Twenty Seven

Mine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Credits go to kurogane, for this amazing poster.

[ Twenty Seven. Heartbreaker ]

 

“Let’s welcome the hottest rapper on the K-pop scene, the rising superstar of Asia, G-Dragon!” Thunderous applause and enthusiastic screams from countless fans in the audience follow the show host’s introduction. On cue, the star appeared unsmilingly on the stage, bowing ninety degrees to everyone and shaking hands with the host before occupying the chair next to the awestruck host. Despite his polite actions that were rarely seen from other celebrities, there was still an air of haughtiness around him that made people keep their safe distance away from him. His messy hair was dyed half pink and half turquoise, a bizarre and risky fashion statement that he pulled off successfully. He wore a black leather jacket over a plain white shirt, which has become his trademark, paired with ripped jeans that clung stubbornly on his slender legs. Multitude of silver band rings adorn his slender fingers, chains of various thickness hung from his neck, and earrings dangled dangerously from both of his ears. Although the thick, black eyeliner made him look menacing and bad-tempered, if anyone looks closely enough, which nobody ever does, they will find that there was a rather dull, bored look in those eyes.

 

“Ah, in all my experience of interviewing top celebrities, I have never been as nervous as this,” Leetuk remarked as he made a gesture of wiping the sweat off his hands on his pants, earning the laughter of his audience. His guest did not even bother trying to crack a small smile. “G-Dragon-sshi…or is it okay if I call you GD-sshi?” He nodded coolly, and some fangirls swooned in admiration. “Ah, Mr. GD-sshi is really as cool as people say. Congratulations on reaching an all-kill on every top music charts upon the release on your first album, ‘Heartbreaker’!” Leetuk paused as the audience burst into applause. “Although the previous singles you released have been successful, it is still quite an achievement! Many music critics have praised it as the best album, with many hip-hop vibes that are rare nowadays. I’m sure that our viewers are as curious as me about the making of such a hit album! G-Dragon-sshi, would you mind telling us why you chose ‘Heartbreaker’ as the title song for your album? All of the songs on the album are very catchy, so why ‘Heartbreaker’?”

 

“How to say…’Heartbreaker’ is the song that started it all.” Jiyong looked earnestly into the camera with the audience’s breath hanging onto his every word. The intensity and fire in his eyes made it impossible to for anyone to blink. “Because I write all of my songs, every one of them are very personal to me. It is difficult to choose just one as the title song; it’s like choosing one part of your life to represent all of you. But I thought ‘Heartbreaker’ would be the most appropriate. It is the song that, in a sense, got me started on seriously pursuing my musical career.”

 

“And what about your personality, GD-sshi? Do you think of yourself as a heartbreaker?”

 

A crooked smirk appeared on the edges of his lips, causing the audience to squeal in delight. “No, I don’t think so. I think I’m the one whose heart gets broken.”

 

“I’m sure many of our viewers would disagree with you. He looks like a born heartbreaker, doesn’t he?” Leetuk said jokingly. G-Dragon’s image was a bad boy to the core, and some magazines even nicknamed him as the Korean James Dean. “You had mentioned in another interview that your songs are based on your own experiences in love. With all the songs that you’ve written, you must have had a lot of relationships before, right?” His words caused an uproar in the crowd, everyone holding different opinions but nonetheless desperate to hear the answer from their beloved idol.

 

The fiery, cold look in Jiyong’s eyes softened for a second. “No, most of my songs are about the same person, but about different stages in love.” His answer led to many exclamations and discussions in the audience about who that person was. Leetuk was about to press on this matter further, but caught the eye of the PD, who shook his head in panic. Obviously, G-Dragon’s agency had strict rules about what to ask, and this was one they would not allow to be spoken about.

 

Clearing his throat, Leetuk fumbled for the next of his cue cards. “You said that it had been difficult to choose one song to represent the entire album as the title song. It is understandable. But what about the one that means the most to you on this album? Which one would it be?”

 

“Black.” The answer came out before he had time to think. Truthfully, he had never thought of this question.

 

“Ah, the one featuring Park Bom?” Leetuk eagerly asked. “Why is that? Is it because of the chance to work with Miss Park?”

 

“Oh no. Working with Bom noona was exhausting, I’d rather not think about that part.” He laughed, and the audience joined him, mostly in relief and assurance that G-Dragon had denied the romantic linking to Park Bom. Ever since his debut, G-Dragon has been linked to various female stars. Because Park Bom was under the same agency as him, YG Entertainment, some rumors went around that the two were more than friends, saying that they had known each other before neither had debuted. The dating rumors spread like wildfire after “Black” was released, as Park Bom was the only artist featuring in any of G-Dragon’s released songs. “I think it means a lot to me because it was written at a time when everything in my life was going wrong. I couldn’t find my direction, I was depressed, and it was like I hit rock bottom. It is one of the few songs I wrote that are not upbeat and loud, but simply displaying my raw, exposed emotions in a calm way.” Little did he know back then that the worst has yet to come.

 

Nodding in agreement, Leetuk commented, “’Black’ was one of my personal favorites on this album as well. However, the song that grabbed my attention the most was ‘Butterfly’. Everything from its mellow and peaceful melody to easygoing lyrics are a huge contrast to most of your works.”

 

“I wrote ‘Butterfly’ during the happiest moment of my life.” Jiyong was silent for a moment as the memory left a bittersweet taste in his mouth. Even though he had agreed to his manager’s suggestion to open up more about his thoughts and feelings concerning his music, there was always that boundary that he was wary to cross. It was okay to immerse in those feelings and memories when working on songs, but saying them out loud was completely different. It was like admitting how much effect they had on him. “I always think that the mood of the songwriter are reflected directly in the songs they make.”

 

“Unfortunately, time’s up for this interview. I would like to congratulate G-Dragon-sshi once again on the success of his first album, and I hear that a second one will be coming out soon!”

 

“Yes, after I finish my world tour, which ends in Seoul this month, I will be back in the studio to work on more music that hopefully will bring my fans an entirely new and interesting concept.” Again, a modest nod but no smile. Watching from the monitor backstage with other staff members from YG Entertainment to support Jiyong, Chaerin sighed audibly as her eyes lingered on Jiyong. He has finally achieved his dream, but he does not even seem happy about it. Even if he was happy, not a trace of it was shown from his emotionless face.

 

“And I hope to see you then! For now, let’s enjoy the live performance of ‘Heartbreaker’ from G-Dragon!”

 

 

 

“How are the preparations for the concert coming along?” Chaerin asked as she slid into the seat facing Jiyong. The long blonde hair of hers were wild and messy by nature, perfected with her heavy make-up. She did not seem any less ier than any of the club-goers downstairs, wearing a white knitted crop top that showed off her belly button ring and denim shorts. They were in one of the private VIP booths in YG Club, overlooking the crowded dancefloor packed with people grooving to the sick beat of the speakers. A lot has changed over the last few years. Business at YG Hotel and YG Club has been so successful that Jinu and Sean decided to venture into the entertainment business, therefore establishing YG Entertainment. Tablo had started managing the small company, but with the great debuts of Park Bom and G-Dragon, the small entertainment blew the K-pop industry by storm, quickly taking over music charts and making a name for itself. Not only did they have well-known singers, but the producers and trainees under the label has increased by quality and quantity.

 

Jiyong did not give any signs that he heard what Chaerin said, eyes concentrating on the glisten of the glass of red wine in his hands. He had taken off most of his accessories and changed out of the outfit he wore for the interview, yet he still had the air of a celebrity.

 

“Are you even listening to me?” A hint of annoyance colored Chaerin’s voice. She crossed her legs, positioning herself so that she was right in front of Jiyong. “By the way, you have to confirm the guests you’re inviting to the Seoul concert. The staff wanted to double-check and finalize your list. Is there anyone else you want to invite?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter