Forty Three

Mine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Credits go to hungry- (from  affamé graphic shop), for this amazing poster.

[ Forty Three. One and Only ]

 

On the day Jiyong’s mini-album is released, he held an exclusive dinner party with some of his closest friends to celebrate his comeback and upcoming birthday. As the guests arrived to offer him their congratulations and presents, Jiyong kept Dara by his side and made sure to introduce Dara to everyone proudly. It also did not escape anyone’s eyes that he kept his hand at the small of Dara’s back the entire time. Those who worked at YG, like his hairstylist Tae Hyun and choreographer Jae Wook, were not surprised at this official introductions at all. By their interactions in the company, almost everyone had guessed that they were together. They did not parade their love flauntingly by being openly intimate, but anyone with close observations could see from the way Jiyong speaks tenderly to Dara and how Dara would quietly watch Jiyong’s dance practices in the corner well after midnight that the two were in a relationship. For those that did not see Jiyong frequently, it came as a surprise.

 

“I don’t think I’ve seen you around before, Dara-sshi.” Han Ye Seul, an influential and respected Korean actress, took off her sunglasses to scrutinize Dara up and down with her haw-like eyes. “You must be new to the showbiz. Are you a model, an actress, or singer?”

 

“I’m currently working under YG Entertainment as a songwriter,” Dara answered modestly, bowing to the senior actress. “I wrote songs for Jiyong and Chaerin’s albums.”

 

“She’s also my girlfriend,” Jiyong announced boastfully, earning a round of exclamations from the older actresses that were crowding around them.

 

“Omo!” Kim Hee Sun, an elegant actress and show host that had known Jiyong from his trainee days, clasped her hands around Dara’s, eyes round with wonder. As a senior in the industry, Hee Sun had tried introducing other actresses she knew to Jiyong, but he never shown any interest in keeping in touch with any of them. She was delighted that Jiyong had found his special someone. “I have wanted to know who is the lucky girl that would steal Jiyong’s heart, but it seems to me as if Jiyong is the lucky one to have you!”

 

“We are both lucky to have each other.” Dara forced a smile on her face, wondering why Jiyong seems to be acquainted with most of the attractive female actresses, models, and singers in the entertainment business. She realizes that her jealousy was ridiculous, because most of the people in this business were drop-dead good-looking and everyone knew practically everyone. Still, the thought did not sit well with her. Jiyong, seeming to have read her thoughts, kissed her swiftly on the forehead.

 

Hee Sun squealed, clapping her hands in approval at this display of affection. Wagging a finger at Jiyong warningly, Hee Sun said, “When you come on my talk show with Daesung next week, I’ll be interrogating all the details of your love life.”

 

“I’ll be prepared,” Jiyong said airily before Hee Sun, Ye Seul, and the other senior celebrities went to take their seats next to Daesung, who immediately stood up to greet them. Jiyong straightened up when the last guests to arrive walked in: Dongwook and Byul. Jiyong originally had been contemplating on whether or not it was a good idea, but it was a big moment for him, being his pre-birthday bash as well as the party for his mini-album, and he wanted them to be there. He was sure that Dara felt the same way. It has been a long time since the four of them have gotten together. Dara and Jiyong have visited Dongwook and Byul, but always shown up separately. Byul and Dongwook may have guessed at their relationship, but they have never confirmed it. Their complicated familial ties and their past associated with it was something that Dara and Jiyong had not gotten around to addressing, but Jiyong knew that it had to happen sooner or later.

 

“Jiyongie!” Byul embraced Jiyong tightly. “Happy early birthday, and congratulations! Thank you for your signed copy of the CD! We were playing it in the car on the way here, and it is the best! Definitely the best album of the year!” She then turned to Dara, and gave her an equally suffocating hug. “Dara-yah! How have you been? You’re skinnier than ever! Have you been eating properly?!” Byul frowned in disapproval at Jiyong. “Jiyongie, how could you have let our Dara-yah starve?!”

 

“Byul, my eating habits are fine and I am perfectly capable of eating on my own without Jiyong’s help,” Dara groaned as she went to hug Dongwook. “Dongwook.”

 

“Sandara.” Dongwook patted her back before letting her go to survey her. It comforted him to see how well Dara looks, with her sweet smile and shining eyes. Although they have visited Dara frequently during the time she lived abroad, she never looked as happy as she is now. “You look perfectly fine to me. More beautiful than ever.” Jiyong stiffly gave Dongwook a hug before the older man could move first, which made him smile. “Happy birthday, Jiyong. We are very proud of you.”

 

“Thanks.” Jiyong accepted the praise awkwardly, but Dongwook’s simple words meant a lot to him. “Why not sit down? I’ll be giving a short toast, and dinner will start soon. Your seats are by Tablo.”

 

“Great! I want to see how big little Haru has grown!” Byul said excitedly, and she tugged Dongwook towards their seats. With all of the guests sitting expectantly in their respective seats, Dara took her seat between Bom and Hyeongseop, who hugged her in greeting before telling her about his upcoming fashion show in New York. Directly across from Dara sat Seungri, who was squished between Chaerin and Soo Joo. Soo Joo noticed that Seungri and Chaerin were both dressed in the black and white stripes, and began teasing Chaerin about it. Jiyong stood at the head of the long table, raising up his glass to give his toast.

 

“Please hold up your glasses!” All the guests did as they were told before Jiyong continued with his speech. “I’ve never done this before, but thank you all for coming today to celebrate my comeback and birthday with me.” He stopped when there were still some people chatting loudly. Unsurprisingly, it was the section of the table where Soo Joo and Bom were talking at the top of their lungs. They were arguing that Seungri and Chaerin were definitely wearing couple outfits, while the latter was flushing red as she denied everything. Seungri did not confirm nor deny anything, and instead gulped down his water as if he had been trapped in the desert for days. “Uh, please look at me! Over here, focus on me. Eyes on the birthday boy.” Everyone in the room laughed, and the group stopped in the middle of their argument to pay attention to Jiyong. “As I was saying, thank you for coming. It means a lot to have everyone that I care about here-“

 

“That’s a lie!” Teddy hollered from his seat. “You said everyone, but there’s only one of us in this room that you really care about and we all know it!” The guests laughed as they all turned in their seats to look at Dara knowingly. Dara bit her lips in embarrassment, casting her eyes on the napkin resting on her lap. Jiyong smiled as he shrugged casually, not refuting Teddy’s statement.

 

“I have only one heart, so it can only beat for one person,” Jiyong explained gravely, and immediately all the guests started clamoring, cursing and shrieking at once. How can he say those words so easily in front of everyone? Dara groaned lightly as she hid her blushing face behind her hands, while Bom and Hyeongseop nudged her playfully. It was Jiyong’s birthday dinner, yet she became the center of attention. He has been introducing her as his official girlfriend to everyone, and now professing his love openly in front of them. Although she was uncomfortable with the spotlight, it was touching to know that this was Jiyong’s way to show how much he cares about her and how proud he was of their relationship through actions without causing damage to her career.

 

“I’m taking back my present! It was the limited edition of shoes you wanted at the Milan show!” Yanggaeng shouted in disgust. “, I just told you what it was!”

 

“Anyway, I hope that you all enjoy this dinner.” Jiyong took the first sip of champagne, and everyone clinked their glasses. “Happy birthday to me.”

 

“Happy birthday, GD!” Xin yelled. The waiters then started carrying out dish after dish of delicious food onto the table. The atmosphere was great as guests drank wine merrily and chatted with their neighbors. Many people came to chat with Dara, unable to hide their curiosity for Jiyong’s girlfriend. Most of them were very friendly, but there were a few that were snubbing her and hinting at her inferiority as a songwriter, not a glamorous celebrity that matched Jiyong’s popularity.

 

“She was obviously being catty and snobby to you because of it,” Bom whispered lowly to Dara, referring to one of the actress that openly expressed her disappointment that Jiyong was no longer single. Dara could not say that she was not surprised. Jiyong was evidently a very much-wanted piece of eye-candy in the industry. Well, that piece of eye-candy is mine, she wanted to say smugly.

 

“Dara,” Tablo came up beside them, tugging his daughter, Haru, with him. The little girl squealed as she jumped to sit on Bom’s lap, requesting Bom to sing her debut song to her. As expected of the daughter of YG’s CEO, Haru has memorized the songs of all the artists under YG Entertainment at a young age. Bom giggled before she sang to Haru, who listened in awe. “I know that you just finished wrapping up so many albums, and is busy working on Winner and iKON’s debut. But we’re planning to push for Jiyong’s next studio album soon, so that he can launch another world tour. He told me that he only wants to work with you for his next studio album, and Teddy and Choice37 will only arrange it, so I’m asking you two to speed things up.”

 

Dara took a deep breath. Because Jiyong has been so busy, they have barely gotten around to working together for his next full album. She should get a head start on writing herself. “I understand. I’ll try.”

 

“And don’t forget Bom’s comeback single,” Tablo reminded her before moving on to lecture Bom sternly about escaping her work-out sessions with her trainer. Dara could see her loading of work building up by the minute, and took a good sip of champagne before letting out a sigh. She knew that her job was of utmost importance to Jiyong’s musical career. The thing about working as a songwriter is that they are rarely recognized for their work, but what they do make or break the artist’s success in the business. People link the songs to the singers that sing them, but almost never take note of who wrote it. There was a time when she had been envious of the applause and glamor singers enjoy, but now she is content working behind the scenes. It is what she loves doing.

 

The night went by quickly. After unwrapping presents and receiving birthday punches, Jiyong began to send off the guests one by one, thanking them for coming. Before leaving, Byul spotted the ring on Dara’s finger and started freaking out.

 

“What is this?!” Byul shrieked in a high-pitched voice, holding Dara’s hand up to observe the diamonds on the ring. “Are those real diamonds?! Are you two…I can’t believe that you guys got married without telling me!”

 

Dara hastily went on to tell her that it was a gift given to her for working on Jiyong’s mini-album, not a wedding ring, but Byul was still unconvinced. As Dara calmly answers each one of Byul’s questions, Dongwook and Jiyong stood quietly as they watched them.

 

Dongwook was the first to break the silence. “I don’t think I have to tell you how selfless, wonderful, and accomplished Sandara is, and how you should never take her for granted.” He was speaking from the perspective of Dara’s father, to the man that he had a feeling would spend the rest of his life with the girl he viewed as his daughter. Although it was evident to him that Jiyong truly loves Dara, he felt that it was his responsibility to say it aloud.

 

Jiyong, feeling rather strange when realizing that Dongwook was not speaking as his father but Dara’s, nodded slowly. “I know. There is no way that I’ll be letting her go.”

 

“I’m not asking you to.” Dongwook took a deep breath before looking at Jiyong seriously. “Jiyong, I’m not sure if Dara told you, but when she left to study abroad, I had been the one to suggest it to her. I had been desperate when Byul was set on divorcing me for the sake of you two, and it was a mistake that hurt both of you-“

 

“It doesn’t change anything.” Jiyong brushed it off. It was his first time hearing this, but strangely, it was not important to him anymore. For a period in his life, it drove him paranoid as he tried to pinpoint what was Dara’s motive for leaving, the reason that was much more important than he was to her. Now that he has her back, it does not matter anymore and he does not want it to come between them. It was time to move on. “It doesn’t change the fact that she did leave, and the fact that I got my heart broken. It also does not change the fact that I still fell back in love with her years after, and that you are still my father. I cannot accept what you or Dara did in the past, but I still love both of you and Byul. What is past is past. All I want is for you and Byul to be happy for us. For all of us to be happy.”

 

“Of course. I’m glad to hear you say that, son.” The great weight of guilt that he had been carrying for the past few years lifted from his shoulders, Dongwook clapped Jiyong on the back before walking towards Byul to take her home.

 

“What were you and Dongwook talking about earlier?” Dara asked as they got in the car to head home. The mountain of presents that Jiyong received were piled up in the backseat beside Teddy, who they were driving home. He was already knocked out by alcohol before desserts arrived.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter