New year

Damn that Happy Virus

 

[wow, the title's really inspiring. Wow.]

 

There was rapid knocking on your front door. You stopped writing on your computer and looked up in confusion. You weren’t expecting anyone.

Anyhow, you went to the door, not caring to look through the eyehole, and opened it.

“Happy new year!” Chanyeol and Baekhyun shouted in your face as you opened the door. You flinched at the volume and boxed your ears.

“What are you doing here?” you asked and removed your hands. You saw that the rest of Exo-K were also there.

“It’s New Years Eve, what do you think we’re doing?” Kai said.

“Going from house to house to beg for money?” you raised a brow.

Chanyeol snorted and pushed you with his shoulder playfully, “No, silly! We’re taking you out!” he happily exclaimed.

You sighed in dread and shook your head, “Forget it. I have some papers to finish-“

“Papers my . Come on, we’re offering you a free ticket to hang out with us. Do you know how many girls that would kill to be in your spot?” D.O narrowed his eyes at you.

“Then go and ask them.” You curtly replied and got prepared to close the door, but Suho stuck his foot between the door and the frame.

“Hannah, come on. It’ll be fun.” He almost pleaded his tone deadly-sweet.

You sighed and opened the door fully again. You looked at the six boys and they were all looking at you with big, water eyes. If they had a tail, they would probably be wagging it.

Sighing, you gave in. “Fine.”

Chanyeol squealed happily and pulled you into a hug without thinking. Instantly, you used your knee to hit him in the stomach and he stumbled backwards.

“No skinship or else I’ll ditch your . Got it?”

Chanyeol nodded weakly and breathed out. “Okay.”

D.O leaned in and whispered to Kai, “Dude. Remember me that I should never touch her.”

~*~*~

“Omo! Hyungs, look at that!” Sehun excitedly pointed at an old lady selling fireworks. “Can we buy some?” he turned to Chanyeol, who was a er for aegyo, and pouted while rubbing his fist.

Chanyeol put on a straight face and firmly shook his head. He was not going to show his aegyo-loving side to you.

You chuckled and shook your head as you took a puff from your cigarette.

As you were walking, you glanced down at the stick between your index and middle finger. A small thought took form in your head, but you quickly pushed it away.

Still, you could not stop thinking about it.

“Hey, Hannah-ssi, what do you want to do?” Baekhyun asked as he appeared next to you.

“You were the ones who dragged me out. I assumed you had a plan or something.” You said as you brought the cigarette to your lips once again.

Baekhyun thoughtfully tapped his chin, thinking hard.

“Oh, we can go ice skating!” he then exclaimed.

Everyone stopped in their tracks and gave Baekhyun a look that could kill.

“Are you freaking serious?”

“Do you want me to kill myself?”

“No, hyung, just no.”

Baekhyun pouted at his friends protests. “It’ll be fun! We haven’t gone ice skating since-“

“Chanyeol fell and twisted his ankle so bad we had to take an ambulance. And therefore we don’t go there anymore.” Suho sent him a look.

“Don’t forget the time when Kai skated into the rink and hurt his nose.”

“And that time when D.O accidentally fell over a little girl and her mother threatened to sue us.”

You watched the boys argue in amusement. It was fun to see them bicker about past events.

“We could go to the Han river?” you then suggested. You had never been to the famous river and you thought it could fun.

The boys were silent for a while, then burst out, “The Han river it is!”

“But isn’t that pretty…cheesy?” D.O raised a brow.

“How is that cheesy, may I ask?” you fired back and crossed your arms over your chest. “But if you don’t want to go, fine. I’ll go myself.” You shrugged.

D.O was about to reply, but Chanyeol clamped his palm over D.O’s mouth. “No! We’ll go with you!”

~*~*~

“So, we’re here. Now what?” Kai blew his bangs and leaned over the rail.

You shrugged, “Beats me. Do whatever you want, I’m just gonna be here.”

D.O gritted his teeth, “You force us to go here, then you don’t know what to do.”

“I said I could go here alone, it was your damn happy virus who forced you to come.” You pointed at Chanyeol, who was chasing some kids with a small bicycle.

“Damn that happy virus.” D.O cursed under his breath and sent glares at the giant.

You chuckled and crossed your arms and leaned over the rail, glancing out over the beautiful river.

Even though it was New Year’s Eve, there wasn’t that many people around. You expected it to be crowded but there were only a few couples and a family with four kids.

“Hannah, here.” You looked to your side and saw Suho holding out a paper plate of hot dukkbokki. “It’s cold and this will keep you warm.”

You softened and accepted the plate, “Thank you.”

“Hey, who bought dukkbokki?” Chanyeol called from a distance. He was you eating some and pouted. “Suho hyung, did you buy me any?”

“No, buy your own.”

“But you gave Hannah!”  

“I’m a gentleman.” Suho admitted and gave you a cheesy grin.

You blushed slightly and looked down and continued to munch on the spicy food.

Chanyeol gaped at his hyung. It was his job to buy you food for Pete’s sake!

“Here!”

You looked up and saw Chanyeol holding out a mug of hot chocolate. He was smiling widely in anticipation at you.

You were already full because of the dukkbokki, but you couldn’t turn down Chanyeol’s anticipating smile . “Thanks, friend.” You meekly smiled and accepted the cup.

Chanyeol’s face lit up, “You called me friend!”

“Talk about being friendzoned.” Kai scoffed. 

“Shut up!” Chanyeol roared.

Sehun glanced at his armwatch and his eyes widened, “Guys, it’s two minutes until midnight!”

Everyone began to whisper and talk excitedly, waiting for the clock to strike twelve.

“What’s your new year’s resolution?” Chanyeol asked curiously. “Mine is to get better at math and get an A on a test!”

You chuckled, “I’m thinking about quitting smoking.”

Chanyeol gaped at you, mostly proud and happy. “Oh my God, that’s awesome!”

“Just abandon us, just do that.” Kai grumbled as he took a puff of his cigarette.

“I don’t want to pass away early due to cancer.” You stuck out your tongue at him, then turned back to face the river.

Chanyeol smiled warmly at you and patted your head. You was about to protest when he suddenly said, “I’m proud of you, Hannah.”

Those words made you feel warm and you smiled to yourself.

Everyone then began to count down. “1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8-“

You turned to look at Chanyeol.  He was excitedly counting down with the others and his eyes sparkled. 

There was just something about his boy. Just something about him that made you feel warm and, surprisingly enough, happy.

“10! Happy new year!”

Firework sat off and the sky exploded into a big screen of colors. Couple kissed each other and children laughed.

Chanyeol glanced at you from the corner of his eye. You were laughing as you saw two kids hug each other. His eyes traveled down to your pink, plump lips. For some reason, he just wanted to grab you and kiss you.

*My new year’s resolution will be to make you fall in love with me.*