That Night

Like Someone in Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I was required to meet the cops who are responsible of Dara’s case. Dara was involved in a car accident two weeks ago so that’s why she was sent to the hospital, and that’s why they had to cut one of her legs off. I had to duck myself all the way when they told me about Dara’s history record for over the past ten years.

She changed her name, her identity, she changed everything about her that’s why it had been so difficult to track her down.

She has been in so many troubles. She is considered as criminal. She was forced to go into a rehab by the police eight years ago after getting caught having drug party. They said she had a friend, a very close friend who was always with her all this time. It was a guy. She told them he was a childhood friend. But he died from the accident.

She was living from one to another motel. Once they captured her under the suspicion that she was an illegal hooker moreover she was armed with a gun.

They also said, she had been making calls regularly with unknown person, seen by her always picking up different phone booth twice a year, she acclaimed that she was being watched or taken care of by mysterious person. She never wanted to say who it was.

 

“Maybe it’s someone you know in the past?”

 

“I don’t think I would know someone who would take care of her, except me… or her father. I don’t think it’s her father either…”  I said to them.

 

I was so busy with thoughts that I haven’t even told anyone about this, about me finding Dara. I’ve decided to stay in the hospital tonight. I asked the nurse to set up a bed for me beside hers. I’m planning on living here until she recovers, then I would take her home and I would take care of her.

 

She didn’t want to talk to me. I kept talking to her, but she never replied me. I kept talking and talking until I realized she is already asleep. I watched the clock as I tried to get some sleep but I can’t. My mind can’t stop spinning, thinking and thinking and thinking. Thinking about stuffs.

 

I got out of the bed and walked to her, watched her sleeping. I her face and her lips, “Don’t worry, Dara… everything is gonna be alright.” I said to her before I kissed her lips, lightly. Then I walked out of the room.

I got some coffee and sat on the row chair. Nobody is around except for the nurse at the end of the hallway. It’s very late already.

I’m starring at nothing for like minutes. I wasn’t even aware of what’s going on around me until I heard a step. I looked at where it came from.

 

We looked at each other for seconds. Then she continued walking toward me with sticks and sat down two chairs away from me.

“You shouldn’t be here…” I said and sipped my coffee.

 

“Coffee?” I offered her. She just shook her head and looked away. She starred at my wrist, the tattoo I made is still there, her name is planted inside my skin, together with the promise, the promise that I won’t stop loving her that my love will last likely forever.

 

“I don’t think you should drink coffee when you can’t sleep.” She said suddenly, the first thing she said after hours. I looked at her, amazed to see her finally talk to me. I can’t hide my smile.

 

“What?” she asked.

 

“Nothing. Just… glad that you finally talk to me.”

 

She looked away again.

 

“How did you find me?” she asked.

 

“I got called from my secretary that one of the people I sent to find you, had sent message that they had a clue where you at. So I rushed to this hospital and… here I found you.”

 

“How long have you been looking for me?”

 

“I’ve been looking for you since the day I realized that you were gone for good.”

 

“Why? Why did you still look for me?”

 

I sighed. “Why do people always ask the same thing to me? It’s weird. I just can’t believe how people can get over something that easy, how they give up so easily. I had faith in me, though they said you were dead, gone, or whatever. I still believed that somehow you’re still….. alive, and I would find you.”

 

“So did you have girlfriend all this time? What have you been doing?”

 

“Looking for you…”

 

“I meant…”

 

“No. All I did was doing my best at school, getting out from rehab, did my job well, and looking for you. I told you… you’re gonna be the only person I’d love.”

 

She smirked, “I swear you’re the stupidest person I’ve ever met and that was the most ridiculous statement I’ve ever heard.”

 

“It’s not ridiculous. I meant it. I’m serious about it. I love you and…”

 

“Enough. I don’t wanna hear it.”

 

“Why did you leave me?”

 

She looked away again from me.

 

“What happened to you? What did you do to yourself?”

 

She frowned, “What? You mean this…. And this?” she pointed at her head and her missing leg. “Are you feeling sorry for me or are you ashamed?”

 

I clutched my hands, “It’s hurting me, to see you like this. I just don’t understand why did you leave!”

 

“I had to. It was the right thing to do. I never regret it, seeing you grow up and all well. Watching you reaching your goals. I know, Chae… what I did was the right thing.”

 

“What do you mean? You leave me so I can get better life while you suffer from whatever I don’t know… what the hell were you thinking? Why did you leave me when my life was in a ing danger?”

 

“For God’s sake don’t you remember what I did to you?”

 

“What did you do to me?” I asked as both of my eyes study her face. She looked surprised.

“Don’t you remember?” she asked.

 

“I lost my memory. I can’t remember what happened that night. They said I was so traumatized… what… what happened?” I asked her as I moved closer to her and grabbed both her hands.

She started crying. “What’s wrong? Tell me! Tell me what happened! Nobody wants to explain to me, nobody wants to tell me the truth… I knew it there’s something going on that night, isn’t there?”

 

I lifted her head up and forced her to look at me.

 

“That night, I brought you to a street race venue. You kept telling me you wanted to go home, that you didn’t want me to do this. But I insisted that it’s gonna be alright coz I’ve done it quiet often. Then you were mad at me, we had a fight. But then I promised you that was going to be the last time I di

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter