Thirty Six

Mine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Credits go to hungry- (from  affamé graphic shop), for this amazing poster.

[ Thirty Six. Envy (Part II) ]

 

“Where is the bracelet I bought you?” Bom asked Seunghyun crossly under her breath as the two of them posed together in the lobby of YG Hotel in front of dozens of flashing cameras. She kept a professional smile on her face although her eyes were nearly spitting fire, evidence of how pissed she was inside. Although she hated being the one that bowed down first, Bom had been the one to break the silence by asking Seunghyun to wear the matching couple bracelets she bought in Europe when visiting him on the set. The simple-minded singer had put it in her head that this would be a test for Seunghyun, to see if he truly cared about her and paid attention to what she asks of him. Because they were assigned to be photographed by the media together before entering Dara’s welcoming party at YG Club, there would be pictures of the two of them standing side by side. Wearing the accessory was a small thing, something only sharp-eyed and obsessed fans would notice. Even if the media blows it out of proportion, they can always deny it being proof of them being a couple by saying it is because they work with the same stylist or have the same items by coincidence because they are from the same company. It would make Bom’s day knowing that there was some kind of solid proof of their relationship. However, there was no sign of the bracelet on Seunghyun.

 

“I forgot. I left it at home.” Seunghyun told her when they were asked by the reporters to change poses. He casually put his arm on her shoulders, causing excitement among the reporters and photographers. The frequencies in the flash of camera lights became even more blinding. “Besides, you know how I always wear long-sleeves. The bracelet would be covered up even if I did wear it today.”

 

Their managers signaled that they were good to go, and Bom stalked off the stage angrily in the direction towards the club, followed closely by Seunghyun and their staff members. “The point, Seunghyun, was not that it would be covered up! The point is that I asked you to wear it and you didn’t! Why, are you afraid that people will know about us if you wore it? Are you that ashamed of me? You know you can go ahead and deny everything if that happens, saying that ‘we’re not exactly dating’.”

 

“I am not afraid of what people might say or think about us. I would never think that way. Bom, why is it such a big deal to you? I’ll wear it next time. I’m sorry for not remembering.” Seunghyun tried coaxing her, but Bom got even angrier at his words.

 

“Hey, hey, I am not making a big deal out of anything here!” Bom fought to keep the tears in her eyes from falling. She hated how she would tear up whenever she got emotionally worked up. “I am only disappointed in you, Choi Seunghyun. I never asked for anything from you, and wearing a bracelet I gave you is not that difficult. But the point is that you could not even finish one easy task for me.” She spotted Minzy’s bright hair, and left Seunghyun speechless on the spot. As Bom made her way towards Minzy, she inwardly cursed Seunghyun for being stupid and inconsiderate, even when it was already apparent enough how furious she was. She was not an unreasonable and cold-hearted girlfriend. On the contrary, all she wanted was for Seunghyun to grab her arm and pull her into his arms to stop her from leaving. That was all she wanted. If he did that, she would forget and forgive about anything he’s ever done. Bom thought of herself as easy to please. She did not ask for promises of forever or exaggerated displays of public affection in front of everyone. Why didn’t he get that? Or was it because he simply did not feel like she was worth it? Her chest heaving up and down in great agitation. “Minzy, come, come! I’m getting drunk tonight! Where is the alcohol?”

 

After Seunghyun and Bom left, it was Dara’s turn to be photographed and interviewed by the press. She smiled gracefully, flipping her long, slightly wavy hair out of the way as she patiently repositioned herself to look in every direction they asked for. The dress she bought while shopping with Jiyong was a white silk number with butterfly prints that gave her an innocent, youthful look of elegance. She added black fishnet stockings, a black choker, and a black leather lapel blazer resting on her shoulders to give her outfit a more sophisticated, fiery feel that suited with the style of YG Entertainment. Bom’s make-up artist did the incredible smoky eye make-up for her, gushing endlessly about how not even Chaerin would be able to steal the spotlight from her that night.

 

The finishing touch was a wreath of diamonds resting on her middle finger, the gift Jiyong had insisted on buying her. He made her try on various pieces of jewelry that day, determined to buy something for her despite her strong protests. Dara really like the ring, but the number of diamonds on it was more than enough deterrence before she even looked at the price. They left the place without buying anything, but Dara woke up the next morning to find that Jiyong had left it wrapped in a box by the bedside table with a handwritten note.

 

Something for my ride or die partner. From, Clyde

 

“Miss Park, how do you feel about entering YG Entertainment?” A reporter shouted at her.

 

“I am honored and very excited to be working with such talented people, artists and staff members alike. I love every artists’ distinct style, and the staff here are very hard-working and professional at what they do. I believe we will be able to achieve incredible things together.” Dara showed all of her teeth as she turned her mega-watt smile on them, despite her cheeks hurting from smiling for so long.

 

“Sandara-sshi, Lee Donghae, the soon-to-be CEO of SM Entertainment, has expressed his congratulations to you on his social media account! How do you feel about that? What is the relationship between the two of you? Are you two dating?”

 

Dara was taken by surprise, but regained her composure and managed to keep the smile on her face. The move was unlike Donghae, who she understood to be someone that preferred to keep out of the media. It was even more preposterous that he had did so when he did not offer his congratulations to her privately. Because she had been so preoccupied with work lately, she has not thought to contact Donghae about what she heard from Minzy about his private request to convince Dara to leave YG. “We are only friends. Of course I am more than happy to hear his good wishes.” She then added deliberately, “It is important for me to know that my family and friends are supportive of my decision to enter YG Entertainment.”

 

Reporters continued to ask even as staff members stepped in to announce that it was the end of the time for questions. Surrounded by bodyguards and staffs separating her from the swarm of media, Dara headed inside the club and met up with Tablo and Teddy, who led her to introduce everyone at the party. She mingled gracefully with each one of them, taking her time accepting their introductions and congratulations.

 

“Hey there, everyone!” Seungri shouted in the microphone, attracting the attention of everyone to the stage. “I am proud to introduce to you the newest addition to our YG family, Sandara Park!” The crowd cheered and applauded enthusiastically as Dara waved from her spot. “She is also a good friend of mine even before she joined YG, which is why I gave up bartending to become the host tonight.” Laughter resounded inside the club at Seungri’s words. “To celebrate Dara noona entering YG, the soon-to-debut idol groups, Winner and iKON, have prepared the opening performance tonight. Not only is it their first stage, but also the first time they will be singing the single of iKON, ‘My Type’, which is not released yet! Enjoy your night, everyone!”

 

Dara waited in anticipation along with the rest of the crowd, as the smooth, relaxed beat of the music came out. It has a light, mellow feel to it, which was different from the strong and edgy pieces Dara had worked with iKON on. This was a song that she have not heard before. The trainees appeared on the stage wearing black and white, singing their song live.

 

Your sneakers under your thin ankles
A perfect harmony with your denim skinny jeans
Under your slightly big cardigan
Your falling, long, straight hair is so pretty
Your shy eye smile, the look on your face
when you space out
It all looks so pretty to me, it makes my heart tremble
Why did you come now? You’re my type

 

Jiyong, who had arrived late, has only eyes for Dara as he slowly made his way towards her. Because Dara had gotten prepared for the party with Bom at the company, Jiyong has not seen Dara until getting there. From head to toe, Dara was flawless. She kept it classy and chic, yet managed to dominate over everyone else in the room. To him, she was the perfect mix of the smoldering iness and exquisite elegance. This scene reminded him of the first time they met, in front of YG Club when Dara was ran into him when rushing to Bom’s birthday party. Some things don’t change. After pounding fists with Choice37, Tablo, Seungri, and Teddy, who was standing by Dara, Jiyong touched Dara slightly on the arm, causing her to turn her head towards him. She smiled radiantly at him, which he returned.

 

oh oh your delicate smile
oh oh your eyes when you look at me
There is no flaw anywhere
There’s no time to be bored, you’re perfect

oh oh your cute voice
oh oh we’re getting closer
Why did you come now?
Love has finally come to me

 

“Looking like that, you are making it impossible for anyone not to fall in love with you.” Dipping his head so that his breath tickled her ears, Jiyong whispered lowly. Dara’s heart thumped painfully against her chest at his words. She looked at him suspiciously, but there was no sense of teasing or coldness on his face.

 

Dara surveyed Jiyong closely. He had an outfit of all black, from his leather pants to high-collared top and sunglasses, with the exception of white sneakers and a thick golden chain on his neck. “You’re not bad yourself.”

 

You’re my type,
you’re my type
Even if you don’t say anything, I have a feeling
From your head to your toes, everything
You’re my type
When I look at you,
I want you so bad I go crazy
I think about you even right before I go to sleep pow

 

The stopping of the music signaled the ending of the performance, and Dara hastily turned her face to the stage, clapping in support of the trainees, who bowed ninety-degrees to the crowd before leaving the stage. A DJ took over, playing hip-hop songs with powerful beats. People started swaying and dancing while others engaged in talks or drinking contests.

 

“Nice work. How come I haven’t heard that song before?” Dara shook hands with each of the trainees that came over like a herd to greet her. All of them were stunned by how gorgeous Dara looked up close, and a few of them pointedly avoided looking directly into Dara’s eyes, faces flushing with shyness. It was entirely different from seeing her in the company.

 

“It’s a surprise for you, noona!” Bobby beamed at Dara. “B.I. wrote it especially for you.”

 

“Yah!” B.I., whose face was usually sour and unsmiling, reddened at Bobby’s betrayal, which earned the laughter and teasing from the other boys.

 

“Now do you believe me that I’m being deserted in the studio?” Choice37 hung his arms around Teddy and Tablo’s shoulders in defeat. “They already fight in the studio for her attention, and now she even has a song written for her. I am so hurt. I’ve been working with them since planning for their debut, and this is how they treat me.”

 

“No dating in-house,” Tablo told the trainees sternly. “I already have enough on my hands.”

 

“Yes, Tablo hyung,” the trainees said rather gloomily. Choice37 and Teddy shared a look, and stifled their laughter.

 

“Good. Go continue practicing at the company. Remember to go out by the secret passageway and avoid being photographed by the press. Most of you are minors, so it would be a bad image to have you guys appear at a club. I was originally not going to let you all come, but since your performance was for Dara, I made an exception.”

 

“Thank you for coming and the wonderful performance. I love the song.” Dara thanked them warmly, and the trainees left in higher spirits than before. Mischievously, Mino gave a quick peck on Dara’s cheeks before running away, beaten by the other trainees that were howling in protest and indignation over his sneaky move.

 

“Did you see that? What the hell? They have not even debuted, and they are already acting out of line.” Jiyong frowned at Dara. “I could tell that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter