Nine

Mine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Credits go to kurogane, for this amazing poster.


Tarot Card Meanings

(as found in : http://www.paranormality.com/tarot_meanings.shtml)

Temperance:

Harmony and balance.
Conflicting interests. A sign to start fixing things before it gets too far out of balance.

The Hierophant:

A seeker after knowledge and freedom.
Poor counsel, slander, distorting of truths.

[Nine. Temperance and The Hierophant]

 

“Kwon Jiyong!” Dara pushed Jiyong away harshly, and he stumbled backwards in half-disbelief. “Stop it! This is completely madness! What are you even doing?”

 

“Jagi-“

 

“Noona!” She was on the verge of tears. This was not something in her control anymore, and she felt powerless to respond confidently to anything. How could she have been so careless to let...that...happen? Up until now, it felt like a game, like a tug-of-war with a pet puppy or maybe even harmless flirting with a stranger. But now, reality made it clear that this was getting out of hand. She felt battered, confused, and lost...she needs some time to think, some time to herself to process all of this. Somewhere far, far away from Jiyong.

 

“Noona, wait!” Jiyong shouted as Dara sprinted out of the room. She did not look back, nor did she stop to see all of the curious students that paused in what they were doing to watch the odd scene playing out in front of them. On the other hand, Jiyong was dodging the crowds of students pouring out of classrooms. Damn! It was lunch break, and he was beginning to lose sight of Dara’s pretty wavy hair. Already, he was starting to regret what he had done earlier. It was a wrong move, like most of his actions that had pissed Dara off. Exasperated, he shoved the people out of his way as he tried to fight his way in the direction where he last spotted Dara. Every night, as he lay wide awake on his bed thinking that Dara was just inches away from him, he would go through various plans to get Dara to fall in love with his charms in his head, but every time he’s in her sight, the previous preparations would disappear into thin air, and he would screw up.

 

He had everything mapped out, almost had her wrapped around his fingers. Dara cannot believe that she had actually, even for a millisecond, fell victim so easily to his alluring charms. How could I give in so easily to what he wants? It was as if he had casted a spell that was slowly working against her will, a poison that was taking effect on her body. Letting him act like a child clinging on to her was fine, but letting him kiss her? Good thing he was not crazy enough to do that in front of the entire student body, or else it will be everywhere, and when Dongwook comes back, he may hear of it as well. Sandara Park, you are screwed as hell, she blamed herself furiously as she ran up the bleachers that overlooked the huge football stadium. Face flushed pink after such a sprint, Dara sat down dizzily at the top, feeling worn out emotionally and physically.

 

What does he want with me? What am I to him? Dara buried her face in her palms, groaning in frustration while these questions chased each other inside her head. It was clear he does not see her as his noona. That was obvious, a fact that she had tried hard to ignore from before. What puzzles Dara the most is why Jiyong is so stubborn in believing that he is truly in love with her. How can he be in love with me if he does not even know me! The worst part is not how Jiyong feels about her, but how she feels about him. No! Dara shook her hand subconsciously, as if trying to shake the thought out of her head. She refused to let her explore that thought any further. It was dangerous.

 

Not as dangerous as pretending it’s not there when it is, a voice inside her mind sneered meanly. Since when were you such a coward?

 

Ever since she met Kwon Jiyong. That was how she began to feel uneasy and queasy all the time, unsure of what drama he will try to stir up next. The unfamiliar feeling of not being control throws her off balance, yet at the same time, it makes her heart race excitedly and fuels her adrenaline. She cannot deny that. Everything about Kwon Jiyong, his cunningness, his cheekiness, his unexpected actions, his dark side, his kiss...

 

God, Dara, don’t you go there, she commanded herself. It was the line she must not cross.

 

“So...what brings you here?”

 

Gasping in surprise, Dara turned, expecting to see Jiyong, but instead found Choi Seunghyun sitting next to her on the bleacher instead. She did not pay attention before earlier, but now, looking at him close-up, Seunghyun was really handsome. His hair glistened in the strong afternoon sun, almost making it unbearable to look at him directly. Wearing a sleek azure dress shirt buttoned down neatly that was tapered to show off his masculine body and simple dark jeans, he looked...great. Even more perfect, his eyes were studying Dara closely, two pools of mysterious and soulful substance that seemed to be focused on her alone. Neither of them said a word, and Dara suddenly felt self-conscious that the silence was awkward. It was one thing to chat with him via texting, but another when face-to-face and alone. Now she can relate to his fan girls that are both awed and intimidated by his presence. Seunghyun has the air of a deity, flawless and unearthly. “Seunghyun. Why are you here?”

 

“I went to the infirmary to check on you, but the nurse said you did not go there.” Shivering slightly though the sunlight was warm and comfortable to her liking, Dara felt that his tone indicated that he knew something more, but he did not elaborate. Laughing lightly, Dara turned her sight back to the fields, which were a beautiful and healthy green.

 

“Is that so? I should be flattered that the legendary Choi Seunghyun came to check on me.” The wind and sunshine kissed Dara’s cheeks, and she closed her eyes, enjoying basking in the moment. She felt so close to nature, and so far away from her problems. “I'm fine. It was the cupcake that got most of the damage, not me.”

 

“Kwon Jiyong looked very worried.”

 

Dara’s eyes opened immediately, zooming in on Seunghyun’s face void of expression. Instinct told her everything: he knew.

 

“He’s...very attached to me.” Dara looked up at the cloudless azure sky, raising one of her arms to block the sun out of her eyes. “He’s the only child, and I’m practically the next best thing to a sister for him.” It was not false. He is very attached to her, he is the only child, and everyone does consider her his noona, his sister.

 

“Yes, I heard about the wedding between his father and your aunt,” Seunghyun stated cordially. “Do give them my sincere congratulations.”

 

“I will, after they come home from their honeymoon.”

 

The silence enveloped them for a while, then Seunghyun took the initiative to break it. “Sandara?” Waiting for him to continue, Dara raised her eyebrows. “It may not be my place to say this, but-“ Seunghyun stood up, straightening his shirt. “- it would be best if you would prevent the crush Kwon Jiyong has on you from developing further.” Dara froze. He knew everything. “It may sound cruel, but as the more responsible of the two, you ought to do something that would stop it, as it seems as if he does not plan on controlling himself anytime soon. At the end, it would only hurt everyone.” He turned to leave. “Goodbye, Sandara. See you around.”

 

“Wait, Seunghyun!” Dara desperately called out, and he stopped in his tracks. “How did you-“ Taking a deep breath to stop herself from sounding as helpless as she did, Dara realized that it was useless to ask him how he knew. A lot of Seoul University students already witnessed Jiyong’s crazy puppy love for her before Byul and Dongwook married, including Seunghyun. If they did not know the relations of Dara with their principal, Dongwook, they would never have guessed that they were not romantically involved, but were living under the same roof as step-cousins. Seunghyun was right. This madness has got to stop before the whole world finds out that Jiyong was smitten with someone that was supposed to be his cousin, and she has to be the one to do it.

 

“How about we talk after school ends? I have to head to class soon.” Seunghyun suggested lightly, a hint of a gentle smile on his face. “I’ll drive us to a café near the university.” Dara nodded absentmindedly, watching Seunghyun leave. Before she could let what happened between her and Seunghyun fully sink in, her phone rang. It was Bom.

 

“Sandara! Where have you and lover boy disappeared to?” Bom giggled on the other line. Before Dara could retort, she continued. “Sorry sorry, knew I should have not interrupted whatever was going on, but it’s urgent. I bumped into Professor Yang, and he told me to tell me ASAP that he wants to talk to you. It is so, so important, and he had already spoken with Professor Lydia Paek to let her know that you will be in his office, and will not attend to her class today.”

 

“What?” Dara furrowed her eyebrows, scrambling to her feet at once. This did not happen often. “What did he want?”

 

“I have no idea. If I did, I would have told you now, right? Now, go! Quickly, quickly! Talk to you later, you’re a dear!” With that, Bom hung up.

 

Curious, Dara decided to see for herself as she found herself walk back to the music department. It was already class, and there was no one in sight. However, like the night she went to YG Club, she felt her “private bubble” getting invaded, but even as she turned around quickly to check, there wasn’t a soul in the empty hallways. Huh. Deciding not to pay attention to it, Dara continued towards Professor Yang’s office. Hoping it was not about the late assignment she had handed in last time, courtesy of Jiyong, she let her expression become calm and void of emotions as she turned the doorknob. Even if it was about the late assignment, she must be prepared for whatever dissatisfaction Professor Yang may state, appear sturdy and unshaken, but with the proper amount of respect she should give. She was Sandara Park, after all. Sandara Park was firmly in control, and the queen of perfection. The previous insecurity from Jiyong’s kiss evaporated, replaced with her usual confidence.

 

Two things that hit her immediately were the pleasant sounds of a reggae record being played and the faint but recognizable smell of tea. Jasmine tea, to be exact. Reggae record, very Professor Yang, but jasmine tea? Dara wrinkled her nose in confusion as she double-checked the name plate. Prof. Ya

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter