Twenty

Mine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Credits go to kurogane, for this amazing poster.

[ Twenty. Let's Fall In Love ]

 

“I really think Donghae has a thing for you!” In Na teased Dara as they walked down the stairs after their last class together. “I cannot believe that he waited an entire two blocks just to give you cup of coffee!”

 

“It’s only because he got two from the buy-one-get-one promotion, and didn’t know what to do with the other cup,” Dara protested. Yes, she does notice that Donghae seems to be treating her in a way that suggests he wants to be more than friends. To tell the truth, it is flattering that someone like Donghae would be interested in her. However, she doesn’t want to have their friendship lead to something more.

 

“Totally lame, lame excuse!” Bom sang out, flipping her hair. “He could’ve just drank two cups himself, or give it to a stranger. Why bother coming all the way here to give it to you? He is definitely smitten with a capital s!”

 

“You know what, he reminds me of Jiyong, when he was following Dara around before!” Minzy suddenly exclaimed. Dara had to stifle a laugh. She cannot think of grouping Donghae and Jiyong together, their personalities being so different. Jiyong was the devil, smirking as he placed traps all over the place, while Donghae was an angel descending from the heavens, smiling genuinely to make peace and prosperity for mankind.

 

“Speaking of which, where is Jiyong?” Bom looked around. “Usually he’d be here to pick you up, right? Did something happen to him?”

 

It was completely unlike Jiyong to be late, and even stranger that he did not tell Dara beforehand of having plans or not being able to make it. Unconsciously furrowing her brow in concern, Dara picked up her phone to see if she had missed any calls or messages from him. Nothing. “How strange. He did not contact me either. Oh well, maybe he got caught up with basketball practice or something, and will be here soon. He did mention that they had made it to the semi-finals and were training like crazy almost every day afterschool. You guys go on.” Dara ushered the other girls towards the exit. “I’ll wait here for Jiyong.”

 

Minutes passed, and Jiyong still did not show up, making Dara more worried. She tried calling him, but there was no answer. Somehow, Dara could not fight the unfamiliar feeling of uneasiness looming over her, despite her efforts to stay rational and calm about all the reasons that Jiyong could have for not showing up. Sending yet another text asking where he was, Dara walked over to the gymnasium where a couple of guys from the school basketball team were talking.

 

“Excuse me, is practice over? Do you guys know if Jiyong left or not?” Dara asked one of them. They all stopped in mid-conversation to turn to look at her, then suddenly bowed ninety degrees in greeting.

 

“Oh! It’s Sandara noona! I’m Mir, currently studying mechanical engineering. I’m your biggest fan. Can I take a picture with you-“

 

Another guy, more composed, cut him off. “Noona, didn’t you know? Jiyong hyung is sick today, so he didn’t come to practice at all. The coach didn’t want him to push it too far, so he made him go home to rest for our upcoming game.” Dara vaguely remembered he was called Sanghyun; he was a hoobae that Youngbae treated like a friend.

 

“Jiyong is sick?” Dara’s eyes widened. “Is it serious? What happened?”

 

“I’m not sure, but I think he caught the flu.” The guy named Mir said thoughtfully.

 

“Do you guys know where he went after? To the hospital or a clinic maybe?” Dara asked anxiously. If Jiyong was so sick that he left without thinking of telling her that he would not be able to drive her back home, then his condition must be really bad. He could at least tell her! Then she could’ve skipped her classes to drive him to the doctor’s, so he doesn’t have to do it by himself.

 

“Maybe he went home,” said another guy. “I overheard Soo-hyuk hyung offering to drive him to the hospital, but Jiyong hyung refused to go.” Two guys walked out of the gymnasium, stopping short when they spotted Dara and the other guys. “Ah, Soo-hyuk hyung! Dara-sshi was asking where Jiyong hyung was!”

 

A slender guy with a gaunt face, so skinny that Dara was afraid that one step would break his bones, nodded to her in greeting. “Hello, I’m Lee Soo-hyuk, Jiyong’s friend. You must be Sandara Park.” Dara returned the nod politely. Come to think of it, aside from the people from YG Club, Dara did not know any of Jiyong’s friends at school. Since Jiyong had tagged along after her from the beginning, spending almost every waking hour by her side, it had never occurred to Dara that Jiyong would have his own circle of friends, or social life. Slightly guilty that she knows so little about Jiyong when they were supposed to be so close, Dara realized then how unbelievably selfish she was. Jiyong had treated her like the center of the universe, making time to take her shopping and driving her everywhere, but Dara had never even took the initiative to ask him about his other friends, or if he had any other plans.

 

“Jiyong looked pretty sick. I’m sorry, I should have drove him to see the doctor’s. But you know how stubborn Jiyong gets. He said he was going home to sleep for a while before coming back to drive you home.” Dara could not tell from Soo-hyuk’s impassive eyes if he was blaming her or not, but she felt as if she had been slapped in the face. Jiyong was already seriously ill, and yet he was putting Dara above everything else as his priority. She cannot believe how dumb Jiyong is, and how horribly guilty he is making her feel at that moment. “

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter