CHAPTER 1

Changsub’s Kiss

 

It’s time.

Changsub calmed his beating heart and glided fast through the forest and out the speeding river, his black wings were spread out, flapping with ease. He just needs to cross the water that protected him and he would be able to fully track down the last of the legendary Takers. He waited hundreds of lifetimes until all six were born in one and he could finally finish his long awaited revenge. To take them out and be the most powerful Taker.

He knew about the consequences but he’d been ready ever since his own family was killed by their greatest enemies, the vampires. It was said that being the last of his element would over-power the vampires and he needed it badly. He needed revenge.

And vengeance against his own kind too, who didn’t extend help when his family was slain one by one in front of his eyes. He was spared for being a child and he hated it more – living in pain, crying every night and having endless nightmares about his parents’ warmth and seeing them dead the next.

Changsub won’t stop now. He waited too long and he would need to act fast before his existence was realized.

*

Takers, soul-eaters, winged-man – he’s all that. They obtain the human form but as good as a monster in every layman’s term. They the soul out of their victims leaving them as good as dead, hearts beating but lifeless.

A Taker will stop aging once they became a full-turned Taker, some starts as young as ten and some never get to change and die like a normal human. They don’t really have a choice on what they become and most of them wanted the latter.

But not him. Changsub forced himself to be changed and he started to train day and night, and closely tracked down the generations of the other families so he can gather all their souls and powers. He knew the secret when all seven sons would gather in one lifetime and that would be when they are most powerful. He is the last of their family and the last time he checked the other families descendants were also males. And fortunately for him, most of them were still humans, not fully aware of what they are and what they can be.

Changsub wanted that too, to be simply human. He and his bestfriend wanted that. They dreamed about it, picturing the families they will have on their own and maybe pass down their powers for goodness. They talked about the wings, curious about the flight feeling but nothing beats the happiness of the normality.

His heart burned for a second as a wash of pain came over him, remembering his bestfriend. He shook his head, cleared it and crossed the river. He can do it in a swift motion and glide effortlessly on it, but he wanted to make sure he’s safe. He can never be too sure of the world.

He reached the other end, safe but vulnerable to any attacks. He can hear the distant sounds of cars and the busy city life. And amidst the noise he can also hear their heart beats, his targets. He smirked, excitement and anger mixed in one now. He closed his eyes and hid his wings, the marks on his back closing on its own and created small lumps of scars. Changsub’s already familiar with the pain, he just have to numb his thoughts to feel less of it.

They were right on time, his family’s faithful servants ready to serve him again. Immortals from other elementals that had been loyal to his parents. He bowed at them slightly and took the leather jacket offered to him.

“Welcome back, master.” Jihoon, his right hand, greeted him looking all serious. “We have everything ready for your comeback.”

“Well done.” Changsub only said and got in the car. He has been hiding too long, not wanting to expose his self, being safe from the Takers and Vampires. Jihoon occasionally visits him to tend to his needs and report everything he needed to know. “Have you found him?”

“We have a lead. We will be checking on it tomorrow.” Jihoon answered from the passengers’ seat.

Changsub nodded and looked outside the window as the speeding car rolls on the highway. The sun was almost setting and he stared at it, drawing in the last warmth it gives. He carefully opened his mind and heard the beating hearts again, he quickly closed it for he just wanted to know where they are but no to expose himself.

“They are all so close.” Changsub said nonchalantly. “I heard them.”

“Yes, they are master.” Jihoon answered, “But please be careful, we can never be too sure if one had chose to be changed.”

Changsub hummed as an answer. “Jihoon.”

“Yes, sir?” Jihoon turned and looked at him from his seat.

“I will look for him.” Changsub met his servant’s eyes, “I want to be the one he will see first, I will be the only one to confront him.”

“He might be dangerous.” His servant looked down but only his eyes, respecting his master.

“He will not harm me.” Changsub smiled, “And don’t doubt my powers.” He said as every water hydrant in the street burst out water.

*

Hyunsik was pacing back and forth inside his study room, his back irritably itching and he does not like it a bit.

“Hyung! Hyung!” His dongsaeng came in, shouting and panting.

“What?” He snapped, his head aching now.

“I just- um,” His brother stammered, “Are you okay?”

He blew some air which seemed to calm him down and leaned on a wall to ease a bit of the itch, “Yeah, yeah, I’m just having a headache.” He tried to smile. “What’s up?”

“I just wanted to see if you want to go eat out dinner with us.” His brother was being careful, he knew better not to mess with an annoyed Hyunsik. “My friend’s celebrating his birthday, so yeah, free dinner?” He grinned.

Hyunsik can never be angry with his cute younger brother. “I’ll pass for now. I need a rest.” He took out his wallet and handed him some cash, “Just in case.”

“Thanks Hyung!” He was quickly left alone but his brother came back a few seconds after, “Give me a call if you need me back home early, okay?”

Hyunsik nodded and smiled. He just signaled him to go and was returned with a salute. He knows he shouldn’t be pampering his brother too much but he can’t help it.

The pain in his head shoot down now on his back, causing him to grab for his chair and unconsciously split it in to two. Knowing that he’s alone now, he slowly moved to the center of his room and took off his jacket and shirt. He kneeled down panting, clearing his mind before he freed his own wings.

“It can’t be.” He whispered in disbelief as his wings flapped uncontrollably.

*

“I’m going out tonight.” Changsub calls in Jihoon. “I need to feed and I can sense a helpless one having fun tonight.”

“I’ll prepare your .” Jihoon started to retreat backwards but Changsub held his hand out and the door closed loudly.

“No need.” Changsub barks, “You will be the only one coming with me. But I have to clear things first.”

“What, master?” Jihoon walked back towards him, quietly observing the play of a flickering candle on his master’s hands.

“No one else should know why I’m back.” Changsub started. “Tomorrow, I want all human servants out this mansion and all elementals memories washed about my reason. No one can interfere and ruin this for me now.”

Jihoon just nodded.

“Now, let’s go hunt.”

***