Invisible string

Indisputable Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Invisible string

***

‘There were dozens of times I found him adorable in the past,

but now… he seems more adorable than he has ever been before.’

 

Jaejoong fell asleep in exhausted physically and mentally; after a very long day and with what had just happened. But once a while, the nightmare of him in his nearly-death experiences kept him twisting. Relentlessly, the dream of him in the tragic car accident invaded his peaceful sleep, before another vague scene where he almost got killed in a remote warehouse that was set up on fire took over.

He felt breathless like there was something choked him, making he shivered in a cold dread. But all those nightmares started fading and he began to calm, as there was a hand had shoving all the bad dreams away. Jaejoong could feel a comfort sheet shielding him from the coldness and a warm palm of someone caressing his back, lulling him back to sleep.

Soon, the calm and peaceful look re his miserable face, the stress line on his forehead disappeared as he fell even deeper into a relaxing sleep.

After a very long years, Jaejoong could sleep as he had not done in years, feeling of restless anguish finally give way to peace as there was a right person next to him, ensuring him like nothing could harm him as long as that hand never stop reaching out for him.

***

He straightened out his arms from the blanket and turned around slightly, like every morning once he woke up from a very long sleep.

'Did I oversleep?' He wondered in drowsiness. To thought there was no wake-up call from his manager or his usual buzzing alarm today. It took him a moment before he remembered that he had a day off after what had happened yesterday.

He blinked his eyes copiously before it widened once his mind flew back to the last night occasion.

Jaejoong sprung up from the couch, causing the blanket that covered him dropped to his feet. He realized where he was now, and noticed a new pillow and duvet that had been placing out for him to sleep comfortably by the owner of the house.

"Did he... letting me sleep over last night?" He muttered in disbelief. His eyes started searching for the man’s presence that had oddly treated him a bit nicer last night. He arranged his step to the kitchen when he heard the sound of water running from the sink, indicating the other presence there.

"You’re awake."

Jaejoong stopped from his step, amused at the man’s strong sense that could tell his intrusion, without turning over his back.

"Sit down and have a breakfast before you go home." Yunho spoke before he turned around with a plate of toast and scrambled egg that he had just prepared.

Jaejoong eyed the taller man’s every move as he placing the simple breakfast before him, and that was when he caught a deep, long cut on the man's knuckle. Before his mind could alert about his action, he grabbed Yunho's hand and brought it closer to his view

"Your hand... did you get it from breaking the window last night?” He asked while examining the severe cut meticulously.

“You should treat it before it gets infected." He looked up at Yunho in concern, still holding the man’s hand in his.

Yunho just stared at the smaller man before him in silent. That caring attitude of Jaejoong… It somehow pained him at the thought of the younger one was still care about a little thing concerning him, despite the loss of his memory.

That concern look on Jaejoong's face just made him feel even guiltier. Only if the smaller man could show him a bit of annoying sides, or eyes that full of resentment aiming at him, that would be much better. Since he knew he deserved the hatred than affection.

"It's not that bad, I will put bandage on it later." Yunho pulled his hand from the other’s touch.

"You should treat it last night. Now, it looks swollen already. Let me-"

"Can you just eat silently and leave once you're done. Don’t mind about me." Yunho cut off firmly.

Jaejoong pouted as the man stopped him from his intention of being generous.

Somehow, he could felt the man seemed putting a cold front, emotionally guarded as if he was afraid of someone prying into his live; as if he was protecting his heart from some catastrophic pain reopen or... keeping some dark secret from being discover.

That kind of thought just made Jaejoong feel more intrigued to approach him even closer. But it was hard when the man always had such unreadable expression - looking so cold and empty.

"Tch, I wonder who will be able to live with this person if he keeps that kind of attitude with him..." Jaejoong muttered lowly before he pulled the plate and started eating. It was better to shut his mouth and eat, rather than being kicked out of the house with an empty stomach.

For now, to be able to eat the man's cook and sleep over at his place were already a big achievement.  Jaejoong couldn't help but grinning at his own stupid thought; didn't even notice that the stoic man was watching him sceptically.

***

Gwangju

Jaejoong walked into the big rest house that was booked for him by his manager. His usual bodyguard followed behind with a luggage in hand. It was the second day for his Korea tour concert, and this time it was in Gwangju. He just finished his rehearsal early, and tomorrow he would go to do the final checking for the stage setup himself, as he also participated in the directing team.

Heading to the balcony, he opened the glass sliding door, allowing the breeze to blow inside. He looked out over the serene view before him, far across an endless stretch of mountain tops that cloaked in wispy cloud. It had been so long he didn’t get his chance to enjoy this kind of calmness. It seemed he was in a right place.

He stretched his arm wide open and took a deep breath. The idea to take a stroll along the bustling street tonight suddenly came into his mind, since he informed there was a firework festival being held at the main city. Also, there was a famous downtown market in the area. It was not like every day he got the chance to visit such place, and moreover it was his first time to stay in this country.

But the thought of the need to drag his bodyguard with him, since there was no way Junsu would allow him to be alone again in public area, just killed his excitement. Having a fully uniformed person tailing him around would surely draw unnecessary attention, and making it obvious that he was somebody. To be under the spotlight and being cramped was the last thing he wanted.

Jaejoong let out a sigh and looked down toward the parking lot near the entrance of the rest house. As if fate always be on their side, he caught the familiar figure of someone who lately always filled his mind stepping out of the car.

“Hey Seungyu, can I ask you something?” Jaejoong called the young bodyguard without turning around. His eyes still fixed on the person who now seemed in a deep conversation on his phone down there.

“Yes, what is it?”

“Are you close with Jung Yunho?”

“Oh… why did you ask?”

“Tch, just answer me. Is he your senior?” Jaejoong turned around to look at the younger man this time.

“Hmm… rather than my senior, he is actually my boss.” Seungyu answered, looking a bit confused by the sudden question that came out from the idol.

“Your boss? So, that security service company is his?”

“Not really, they are partnership. I meant Yunho-sunbae and Yoochun-ssi.”

“Huh, those two are close?” Jaejoong looked back at the person who still engrossed in his phone call.

‘To think I’ve embarrassed myself in front of him by offered him the job to be my personal bodyguard again, when he’s actually held such a high position in the company. What the heck that am I doing?!’ Jaejoong rebuked silently over his thoughtless action before.

‘And what is he doing here? Is he escorting someone?’ His eyes kept watching the latter from his balcony, before he realized that he was musing over the doings of the other too much. He was acting totally out of his character when the man was in his sight.  Jaejoong shook his head and turned around, trying to distract himself from staring at the person too long – afraid it would be so obvious.

“What are you doing?” He asked his bodyguard as he saw the other was about to arrange his stuffs in one of the wardrobe in the room.

“Oh, I’m going to stay here too.”

“What? Who allowed you to?”

“Err… Junsu-ssi.” Seungyu answered hesitantly.

“That guy… where is he?” Jaejoong asked, looking annoyed. He thought Junsu would already know that he disliked sharing a room with someone who he wasn’t used to.

“He has to go back to Seoul for something urgent. So, that’s why he asked me to stay here with you and never let you leave my sight until he comes back.”

“What’s with that sudden serious order? So I can’t even step out from the room now?”

“Oh, if you want to go out I will accompany you. Junsu-ssi ordered me to, if not I would be reported.”

“What exactly this guy is up to? Does he think I will be kidnap or escape in the middle of night?” Jaejoong grumbled, feeling annoyed at the thought of Junsu was still doubting him and treating him like a child.

“Did he tell you what makes him to leave urgently?”

“Hmm... he didn’t give any detail. He just said that he has to settle something personal.” Seungyu said and looked at the idol timidly.

“Well, that guy looks so fishy lately. And to think he has a gut to leave me here without a single message… that must be something really urgent then.” Jaejoong said in a deep thinking face.

Suddenly, something excited came into his mind at the thought of his manager was absence until tomorrow comes. His heart ruled him just like that as the crazy idea played in his head. He smiled, cunningly.

“Hey, can you help me to get my phone in the room? I wanna give Junsu a call.” He asked, stopping the personal protection officer from the current task at hand. Seugyu nodded and went to the main room undoubtedly.

As the younger man disappeared to get his phone, Jaejoong immediately made his move. He grabbed the key and sneaked out silently, locking the door from the outside.

He grinned once he stepped out and walked to the person who he had watched from the balcony previously. The man was still busy with his phone, seemingly texting someone now.

“What a surprise to see you here.” Jaejoong greeted. His sudden approach made the man to slightly turned and looked at him. Their eyes met.

Jaejoong smiled. But the other looked so calm and composed as always - not a slightest hint of surprise or amuse displayed on his face upon seen his presence.

Jaejoong felt almost dejected at the reaction. The man didn’t seem pleased to see him here.

“Are you here for work?” He asked, tried to discard the disappointment that came just for a second. The bad feeling didn’t always lingering too long for him – a natural good side that he had since long.

“No.” Yunho answered shortly, still stood stiffly. He stared at the latter before him, wasn’t really expected the superstar would catch him of being here. To think Jaejoong was always able to sense his presence, somehow, that made him almost believe the other’s attachment over him was really something.

“So… are you here for vacation?” Jaejoong attempted to stir up a conversation again.

“No, I’m here to visit someone.”

“Oh, then… see you around soon.” Jaejoong said, as he felt there was nothing more to say when the man seemed not happy to see him. To thought they were seemed getting a bit closer and in a good term lately, but the other really knew how to make everything turn back around like they had never bumped into each other.

“Tch, what did I expect by greeting him out of the blue.” Jaejoong mumbled lowly as he turned his back.

“Wait, where are you going?” Yunho called before the other could walk away.

“Oh, you know there is a firework festival here tonight.” Jaejoong said, inwardly, anticipating the man’s response.

“Are you going there?”

“Yup…” He nodded.

“Unprotected?”

‘Finally… he noticed!’ Jaejoong almost failed to cover his smile. He tried to remain in his innocence look.

“Well… something come up. So that young bodyguard of mine has to take care of something personally.” He made up a lie, hoping the man was his for the evening instead of the other.

“And Junsu?” Yunho kept asking.

‘What… are they that close to have this stoic guy called him by just his first name.’ Jaejoong felt envious over his manager suddenly.

“Junsu is not around at the moment…” He answered half-heartedly. He had almost persuaded himself that Yunho would at least keep him company. But it seemed he had stepped lower and looked pathetic just to get closer with the man again. Jaejoong felt irritated at himself suddenly. He huffed and about to turn away to hide his disappointment look again.

“Then, I’m going with you.” Yunho voiced suddenly, making the top star halted in his move.

“Huh, really?” Jaejoong looked up from his dejected state.

Yunho’s heart throbbed upon saw those big-rounded eyes twinkling with excitement. The same look that the little boy in his past always shown him whenever he was given a permission to do or eat something he liked.

“Yes, you can’t go out without someone who familiar with the place around you.” Yunho said again, swallowing the sudden bitterness he felt.

“Okay, let’s go.” Jaejoong tried to calm his heart that almost jumped out in excitement. A triumphant smile rose to his lips.

He succeeded in making the man accompany him for the night.

*

A man, who was sitting at his working desk the whole day didn’t budge from his seat, his eyes just concentrated on the research paper that he was currently working on. He let out a sigh when he found few important points were missing from being elaborated accurately. His hand extended to the closest drawer near him; to take a marker to highlight the messed-up part.

With eyes still focused on the paper, his hand searching the thing in the drawer until it accidentally grazing upon a sharp edge of book. His attention broke from his work now. He frowned as he took out the book out of his drawer, and what came into his sight just enough to made his mood suddenly disturbed.

It was a worn out, old diary of someone.

“Why do I still keep this thing with me?” He mumbled to himself, as he thought he had already thrown it away a long time ago.

The diary had content enough stuff that would bring uneasiness nagging at his heart. The contents seemingly presage of the unhappiness to his future. But he didn’t know why he still kept it with him. His hand opened the diary and started flipping the pages one by one…

Most of the word that inked on the pages of the diary was ‘Yunnie’….

The man sighed as he closed the diary and throw it back into his drawer – keeping it away from its owner was better.

He still remembered, the first time he heard that name slipped from the other lips. It was that day…

 

“JaeJae, where are you?!” The boy who was around twelve year old called, as he started walking across the big lawn to abandoned storehouse; the only self-isolation place of the little boy that he was looking for.

Once he reached the room, he opened the wooden door and what greeted him just a dusty view of the cold, old room. A ray admitted through the small gap from the cracked door and a small, dusty window allowed his eyes to scan the room. He tried searching the cute face of the little boy, who still nowhere in his sight.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter