from his sleeping place and walked towards Jaejoong while rubbing his face sleepily.

“Yunnie, the kitten is going to die…”

Yunho was taken aback at Jaejoong’s dismayed look, who looking up at him with his eyes pooling with tears.

“What happen?” Yunho sat down near the boy and took a look the scrawny kitten.

“The kitten doesn’t drink its milk and it keeps meowing.” Jaejoong told with trembling lips, trying to hold back his cry.

“Let me see…” Yunho took the kitten into his hand and it was shivering, cold as ice. 

“I think we need to keep it warm first.” Yunho put the kitten into its place, before he got up from his seating.

Jaejoong’s tear-filled eyes followed Yunho’s movement, who walked to the old cupboard in the room and rummaged through it, seemed looking for something.

After found what he was looking for, Yunho walked back to Jaejoong with an old stove heater and pack of cotton bud in hands. He set up the heater and placed it near them, before took the kitten back into his hands. Jaejoong watched every move the eldest made intently.

Dipping the tip of cotton bud into the bowl of warm milk, Yunho brought it to the kitty’s tiny mouth, and the kitten started it hungrily. He repeated the process.

“See, it drinks the milk now.” Yunho said and smiled at the worry-looked boy.

Jaejoong sniffed and wiped his tears before scooting near Yunho and peeked over the kitten.

“Is it going to be alright?” He asked worriedly.

“It will be okay, for now. I will buy a proper milk bottle for the cat tomorrow. Since this kitten is still small, it can’t drink like a normal cat yet.” Yunho told.

“Can Joongie feed it?”

“Sure.” Yunho handed the kitten to Jaejoong. He then smiled as he watching the boy’s action of cooing the kitten to drink and get well soon.

“You always cry over the smallest thing. To take care of something or someone, you need to be strong first.” Yunho said as he raised a hand and brushed off a few strands of messy hair that covering Jaejoong’s adorable eyes.

“Then, Joongie won’t cry anymore. Joongie will be strong like Yunnie, so that Joongie can take care of Jiji better.”

“Jiji?” Yunho frowned and looked at the kitten. The familiar barest smile extended across his face. “So you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter