Twelve

Mine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Credits go to kurogane, for this amazing poster.

[Twelve. Knockout]

 

Dongwook had fulfilled his promise; a sleek and shiny new grand piano was moved to the living room on Jiyong and Dara’s floor, leaving no reason for Dara and Jiyong to stay late afterschool. Jiyong did not think much into it, shrugging it off, saying that he was almost done with his piece anyways. Since Dongwook rarely steps foot upstairs, he can still practice on the piano. There would be no way he can tell who was playing it, he pointed out matter-of-factly. The equipment needed to record was at school, and Professor Yang had given him access to it. But to Dara, it was not just about the Masterpiece of the Year. Somehow, she cannot shake off the feeling that Dongwook knew more to everything than he shows. That includes Jiyong’s abnormal, more-than-step-cousins feelings towards her. No matter how careful Dara was to avoid circumstances where Jiyong would act beyond brotherly, the way Jiyong behaves around Dara arouses attention and envy even from students. Every morning she arrives at the university in Jiyong’s white Bentley, he would run to her side to open the door gentlemanly for her, and carry her bag for her despite her strong protests. He would always be waiting for her classes to end, sometimes armed with a warm cup of coffee or her favorite soft drink, smiling sweetly like an angel sent from heaven. Even if Dara was in a bad mood or upset with him, he would still follow her everywhere dutifully. Only few people, most of them professors, know that Jiyong’s Dongwook’s son, so even fewer people know that Dara and Jiyong are technically step-cousins.

 

She did not have time to worry about that when preparations for the music festival, the time to announce the Masterpiece of the Year, paved the way for its arrival. Truth be told, Dara wanted to win. It was a well-known fact that since Seoul University was the best, many entertainment companies come to scout talented and young musicians. The student that gets first place in Masterpiece of the Year would no doubt receive a lot of attention from these companies, usually becoming a trainee soon after. As much as Dara treasure and admire Youngbae and Bom, she was secretly glad that they were more gifted in performance rather than making music, unknowingly giving her more chance of winning. If there was anyone who can beat her, it was Seunghyun. However, with her new song “Kiss”, she had confidence in herself. The beat was catchy, the lyrics were amazing, and the best part is that she found a gem in Chaerin, when she asked her to feature in the song, rapping a few lines. Both of them had different flairs, but managed to mix both of their styles into a y tune. As for the lyrics she had composed herself, she had spent many nights at YG Club with Jiyong watching over her, observing people around her to get inspiration. Even though Dara would not admit it, most of her lyrics came from the continuous rising attraction between Jiyong and her. It was different from her previous pieces that were inspired by movies or dramas. This time, it was as if she was writing her heart and soul into the melody. That’s why Dara was more confident than the previous years that she has a better chance of seizing first place.

 

While Jiyong and Dara had been lounging around home one day, each finishing their pieces, Dara had carelessly asked Jiyong what music meant to him. His answer wasn’t anything she expected. Thinking thoughtfully, he tapped his pencil on paper as he told her that music was him. When he plays songs on instruments, let it be piano or guitar, it was a gateway for him to display his emotions in a wonderful way. When he writes down lyrics and songs, it was putting his thoughts, opinions, and feelings into music. It was like a journal to record what he went through and how much he had grown. Even though Dara feels she has a lot of passion for music, the intensity she felt when Jiyong was explaining to her was nothing like it. It came so naturally and unforced for him, like a part of him.

 

“When you become a famous idol one day, please invite me to your first concert,” Dara joked after hearing him finish his little speech. It was rewarding for her that he was not like most people who want to become celebrities just to get famous or rich.

 

Jiyong smiled widely. “Deal! I will definitely mention you, and make you proud,” he promised confidently. Dara rolled his eyes at how immature he like, as usual, but did not dish out sarcasm as she would have.

 

They also discussed about pursuing a musical career. Even though Jiyong doesn’t say many details about it, Dara could tell that Dongwook was against Jiyong becoming anything but a lawyer, and that was one of the reasons why they don’t get along. Jiyong scoffs that Dongwook only wants to make him into a perfect son he can show off to his friends like a prized horse, and if Jiyong pursues music, it would put him to shame. It seemed a bit exaggerated to Dara, because she could tell that Dongwook cares genuinely for Jiyong, even if he doesn’t notice it.

 

“I’m sure that he cares about you,” Dara argued. Perhaps Jiyong was insecure and unsure of Dongwook’s love for him just because he’s adopted. Anyone could see that Dongwook cared for him.

 

“Well, you’re wrong,” Jiyong said flatly. “I’m sure that once I tell him I won’t become a lawyer, he’ll throw me out of the house.”

 

“If you don’t become a lawyer, what do you want to do then?”

 

“A true musician, an artist. Someone who performs, dances, sings, composes, produce music. An all-around entertainer.”

 

This surprised Dara, since it was the first time she heard a non-music-department student saying this. But she felt like she had to say something encouraging, especially to help improve Jiyong’s relationship with Dongwook. “I’m sure that if you have a precise goal and intentions to realize your dreams, Dongwook would be supportive. After all, it’s what you want, isn’t it? If it is something you enjoy and want more than anything in the world, then that’s all that matters.”

 

“Really?” Jiyong looked at her seriously.

 

“Really.”

 

On the day of the music festival, the department of music was already bubbling in excitement and nervousness, with students worrying in anxiety about their pieces and putting down bets for who will win this year. Every time Dara walked past people in the hallways or classrooms, she could hear them discussing her placing last year and so on, how it’s most likely either Seunghyun or her first this year. She shook her head to clear those distracting thoughts from her head, and headed down to the food and game stalls. Smiling to herself, Dara found Lee Hi and Wooyoung at the stall selling ice cream soda, and bought two before joining Bom in front of the stage. Before the announcement, there were live performances from students who had signed up, attracting students from every department for a glance. At the moment, Youngbae was dancing to a hip-hop remix on stage, earning enthusiastic applause and fans screaming at his performance. 

 

“Sandara! Omo, omo, they’re just about to start!” Bom shrieked, tugging Dara violently down to sit beside her. Bom looked more nervous than Dara was, even though she did not enter her piece. But that was typical of Bom to Dara, always putting people first before herself. After handing Bom a soda, Dara focused her eyes on the stage, where Dongwook and some professors of the music department step onstage to announce the winners. It was a bit strange to see Dongwook as the principal of their university at school rather than how he is at home. He looked like somebody else, a stranger she did not know...like a celebrity or politician you’ve heard of but only seen on TV and magazines.

 

“Now, I would like to announce the outstanding winners of our annual Masterpiece of the Year competition,” Dongwook declared loudly into the microphone as he read from the list he was given. “Third place, ‘A Good Man’ by Choi Seunghyun from music department.” Amazed by this unexpected placing, students were stunned for a moment before clapping awkwardly. Only third this year? Dara glanced at Seunghyun, who nodded unsmilingly at his fans who are crowded around him, giving him their support despite this strange outcome. She wondered what he was feeling inside, since he did not look disappointed or stunned at all on the surface. Their eyes met for a second, and Seunghyun winked at her as if to assure her he’s okay. “Second place, ‘Kiss’ by Sandara Park from music department.” Dongwook’s eyes caught Dara’s for a moment, and the man gave her an encouraging smile with a twinkle in his eyes while the other students cheered enthusiastically. I had beat Seunghyun! But none of us were first! It was unexpected, both in a good and a bad way. A part of her thinks of it as improvement and a compliment that she got better than Seunghyun, but another part of her feels crestfallen that she did not get first. Dara accepted congratulations from everyone around her, including Bom, who was screaming in her ears, and Youngbae, who hugged her heartily. Seunghyun also smiled at her, despite the fact that she had beat him. “First place this year...” It became dead silent as Dongwook’s voice trailed off. His eyes widened in confusion, and quickly turned to Professor Yang, apparently to question about the words written on the paper. Shaking his head and speaking slowly to Dongwook as if to calm him, Professor Yang was explaining to him about the outcome.

 

“We have a tie this year. First place goes to ‘Lies’ by Kwon Jiyong from the law department and ‘It’s You’ by Lee Donghae from the business administration department.”

 

The noise that erupted was explosive. Howls of outrage from the music department students who cannot take in the fact that the winners were from non-music department students. Disbelief from students from other departments at this odd outcome. This was unheard of in any competition of Seoul University. There was never a tie, and definitely never a competition in which the winners were from unrelated majors. The names Kwon Jiyong and Lee Donghae rang a bell among the gossipmongers, but they were not present at the music festival. Just as well, since they might be ripped to pieces if they were, let it be by obsessed fan girls or raging music students. Dara could not hear or feel anything for a brief moment, not even what Bom was bantering about or the people around her were saying about the results. The fact that she came running second, even beating Choi Seunghyun, did not seem to matter anymore. She was a musician, knocked out of her most anticipated competition of the year by an amateur like Jiyong.

 

The results left a bitter taste in Seunghyun’s mouth. To him, Dara deserved it, and it’s a great thing she’s improving so much that she beaten him this year. He also knew Lee Donghae personally, the future heir to take over SM Company, the largest entertainment company in the showbiz. But Kwon Jiyong? Outsider, Seunghyun scoffed to himself. What does he know about music? Seunghyun bet that, more than anything, Jiyong only entered to grab Dara’s attention, probably using his status as the principal’s only son to win. Seunghyun highly doubt that Jiyong has any music potential, being a law student who lacked professional training. He does not deserve such a high honor for such a low reason. It had been no use warning Dara of Jiyong, because Jiyong hung on longer and more persistent than Seunghyun estimated. Turning to leave the chaos behind, Seunghyun was about to head to class when Ahn Sohee, a reporter for the school newspaper, bumped roughly into him, scattering her notepad and pencil to the ground.

 

“Oh my! Seunghyun, sorry about that!” Sohee winced at her clumsiness, embarrassing herself in front of the most well-known and handsome music student on campus. Due to her nervousness, she blabbered on non-stop. “How clumsy of me! I was in a hurry to get the firsthand news on the Masterpiece of the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter