The Dinner Invitation

If Only (The Sequel to In The Club)


"Is nuna back?" Cheondung asked his sister's secretary.


He just arrived at the restaurant and was on his way to his office when he saw Nayoung stepping out of Dara's office.


"Not yet, Cheondung-sshi." She replied closing the door. "I just went inside to answer the phone. Dong Youngbae-sshi called, he was looking for her. He also asked for you."


Cheondung nod his head then checked his watch.  "You can go home now, Nayoung-sshi."


"Ne," She bowed and walked away.


************

Youngbae was staring out of his office window while drinking a cup of tea.
He gave out a heavy sigh.
It's been months already since he and Dara broke up.
In his heart, it's still her.

He is fully aware of Seunghyun's feelings for Dara and he has grown to accept that.
It took a while for him and Seunghyun to be in good terms.
The two just had that unexpected time where both got drunk and started opening up regarding how they feel about Dara.
For them, they don't really have to settle anything.
They know where they stand and all they need is respect from one another.

His friendship with Dara hasn't change.
They still hang out and do stuff like they used to when they were just best friends.
Never did they talk about the club incident or Angela again.
Seunghyun's participation on that unforgettable night was never mentioned ever.
It's like a mutual understanding that they just let that past go.
Everything seems fine with Youngbae, but one thing he just couldn't ignore is Seunghyun's existence.

Since Seunghyun decided to stay in Seoul, Dara's attention has been divided.
There are times when Youngbae gets caught off guard with their situation.
He couldn't admit it, but he knows Seunghyun is a big factor of his insecurities.
With his presence, Youngbae can't help but feel threatened.
He can't shake the thought of him losing his chance in getting back with Dara when Seunghyun's around.

"Chances are..." He whispered, looking at sky through his window.
He let out another heavy sigh and sipped his tea.

************

"Choi Seunghyun!" Dara screamed. "You come back here this instant!"

Seunghyun was walking ahead of her.
From behind, Dara could see his shoulders trembling and shaking and she knows exactly why.

"CHOI SEUNG-HYUN!"

Seunghyun slowly turned around and Dara saw his face all distorted because he was still laughing so hard.
He quickly wiped the tears that were coming out of his eyes when he saw her eyes turned into slits.
He tried calming himself, but instead he snorted and gave out a hysterical laugh.
Dara crossed her arms over her chest while watching him.
Seeing him like that, her mind was debating whether she should let go of her frustration and laugh with him or give him a dose of his own medicine.

They just finished riding the water splashing ride.
Dara refused to ride it at first. She knew that it's going to be a messy ride.
But Seunghyun insisted and convinced her that they should try it once. Unwillingly, she agreed.
He also suggested that she should sit up front so she'll get a better view, assuring her that she won't get wet.
Since it's Dara's first time riding it, little did she know that Seunghyun was tricking her?

Now standing in front of Seunghyun was Dara, soaking wet.
When Seunghyun came back to his senses, he felt guilty and went closer to Dara.
He removed his jacket and put it around her shoulders.


"I'm sorry." He said, looking at her apologetically.


Dara glared at him and pushed him to the side.
Before she could walk away, Seunghyun was already holding her arm.


"I'm really sorry." He repeated.


Dara turned to look at him.

To her surprise, he went down on his knees holding his hands up.


"You can punish me." He said, bowing his head.


"Seunghyun-ah!" She gasped, quickly looking around. "What are you doing??!!"


Luckily, there are not too many people in the area.


"Get up right now." She said pulling him up. "People might see you, it's embarrassing."


Seunghyun refused to stand up.

 "Not until you say you forgive me." He said, pouting.


"Alright, alright already." Dara said, rolling her eyes. "I forgive you."


"And admit that you're enjoying our date." He added, with a hint of tease in his voice.


"And I admit that I'm enjoying our da- - - WHAT??!!" Dara gasped when she realized what she's about to say.


She looked down at Seunghyun and he was giving her a teasing smile.


"What date??!!" She blinked.


"Oh c'mon Dara-ah, admit it." He said with a wink. "You're enjoying our date, right?”


Dara felt her cheeks getting hot and she couldn't even look straight at Seunghyun's eyes.

'What date is he talking about?!' She thought. 'I wasn't even thinking that this IS a date. It's all so sudden. I mean, I'm not ready to date yet! Waaaahhhh!!'

Deep inside, she enjoyed his company like always. It's been a while since she had a kiddy-like fun and she was happy that Seunghyun brought her there.
But to think that they're on a date is bit too much for her.

Seunghyun could sense that she was getting all panicky so he decided to let it slide.
He gave out a laugh then he stood up and faced her.


Dara gave him a puzzled look then slowly it turned into a glare when she heard him chuckle.

"I thought I'm forgiven already?" He asked, leaning closer to her face.

Dara didn't answer and looked away. She can't believe that Seunghyun tricked her again.


Seunghyun has always been like that. He is mischievous, but he never fails to make Dara laugh.

"You're not answering," She heard Seunghyun said. "So that only means that I'm not forgiven yet? Okay, then I'll just---." He shrugged his shoulders while preparing to go down on his knees again.


Dara's eyes widened.

"No!" She blurted while holding on to his arm, stopping him from kneeling down.

"Could you stop doing that?" She said.
 

He was about to answer her but he noticed her body shaking.


Dara started giggling.


No matter how pissed she was because of Seunghyun's mischievous acts, she couldn't help but be amused by him.


"You're really crazy, Seunghyun-ah." She said to him.


Seunghyun's eyes widened.


"I'm crazy?" He said, pointing to himself. "As far as I know you're the one who is laughing now without any reason."


"Mwoh?"


Seunghyun grinned and gave her a peace sign. "Just kidding, Sandy."

'Sandy.' She repeated in her head.

It was surprising for her to hear Seunghyun called her that name again.
Dara's english name is Sandara Park. Seunghyun was the one who made the nickname Sandy since Sandara is too long.
He called her Sandy when they were dating back then.
Dara recalls how the girls about the nickname.
They say that it was Seunghyun's term of endearment to her, and they find it cute and unique.

She became quiet and Seunghyun noticed that she was blushing.
He gave her a warm smile, but again she looked away, clearing .


"I think it's getting late." She said, looking up the sky.


Seunghyun followed her gaze. "I think you're right. That means dinner time."


Dara looked at him, confused. "Dinner time?"


Seunghyun still gazing at the sky with a smile. He wrapped his arm around her shoulder.


"Yup, dinner." He repeated then he glanced at her. "What do you say I treat you for dinner to express how sorry I am for forcing you into that ride?"


Dara gave him an evil look  then she poked his ribs.
 

He winced a little. "Hey! I said I was sorry." He said, rubbing his hand against his ribs.


"You have to feed me big time." Dara said, grinning.
 

He chuckled and put his arm back around her shoulder. "Not a problem."
 

Dara was about to make a step towards the exit when she felt Seunghyun guiding her to a different direction.
 

"Yah! Wae?" Dara asked him when she was turned the other way.
"Before we go, " He said, then he pointed to the gift shop where they went earlier.

 

"You might get sick if you keep wearing that wet shirt. I think we need to buy you a new one. "
 

Dara rolled her eyes.”Oh no..... Nooooooo.... Not again! Couple shirts??!!!"

As soon as Dara sat inside the car, she opened her purse to check her cellphone.
She wasn't surprised to see that she received numerous missed calls.
She should be working today, but instead she spent her whole afternoon having fun with Seunghyun at the amusement park.
It kind of made her feel guilty, especially to her brother.
She knows that Cheondung will be attending to whatever work she left unfinished.

She saw missed calls from Chaerin, Cheondung, and Youngbae.
She decided to call Youngbae first.

************


Youngbae was signing some papers when he heard his cellphone ringing.
He was glad to see Dara's name showing from his cellphone screen.

"Dara-ah."

 

"Ye, Youngbae." He heard her voice in the other line.
 

"Where are you?" He asked. " I was trying to reach you and you're not answering."
 

"I'm sorry." Dara apologized. "I was out with Seunghy--".

Dara was surprised that Seunghyun snatched the cellphone from her.

 

"Youngbae-ah!" He said.
 

"Yah, Seunghyun! I was talking to Dara. Whe--"
 

"We're on our way to grab some dinner,” Seunghyun said while turning the steering wheel. "Why don't you join us?"
 

Seunghyun heard him chuckled on the other line.
 

"Sorry man, I can't tonight." He replied. "But thanks for the invitation."
 

"Why not?" Seunghyun asked while checking his watch. "Work's over."
 

There was a brief silence on the other line.
 

"I have something important to attend to." Youngbae lied.
 

"Is that so?" Seunghyun asked.

"Yes," Youngbae confirmed.

 

"Okay, you owe me dinner then." Seunghyun joked.
 

"Fine." Youngbae replied with a laugh.
 

"Noted." Seunghyun said. "Here's Dara."
 

He gave the cellphone back to Dara.


***********


 

"Yes, I won't forget to eat my dinner." Youngbae said, sighing.
 

"Oh yeah, I won't drink coffee anymore."
 

"Yes, I'll go home early."
 

"Yes, I'll call you when I get home."
 

"Yes, I'll go to sleep early."
 

"Yes, omma!" He said. "Oh, I mean Dara-ah."

"Yah!" Dara yelled on the other line.

 

He suddenly held his cellphone phone away from his ear.
 

"You're not taking me seriously!"
 

"I am taking all your reminders seriously. But you're really starting to sound like omma." Youngbae replied.
 

"Once I see you Youngbae, you're gonna get it." She warned him.
 

"Arasseo, arasseo, mianhe." Youngbae chuckled. "Enjoy your dinner and call me when you get home."
 

"Okay, Youngbae." She replied. "Don't work too hard."
 

"Arasseo." He said smiling.

 

As soon as the conversation ended. Youngbae's smile disappeared.
He leaned back in his seat and closed his eyes.
He was just smiling earlier because he was able to talk to Dara, but the thought that she's out with Seunghyun made him uncomfortable.

 

'Ring....Ring...'
 

"Yoboseyo?" He answered his cellphone without checking who it was.
 

"Youngbae oppa!"


Hearing the voice on the other line made him sit up from his chair.


"Yoboseyo?" The female voice called.


"Ye, Yuri-ah?"


"Oppa!" Yuri exclaimed. "I'm so glad I was able to reach you."


"What's up?" He asked flatly.


"You owe me dinner, remember?" She reminded him with a giggle.


Youngbae smacked his hand on his forehead.


"Ohhhhh... " Is all he replied.


"What do you mean ohhhhh, oppa?" She said, sounding disappointed. "Don't tell me you'll take a rain check again, oppa. I'm not buying that anymore."


He was trying to think of a way to make an excuse.

'Dong Youngbae! Think! Quick!' He told himself.

"Oppa!"


"I'm sorry, Yuri-ah." Youngbae apologized. "I'm in the office right now and---."


"That's great!" Yuri replied happily. "I'm on my way there."


"Yuri, I have----" Youngbae's voice trailed off when his office door suddenly swung open.


"Oppa, get ready!" Yuri greeted him with a wide smile.