She Moves In Her Own Way

Beautiful Day (HIATUS)

 

5 am. An ungodly hour for Jessica. She hated mornings the most. She hated having to remove herself from sleep and a perfectly fine bed. Tiffany always told her that sleeping too much was bad for you. The ‘Sleeping Beauty’ would beg to differ; sleeping kept you sane, it’s waking up and going out into wild that’s bad for you.

 

Jessica and her sleepy staff packed their belongings and equipment into the van provided to them by the magazine company. It seems that they’re pulling out all the stops for this editorial. Well, it was for the first issue of the new year. Once they arrived at Central Park, (where the first photo shoot is taking place) Sunny began directing around the staff, making sure they set up everything in its proper place. Hyoyeon was double checking the outfits the models would be wearing and praising herself for being so good at her job. Sooyoung was the only one not doing anything, just sitting on some of the equipment boxes eating chips that she kept in her bag for ‘emergencies’. That soon ended though, when Sunny went up to her, scolded her and took away her ‘emergency’ provisions. Sunny told her she would give them back if she went and helped the other staff members until her work arrived. Jessica was in front of the table where her cameras were placed, a laptop, and all the cameras’ fixings. She was checking for any equipment problems, but found none. She was about to sit down for a nap when the models arrived.

 

Im Yoona was one of the two models for the spread. She was a rather tall, but not taller than Sooyoung, girl that looked her age, nineteen. She had pale, porcelain skin, long jet black hair, and just a hint of baby fat under her eyes that probably swelled up if she lacked sleep. All of this made her look like an Asian beauty from textbooks. Kwon Yuri, no less beautiful than Yoona, was the same height as Yoona and had a slightly darker skin tone that got her to be made fun of as a kid, but now is one of her points of attraction. Her hair was like Yoona’s and she had endearing smile-lines, another point of attraction. Truthfully, they both looked quite similar, and sometimes strangers would mistake them for sisters, to which they contorted their faces, vehementally replied ‘no’, and shook their heads violently.

 

Kwon Yuri and Im Yoona are ‘rivals’. It began in their elementary school years, for a long forgotten reason, and thrived until now, though, one of the feels more of the sense of rivalry than the other. Whatever Yoona did, Yuri had to do it better. Whatever Yuri did, Yoona had to do it better. This was their shared mentality. Even though they call themselves rivals, they act quite chummy with one another, making silly bets, joking around, and occasionally pulling pranks on others.

 

Both girls walked up to Jessica, bowed and greeted her with wide, mischief filled smiles that did not go unnoticed by the ice photographer. Jessica instructed them into the tent to get changed and get their make up done right away. Following their orders, they walked, ending up in a full sprint for a race.

“I WIN,” Yuri proclaimed, panting, but proudly.

“No way! My arm was in before your fat head!” Yoona protested.

“NAH UH!”

“YEAH HUH!”

“NAH UH!”

“YEAH HUH!”

“Yah! Will you two kids shut up?! ” Sooyoung yelled at the girls, cutting their little argument off and pulling them away from each other. Apparently, some time when they were fighting, Yoona had grabbed Yuri by her collar. “Now I think I know how boss and Sunny unnie feel about us, Hyo.”

“Yeah, right? Neither of you won because Soo and I were here first!Hyoyeon responded, handing the girls their first outfits and pushing them into the ‘changing room’, that was really a partitioned square in the corner of the tent.

 

After changing, they sat in the make up chairs and played ‘rock-paper-scissors’ to decide who will get their make up done first, Yoona won.

“Yoongie-ah. You remember our little bet, right?” Yuri teased while getting her hair done.

“Of course I do, Kwon. And don’t call me like that.”

“Awww, but I like to, Yoongie. But do you really think that you can win against me?”

“Are you that confident in yourself? Gosh you have no shame. I know I can win, if it’s against you, because no one wants a shameless girl.”

“Yah! Don’t call me shameless. I was just asking a question. You don’t have to be so mean.”

“It wasn’t just a question, you were teasing me and it backfired.”

“But--” Yuri was cut off again, but this time by an angry shikshin.

“Do you guys not know how to shut up? I’m trying to get this done fast so I can eat!” Sooyoung yelled. Facing Yoona, “And you, Im something, stay still or I’ll make you look like road kill, okay?”

Nervously, Yoona replied, “N-ne!”

“Good girl. Chin up, please.”

“Hey,” Hyoyeon said, popping out of nowhere, “what’s this bet you and your twin were talking about?”

Yuri was busy talking to herself to calm down from the mini-heart attack she got from Hyoyeon’s ninja skills, “Yoona and I made a bet to see who could get a date with the hot photographer. And, we’re not twins. No relation whatsoever.”

The choding burst into laughter and managed to say, “Date...With...HAHA…Jessica? You two have a better chance asking out a tree!”

“Why? Is she taken already?”

Hyoyeon had finally calmed down and looked at Yuri’s curious face, “Not exactly taken. Well, her heart is. You’ll see later, if you decide to keep this bet of yours going. But, I suggest you end it, or you’ll be embarrassed by the end of today,” she said then disappeared.

“What do--”

“Alright Kwon, it’s your turn. Stay still.”

“Yes ma’am!”

 

Finally done getting ready, Yoona and Yuri came out of the tent. Everyone was, in awe, to say the least. Yoona was in a shoulder-covered white dress that ended right above her knees. Her make up was light, almost nonexistent, showing off her natural beauty and making her look like an innocent girl. Yuri was the opposite, she wore an all black shimmering, tight dress that showed off nicely, her toned, flat stomach and beautifully carved long, legs. Her make up was more dramatic than Yoona’s, but not over the top, fitting with the theme. The theme of the magazine spread is opposites. If Yoona was to be an innocent angel, Yuri would be a conniving devil. If Yuri was to be the Moon, Yoona would be the Sun.

 

Both girls flashed rather cocky smiles to the staff as they sauntered to the set. Jessica was impatiently waiting for them, tapping her right foot, but kept her face placid. They turned to look at their photographer, “So, photographer-nim, how do we look?” Yuri asked coyly.

“Like you’re supposed to,” Jessica answered coldly and uninterested in their little game. Hyoyeon had already told her about the models’ bet.

Yoona snickered at Yuri’s rejection, “How about me Jessica-ssi? Don’t I look better than Yuri?”

“Now Yuri, you stay standing behind Yoona…” Yoona was completely ignored. “A little to your right, Yuri….Not my right, YOUR right, babo! Okay, stay. Yoona, you sit on the bench and face to your left a little. Good.”

Jessica continued to adjust them and when they were finally ready, she ordered, “Sunny unnie. Turn the music on.”

Sunny pressed play on the iPod dock and Jessica got to work, occasionally redirecting the girls.

 

Tiffany showed up when Jessica was in the middle of Yoona’s individual photos and immediately captivated. Not by Yoona, but Jessica. She always was amazed with Jessica’s ambiance when she worked. Not bothering about anything but the job at hand. Concentrated and her chilliness morphed into charisma. Tiffany started to hum and it gradually turned into low singing.

 

“…So at my show on Monday
I was hoping someday
You'd be on your way to better things
It's not about your make-up
Or how you try to shape up
To these tiresome paper dreams
Paper dreams, honey

So now you pour your heart out
You're telling me you're far out
You're not about to lie down for your cause
But you don't pull my strings
'Cos I'm a better man
Moving on to better things

Well uh oh, oh I love her because she moves in her own way
Well uh oh, oh she came to my show just to hear about my day

And at the show on Tuesday
She was in her mindset
Tempered furs and spangled boots
Looks are deceiving
Make me believe it
And these tiresome paper dreams
Paper dreams, honey
Yeah

So wont you go far
Tell me you're a keeper
Not about to lie down for your cause
And you don't pull my strings
'Cos I'm a better man
Moving on to better things

Well oh oh, oh I love her because she moves in her own way
Well oh oh, oh she came to my show just to hear about my day

yes I wish that we never made it
Through all the summers
They're keeping us instead of
Kicking us back
Down through the suburbs
yes I wish that we never made it
Through all the summers
They're keeping us instead of
Kicking us back
Down through the suburbs

But uh oh, I love her because she moves in her own way
But uh oh, she came to my show just to hear about my day
But uh oh, oh I love her because she moves in her own way
But uh oh, oh she came to my show just to hear about my day”

 

She didn’t notice that Sunny had been standing next to her because she was so focused on Jessica. Only Jessica.

“You know,” Sunny began. Tiffany jumped and put her hand over her heart trying to calm herself down, then immediately bowed 90 degrees when she realized who was speaking to her. “If you keep singing like that, people are going to think you’re weird. But I won’t. I’ll turn off the iPod and let Jessica work listening to your voice. Much than an iPod.”

 

“Annyeonghaseyo Sunny unnie! Sorry I didn’t notice you earlier. I was just…you know… And I don’t think Jessi would be too happy just listening to me sing while she works.”

“Ah annyeong. Yeah, sometimes I get lost watching her too. But, on the contrary, I would bet my saving that Sica would be enthralled listening to you.”

“Was I obvious? I couldn’t help myself from watching her. She just looks so…I don’t know. She moves in her own way.”

 

Jessica, unbeknownst to Tiffany, had heard her singing, but kept working. She was in her element, photographing with Tiffany singing, she couldn’t feel any better. That summer in Paris, Jessica had taken some of her best pictures when Tiffany sang to herself, but loud enough to flood Jessica’s hearing.

 

After five more hours of the shoot, with Yuri and Yoona’s flirting, the photo shoot was done. Jessica turned away from the set and was face-to-face, a few meters away from and eye-smile she could never get tired of seeing.

“Oh, hey Tiff. Didn’t even notice you were here,” she greeted coolly.

“I could tell.” Tiffany walked up to Jessica and hugged her. After the hug, Jessica spoke again.

“So, it seems you weren’t in the way like you thought you were going to be.”

“Yeah. Sunny unnie had me helping her when she needed it. I mostly just watched you.”

“That explains the creepy feeling I had earlier! It was just you,” Jessica teased.

“Yah! It’s not like that. I was simply observing you work. Nothing creepy about that.”

“Most people watch the model, not the photographer. So yeah, it is creepy.”

“Ugh, whatever Jessi. Can you tell me why those two models were all over you?”

“Ooooh, Jealous Fany! Well, it seems that they had a bet to see who coul get a date with me. ‘Cause I’m hot, you know.”

“Sure you are. But why did you keep rejecting them?”

“Not my type. Models are moody, sensitive little things. I can’t handle that.”

“You’re so boring, Jessi! Most people would love to date a model. You need to get out there and date.”

“Don’t want. I’m perfectly fine in my little bubble of comfort.”

“What is your type anyways? You’ve never dated anyone since we’ve been friends.”

“My type…Someone who’s talented, but not overly confident in themselves. Cute, but can be a total show stopper when she wants. Book smart, but dense. Beautiful, but she doesn’t know it, like she has been told that she is. And someone with the ability to change me.”

“Wow, that’s quite a person, Jessi.”

“She is.”

“You’ve already found her? Jessi, WHY HAVEN’T YOU TOLD ME?!”

“Woah! Down girl! I’ve found her, a long time ago actually, but she hasn’t seen me.”

“An unrequited love? Jessi, I didn’t know you were so romantic. How could she not see a great girl like you?”

“Hey, let’s not get out of hand. Having an unrequited love is not romantic. Not in the least, it’s sad really. She hasn’t noticed me, because like I said, she’s dense."

“You are a romantic, Jessi. If she hasn’t noticed you, she doesn’t deserve your love.”

“Don’t say that, Tiff. She’s worth more love than I could ever give her. When she sees me, I’ll be there. I’ll just wait ‘till then.”

“That’s lonely, Jessi. What if she never realizes?”

"Well, then I’ll still be happy because I’ve been given the chance to know love, even if I never get any back.”

“That’s sweet, but still too lonely, Jessi!”

“Maybe, but I can handle it. Now let’s go help to others load the van and we’ll go out to dinner.”

“Okay! Wait, it’s going to be after 7 by the time we finish,” Tiffany whined.

“Get over it. You could use a little fat, you’re too skinny.”

“Fine then, be like that. Get moving Jung!”

“Technically, I’m your boss, so you get moving Hwang!”

“Technically, I’m just a volunteer,” Tiffany said while walking away.

 

The other five girls watched the whole conversation of Jessica and Tiffany like it was a movie. Yuri and Yoona realized why they’d been rudely rejected all day.

 

Now sitting in the van, seven girls are discussing what they’ll have for dinner. Jessica already introduced Tiffany to Hyoyeon and Sooyoung, who bombarded the poor girl with questions , and Yoona and Yuri, who immediately dropped their bet for Jessica and made a new one for Tiffany. That dropped like a dead fly when Tiffany said she was already in a relationship. The photography crew plus Tiffany were in the van because Sooyoung decided that a hard days work required ample payment, in food. Yuri and Yoona decided to tag along because they didn’t want to be bored in their hotel rooms, where their managers would’ve kept them. The finally decided on pizza and were off to the nearest place, Sooyoung and Yoona were complaining about how hungry they were, those shikshins.

 

_________________________________

A/N: Title and song in this chapter is a song by The Kooks. One of my favs