As Time Goes On

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Already Taken

That day i didn't have any homework to do so i went downstairs to help grandma with some chores and make dinner. That day grandma went to buy some groceries and the fridge was stocked, we decided to make some traditional Italian pasta. It was a heartwarming night and i retreated to bed with a full belly. I showered and went back to my room. I was drying my hair when i saw a guitar in the corner of the room. I didnt notice it the night before. I picked it up and stummed it. It was new! I could tell by the strngth of the strings. I sat down on my bed and played a few chords. Then i started singing. It was "Speak Now" by Taylor Swift.

I am not the kind of girlWho should be rudely barging inOn a white veil occasionBut you are not the kind of boyWho should be marrying the wrong girl
I sneak in and see your friendsAnd her snotty little familyAll dressed in pastelAnd she is yelling at a bridesmaidSomewhere back inside a roomWearing a gown shaped like a pastry
This isSurely not what you thought it would beAnd I lose myself in a daydreamWhere I stand and say
Don't say yes, run away nowI'll meet you when you're outOf the church at the back doorDon't wait or say a single vowYou need to hear me outAnd they said "speak now"
Fond gestures are exchangedAnd the organ starts to playA song that sounds like a deathmarch
And I am hiding in the curtainsIt seems that I was uninvitedBy your lovely bride-to-be
She floats down the aisleLike a pageant queen.But I know you wish it was meYou wish it was me (Don't cha?)
Don't say yes, run away nowI'll meet you when you're outOf the church at the back door
Don't wait or say a single vowYou need to hear me outAnd they said "speak now"
Don't say yes, run away nowI'll meet you when you're outOf the church at the back door
Don't wait or say a single vowYour time is running outAnd they said, "speak now"
Oh Oh Oh! ( said speak now.... )
I hear the preacher say"Speak now or forever hold your peace"There's the silence, there's my last chanceI stand up with shaking handsAll eyes on me
Horrified looks fromEveryone in the roomBut I'm only looking at you.
I am not the kind of girlWho should be rudely barging inOn a white veil occasionBut you are not the kind of boyWho should be marrying the wrong girl!
( Ha! )
So don't say yes, run away nowI'll meet you when you're outOf the church at the back door
Don't wait or say a single vowYou need to hear me outAnd they said, "speak now!"
And you sayLet's run away nowI'll meet you when I'm outOf my tux at the back door
Baby, I didn't say my vowsSo glad you were around when they said

Speak Now

i finished they song and rested my hand on the top of the guitar. I smiled at myself and began to compose a song. I played a few strums and played out a melody.

After about 1 hour i had a distinct melody. I suddenly felt a rush of cold wind blow my hair. Grandma had opened the window! I was so immersed with the guitar i didn't notice the window open. I looked through the window and saw Johnny also in his room. He also seemed to be composing. He held his guitar up and was strumming with a pencil between his teeth and a piece of paper infront of him. I smiled and continued composing my own song. I composed later and later into the night and didn't keep track of time. Soon it was 10 pm, and i had school the next day so i went to bed. 

Again i was woken by my alarm clock. I repeated the same process for school and was soon on my way. I left home at 8:30. Just when i stepped out the front door, the door of Johnny's house also opened. I saw him walk across his front lawn and onto the street. Again i walked behind him silently, not wanting to interrupt him or annoy him. It was quite silent the whole way to school. I don't think he noticed me the whole way. 

School was the same old same old. Not really changing much. I just hung out with Anita and Sharon all day. I played jokes with them, told them my secrets and worries etc. But in the back of my brain i kept on thinking about their necklaces. I kept my necklace and braclet from my friends back home on me every day, and never letting them go. I wondered what i would be like to lose someone... i shuddered. 

A few days later i got a call from Lee SooMan sunbaenim at home and told me the address to go to for my training sessions. He made them 2 hours before school on monday and friday, 4 hours after school on tuesday through to thursday and 2, 4 hour sessions on the weekends. Grandma and grandpa were worried with the amount of work i was being put through, but i reassured them that it was nothing compared to what i had before. 

So i continued my life with grandma and grandpa in australia. Everyday going to school and training. After a year Anita and Sharon were really suspicious of why i was dissappearing before and after school and also on the weekends. The problem was, not becuase i dont trust them to not tell anyone, but because they were both kpop fans. Sharon was a major TVXQ and Super Junior fan whereas Anita was a SHINee and Jay Park fan. What would their reaction be if i told them i was really good friends with them!?!? But i decied that our friendship was strong and wouldn't override kpop, so in the end i told them durng lunch one day.

"Guys, the reason i have been so busy is because i have been training" i confessed

"Training? what training?" asked Anita as she bit into her sandwhich

"Well, you guys know how im from korea,"

"Yea..." said Sharon

"Well i'm actually a trainee for S.M Entertinment"

"Hahahaha very funny Izzy," laughed Anita. Sharon started laughing aswell

"I'm serious! I seriously am a trainee! and i have been a trainee since i was 3!"

"Your serious aren't you?" said Sharon. She looked a little stunned.

"Yes i am serious. My brother is Cho KyuHyun of Super Junior. I am friends with all of the S.M artists, managers and workers. This braclet and necklace was a goodbye gift from them."

Both Sharon and Anita leaned in to get a closer look at the jewelry. Both of them in shocked breathes when they finally saw it clearly. 

"Wow! You seriously are a one of a kind darling Izzy!' exclaimed Anita.

"This is amazing!" said Sharon

I laughed at their reactions. 

"So, you've been training since you were 3? Shouldn't you have debuted already?"

"3!!! Dude.. i couldn't even talk when i was 3! let alone dance and sing..."

The questions just kept on rolling out and out... Hmmm... time to tell my story right from the very beggining. 

It took the WHOLE lunchtime to explain to them my story, and by the end they were both awestruck. 

It was time for period 5... hmm... Damn, it was music. Me and Johnny havent even talked to each other since that day. 

I walked between Sharon and Anita as they discussed my "Kpop star life" and kept on asking questions. I just nodded and shook my head at the correct times. But my mind was actaully fixed on the task ahead. Finishing the assignment. 

The teacher walked into class and told the class to get into their pairs and continue work on their assignments. They song would be due in the next week. I sat down with Johnny, and the awkward silence began. 

"So... I have worked on this piece of music, would you like to hear it?" i asked

"Umm.. sure, i guess" 

I stood up to go get a guitar, I practised this piece every night since i found the guitar in my room. The music was already done, i just had to edit some choppy bits and add in lyrics for the second half of the song. I sat down and started playing. I played and sang the first half of the song, but nearing the second half i stopped. I looked up and saw Johnny staring at me. His face looked quite surprised. I blushed and looked down. 

".... Its not done yet, i still have to finish the second half of the song." 

"Its... amazing. You wrote this?"

"umm... yeah"

"Do you want me to finish the second half? Or we can finish it together?"

"Umm.. i would like to finish it together."

"Okay, so... hmm... what about you come over to my place today after school? and we can finish it together"

I sighed with relief, lucky it was monday, "Yeah sure today is fine"

"Great" he smiled, "Do you mind showing me that song again?"

"No problem" and i started playing again. 

We got along for the whole period and added a bit more onto the song. He seemed friendly enough this lesson, but i was still wary.

That day after school i still walked home with Sharon and Anita ( they were still hyped about the Kpop thing), with the boys walking in front of us, but once everyone left, i caught up to Johnny and we walked to his house together. I stopped by my house to tell grandma and gramdpa where i was going, drop off my bag and grab my guitar and music sheets. 

When i popped outside again, Johnny was there waiting for me. I ran to him and we walked next door to his house. When he opened the door a smell of pizza wafted out. We walked inside and i bowed politely to his parents in the living room. His mum and dad smiled at me and i followed Johnny upstairs to his room. When i walked into his room it felt really weird, seeing everything from this side of the room. We sat down on his carpet and started composing the rest of the song. It was already night time by the time we finished and i could hear his parents getting ready for dinner. The song was called, "Art of Love" and it was a duet we would perform to the class.

I went home that day really happy and excited. I jumped onto my bed still giddy from songwriting. Suddenly my mobile rang, i jumped up to answer it. It was Lee SooMan ajusshi.

"Hello?"

"HyeRim-ah its me"

"Ajusshi! Hello"

"I have good news!"

"Really? What is it?"

"You can come home now!!!"

"HUH! I thought it was a year and a half! I've still got 6 months!"

"Yea, but Loen entertainment is debuting a new artist and they can't support your fee to stay in Australia. So we have to pull you back 5 months."

"That means i'm coming home in a month?!?"

"Actually, in a week to be more accurate"

"A WEEK!"

"Yes, because we want you back to take part in the SMTOWN Concert in Seoul"

"But, i havent debuted yet!"

"You don't have to, your not going to be performing, just taking part in it. Your still our companies little secret"

I sighed there was no use in arguing with ajusshi as you would never win. 

"We also want you back so that you can train with the new batch of trainees. I heard the judges from the audition have a secret weapon to let into the company."

"oh, okay... What date do i go back?"

"Its next Monday's flight back home, in the afternoon"

Thankfully i would be performing that day at school.

"Its okay, i've already asked people to contact Lisa and Peter. They will know by tommorrow. 

I sighed, "Okay, ajusshi. I have to go now, Goodbye"

"GoodBye darling, See you soon!"

I hung up and slumped back onto the bed. I don't know why, i couldn't help myself, but i burst into tears right away. Even when grandma cme up to ask me to come down for dinner i stayed quiet and pretended i was asleep. I just couldn't face anyone. I was becoming so attatched to here. It would be heartbreaking to leave... 

 

The next day i knew i had to tell Sharon and Anita. I told them at the end of school, and as i predicted they both burst into tears. I didn't want everyone knowing so i told them to keep it a secret. They both nodded and tried to stay happy for my sake. 

The rest of the week went agonizingly fast. It just wouldn't slow down!!! Time was catching up to me, no matter how fast i ran i couldn't run away. 

It was finally monday. That morning i had woken up extra early to pack my bags, because right after school grandpa and grandma would be taking me to the airport. At school it was also the day to perform our piece of music. Me and Johnny sat together, silently practising our song. Johnny still didn't know today was my last day, and wanted to keep it that way. Over the week we grew closer and closer together, i would go over to his house to practise and he would come over to mine. At night we would hold up messages written on sketch pads and show it to each other through our windows. It was sweet. 

Sharon and Anita tried persuading me to tell him i was leaving, but i insisted not to. 

It was fianlly our turn to perform. We added a piano part to the song which i would be playing, Johnny would be playing the guitar and we would both sing. 

Blue- Johnny.        Pink-Isabella.      Black-Both

Im saying sorry in advance 
Coz this won't always go to plan
Though we don't mean to take our love for granted 
It's in our nature to forget what matters


And when the goin is getting tough 
And were all about giving up
Things that we never thought we'd say gunna say em 
Games that we never thought we'd play gunna play em


It aint perfect but its worth it and its always getting better 
Its gunna take some time to get it right

[Chorus]
Coz I'm still learning the art of love 
Im still tryin to not mess up
So whenever I stumble let me know
You need to spell it out, you need to spell it out,
you need to spell it out you need to spell it out for me 
Coz I'm still tryin to learn the art of love

If I forget to get the door 
remind u that you're beautiful
I know my detail requires more attention 
If I ever hurt you its not my intention


Coz were gunna make our mistakes
Find out how much a heart can take 
But I know that you got my back 
And baby I got yours.


[Chorus]
Coz I'm still learning the art of love 
Im still tryin to not mess up
So whenever I stumble let me know
You need to spell it out, you need to spell it out,
you need to spell it out you need to spell it out for me 
Coz I'm still tryin to learn the art of love
 

Sometimes I'm gunna miss
Im learnin how to give
Im not giving up
Im learnin how to love
Learnin how to love

[Chorus to fade]

Coz I'm still learning the art of love 

Im still tryin to not mess up

So whenever I stumble let me know
You need to spell it out, you need to spell it out,
you need to spell it out you need to spell it out for me 
Coz I'm still tryin to learn the art of love
 
We ended the song with as much feeling as if the song was about us two. We each played the last note dropped our hands from our instruments. The whole class was silent... We're we that bad that the class was in shock? I looked up and saw all the students staring stars truck at us, even the teacher! I looked over at Anita and Sharon and saw them wink at me. I smiled at them and turned back to the teacher. It took a few moments for the teacher to compose himself before he finally said something.
 
"So...you 2 wrote this song...umm.... By yourself?"
 
"Yes" we both replied
 
"Hmm.. its very good... Even proffesional"
 
Me and Johnny boht looked at each other and smiled. The teacher nodded in approvement and let us sit down. I went to go sit with Sharon and Anita. They were both stunned. 
 
"No wonder your a trainee! S.M would be crazy not to accept you!!!" sqealed Anita
 
"Looks like training since you were 3 payed off!" smiled Sharon
 
I laughed at their reactions and looked over towards Johnny. His friends seemed to also be congragulating him, but he kept a straight face and ignored them. I caught his eye and smiled at him. But he didn't return the gesture. How could he go so cold all of a sudden? We just had a very successful performance! and today is the last day i will every see him... ever...
 
I tried not to let my emotions get the most of me and bit my tears back. 
 
I listened quietly too the rest of the songs. Anita and Tommy's was also a very successful song as both of them were very talented in piano. Sharon's performance was also quite good. Everything was going pretty good.. until the end of school came. I cleared out my locker with the help of Anita and Sharon. I could see the tears in their eyes as we packed up. We walked to my grandpas car and we had a tearful departure. We couldn't stop crying and hugging each other. In the end i was going to be late for my flight so i left. I couldn't stop crying the whole way to the airport. Things just didn't work out... It felt like a part of my heart had been torn out and left with Sharon, Anita and....... Johnny. 
 
 
*Johnny's POV"
 
I saw those big eyes look towards me and smile, but i couldn't smile back for some reason. All i could think of was the song i wrote under my pillow. It was for her... 
 
That first night when i saw her playing her guitar and singing i opened up my window slightly to let her voice float into my room and give me inspiration. This song was about her... she was the first person i told about Sharon, Anita and my brother.... I don't know why i told her, her eyes just seemed to pierce through me and into my soul. The story just came out.
 
After school that day i ran home ditching all my friends to go get the song for Isabella, I didn't want to delay it any longer. I ran inside, my parents weren't home yet. I took the stairs 2 at a time and grabbed the piece of paper from under my bed and ran back outside to school. I was running so hard i couldn't even catch my breath in time. I got to the school gate, almost getting run over by a car. At the school gate i saw Sharon and Anita crying. I don't know why, but i have a soft spot for those 2 girls, ever since that day i felt like it was my duty to protect them. I ran to them and pulled both of them into a big hug, my head resting on theirs.
 
"What happened guys? Why are you crying? Wheres Isabella?"
 
"Shes.... gone...." cried Anita
 
That threw me for a second... gone?!
 
"Shes gone back to Korea!" sniffed Sharon "and shes not coming back"
 
Not coming back?! My hand scrunched up into a fist, crushing the song in my hand... How come she didn't tell me?!?! How could she just leave like that? Unconditionally tears started rolling down my cheeks aswell. I buried my face into the girls hair and cried silently with them. 
 
That day i walked Sharon and Anita home, both making sure they were safe before i left. I srunched up the pieced of paper and stuffed it in my back pocket not wanting to see it again. I walked past her house on the way home and saw no lights or sign of life come from inside, looks like grandpa and grandma werent home yet. I slumped back home and through the door ready to go up to my room and sulk when my mother called me from inside the kitchen. 
 
"Johnny! Come over here! We got good news!"
 
I didn't know what could cheer me up at this time, but i still went over. I walked in the kitchen and saw my dad and mum sitting on the dining table with a piece of paper between them. Mother smiled at me and told me to sit down. She moved the paper infront of me so i could read it. I read it through once half heartedly, but then again, and again, and even a 4th time to make sure it was real. I looked up at my parents in shock, could this be real!? Both my parents smiled at my reaction and congragulated me once again. 
 
I carried the piece of paper upstairs and into my room and sat down on my bed. I couldn't stop reading it over and over again hoping it was not a dream. I smiled my first true smile since the accident, but then i looked up and out the window to the blackness of Isabella's room, or ex-room. And the smile vanished as  fast as it came.