Three

Mine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Credits go to kurogane, for this amazing poster.

[Three. Weaknesses]

 

“Dee, is that you?” A soft voice, lighter than a butterfly’s wing, floated from the kitchen to the hall. Dara love that voice, how it would flutter around the house like a blithe spirit, and love the owner of the voice even more. Without giving a second thought to the person still standing on the pavement, she took off her boots hurriedly and walked past the hallway painted a pale lavender, which was a color Dara adored and thought of as the perfect color to ease the soul after a tiring day, and into the kitchen, painted a sunshine yellow by Dara herself last summer. The aroma of homemade lasagna and brewing rose tea tickled Dara’s nose playfully the second she walked inside.

 

“I’m home,” Dara announced as she walked over to open the fridge, getting a bottle of iced tea for herself. Smiling slightly, she turned to the other occupant of the room. “How was your day, Byul?”

 

Park Han Byul skipped excitedly towards the counter, where Dara was standing calmly, sipping her drink. With a flushed and cheerful face, she looked even younger than her actual age, which was twenty years older than Dara. They look alike, Byul and Dara. The same shiny brown hair, the same huge brown orbs, the same height, the same petite and skinny figure, the same simple beauty that glows. They often get mistaken for being sisters, when in reality, Byul is the only sister of Dara’s late mom. Dara rarely view Byul as her aunt, but if she were to pick one word she had to categorize Byul in, she would probably choose sister. There was no one else on the planet that means more to Dara than Byul. She was like a mom, sister, best friend, savior, teacher…all in one to Dara. Byul had taken Dara under her care unconditionally after Dara’s mom passed away when Dara was little, and showered Dara with love and affection as if she was her own daughter. It was hard to fully explain what kind of a bond they have.

 

Byul’s big brown eyes are full of childlike innocence and expectation for a wonderful world while Dara’s more guarded and passive. Growing up, Dara often felt that she was the parent in the relationship, having to take care of Byul’s recklessness and soothe Byul’s emotional roller coaster. Since Byul was the only family Dara has, Dara is protective of her, and spoils her, like what parents would do to their only child. Dara has done so many things against her will in order to please Byul and keep her happy. Youngbae once told Dara that, although she was cautious against everyone and hides her emotions under a mask of calmness, Byul was the exception to the rule. He even kiddingly pointed out, that if there was one thing that was the almighty Sandara Park’s weakness, it would be Park Han Byul. In a lot of ways, Byul resembled a child, with her untainted innocence, unlimited optimism, passionate heart to help others, and three-second memory. In response to Byul’s unlikely plans for the future, Dara was always the one pulling her back to the ground, being firmly realistic and analyzing everything cautiously from every perspective. Dara was independent while Byul was dependent. Dara like to take charge while Byul would be happy playing second fiddle to anybody. Perhaps, being complete opposites is why they get along so well and have such an unbreakable friendship.

 

“I have the best news ever, Dee! Congratulate me!” Byul begged sweetly as she jumped up and down. Dara laughed quietly as she went along with Byul and asked what happened. Byul suddenly blushed furiously and bit her lips slightly, like a little child having trouble keeping a huge secret from her mother.

 

“I’m getting married!” Byul trilled out in happiness as she hugged Dara tightly. “I’m so in love even a second is too long to wait for me! I know I should have discussed this with you, and let you meet him beforehand, but I’m just so happy! Congratulate me, Dee, I want you to be the most gorgeous bridesmaid in the entire Seoul when we have our wedding on-“

 

“Park Han Byul!” Dara shrieked in a high-pitched voice, unable to stop herself from pulling Byul away from her and shaking her frantically. She knew how insanely unreasonable Byul can be sometimes, but this was something she had not dreamed of encountering in a million years. This was too much! “Do you even know what you are saying? How come I haven’t even met whoever you’re supposedly getting married to? How can you be so irresponsible, Park Han Byul, do you even know-“ Dara abruptly stopped talking when she realized she was getting worked up, clucking and nagging like a mother hen. Sometimes she forgot that Byul is an adult, someone twenty years older than her who had the freedom to make her own decisions and choose to how to live out her life. Still, she could not keep from feeling a bit offended and hurt that Byul would keep something so important like this from her. She does not even know that Byul had been seeing anyone lately; the last time she confirmed Byul was dating was when Dara was still in junior high.

 

“Dara-yah,” Byul whined, tugging the hem of Dara’s shirt lightly as Dara turned around to turn off the stove, since the tea was ready. Byul could sense Dara’s unhappiness. “I know, I know, I was wrong to have kept this as a secret away from you. But you had so much on your plate lat

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter