Prologue

Siwon's Wife

 


Jamie happily skipped down the stairs as she mentally replays her plans for the day. First off was to get her credentials from the school, and then to thank her teachers for their support throughout the difficult year, and then to drop her borrowed books at the public library and to purchase that novel she had been waiting on for months at the bookstore, and lastly, to buy some groceries if she doesn’t want to starve for the next few days. Nothing really hectic.
 

“Hey, going out?” Allie, Jamie’s roommate, called from facing the computer.
 

“Yeah, got some things to do. What are you doing? I thought you had finished your research and had handed it already.” Jamie inquired as she double-checked her mailbag for essential things.
 

“I’m bored. So I’m playing an online game.” Allie answered with a shrug. “Jeez, this guy’s a maniac! I keep on losing to him!” she exclaimed as she lost yet another game.
 

Jamie just chuckled. “Okay, I’m going out. Don’t get stuck with that thing all day and eat lunch. I’ll be back later on the afternoon.”
 

“Yes, mom.” Allie rolled her eyes as she her chairs to say goodbye. “Oh, before I forgot, your dad called. I didn’t understand a thing other than for you to call home and its urgent.” she shrugged. “That’s what I heard anyways. I could only understand a handful of Korean. I think he forgot.”
 

Jamie rolled her eyes this time. “I’m going to call him right now. Thanks.” she said and fished out her phone from her pocket. Sure, long distance is going to cost a fortune but then she seldom call home so it’s worth it. Her father’s phone rang twice before he picked up. “Hi, dad, it’s me. How are you?” she greeted.
 

“Jae Mi! I’m fine, I’m fine. And you?” he asked, clearly delighted by his daughter’s call.
 

“Good. School’s out so I’m doing odd things to occupy my vacation. How’s mom? And Eunsuk?” Jamie asked, waving at Allie as she went out the front door of their shared apartment, she grinned at how her father had called her in Korean name, it may have sounded the same but here was that accent that she used to have on her first months in America.
 

“They’re fine.” there was a pause over the father’s line.
 

“Oh, okay. Dad, are you still there? Allie said you called and said it’s urgent. Is something wrong?” Jamie paused by the elevator, waiting for it to come down.
 

“Uhm, nothing, honey. It’s just that… (a sigh).”
 

“Dad, are you alright?” Jamie hesitated in going into the elevator as it opened. Clearly, something wasn’t right about her father wanting to talk to her.
 

“Jae Mi, honey. Do you remember when we used to tell you that we already have plans for your future after graduating college?” Jamie’s dad asked.
 

“Yeah.” Jamie hesitated for a bit. “It’s about working on the company, right? I mean, I know I’m not majoring in business administration but I got a minor on it knowing I’ll be helping you someday. Don’t worry about it, even though I got other plans, I’m still willing to work for you and help you…” she reassured. They have debated about her taking Education majoring in Music during her college early into her freshman year but had settled on her taking minor business courses. She didn’t know her father was still up about it.
 

“I know, Jae Mi. But you see, it’s not that.”
 

“Then what is it?” she asked.
 

“It’s… (a heavy sigh) I want you to come home. I’ll tell you everything. Your mother and I had talked about this already and agreed to it. It’s for he benefit of the company. And also securing your future.” her father explained, well at least tried to.
 

Jamie frowned. And then suddenly it clicked. Just like old dramas on television, and she wanted to laugh about how clichéd it was but couldn’t since it was actually happening to her. “You are going to marry me off to one of your colleagues’ sons, aren’t you?” she accused.