Chapter Seven

Captured

Hae was chewing on some bread as he watched the ocean. His other hand was in his pocket, playing with the necklace he had put there in fear of it being taken away.

'You think he's coming to save you, don't you?' Hyuk mocked.

'W-what?' Hae was torn out of his daydream.

'That jack wouldn't save his own mother.' Kyu mumbled.

'Siwon. You think as soon as he hears his bride is captured, he'll come to the rescue.' Hyuk repeated.

Hae frowned. 'I...am...male. I...have....a.....' He slowly articulated.

Hyuk blinked. Kyu hugged their captive in pure amusement. 'God, I love you. It's never boring around you.' Kyu uttered as he went for another laughing fit.

'Of course I know you are male.' Hyuk exploded. 'It's meant as an insult.'

'Well it sounds retarded.' Hae said underneath his breath.

Kyu froze. He slowly unwrapped his arms from Hae and took some steps back. 'It was nice knowing you.'

Hae couldn't process those words fast enough as he was being punched hard, lost his balance and fell to the ground.

'Watch your tongue, you vermin.' Hyuk shouted.

Hae slowly wiped the blood off his lip as he looked up in shock at the infuriated pirate. He saw Hyuk's foot nearing his stomach and rolled over so it kicked his back. He made himself as small as possible and waited for the next blow. It never came.

'He's strutted out of here, can you get up?' Kyu asked, not really making any effort to help.

'Y-yeah, thanks.' Hae said, still shocked by the outburst.

'Why did you only eat half of your portion?' Kyu suddenly asked.

Hae blushed as he had been caught in saving up his food. 'I don't know if you'll keep feeding me and maybe Minho needs it.' He stared longingly at the water rocking against their ship.

Kyu remained silent for a bit. 'What are you thinking about?'

'Home.' Hae said softly.

'No use, you'll probably never see it again.' Kyu said carelessly. He frowned as he noticed the shoulders of the other were jerking. He pulled on one to be able to see Hae's face and gasped as he saw the sad eyes and the tears that were slowly but surely running down the boy's cheeks. Kyu felt uneasy. Life as a pirate had turned him rough and rude. He didn't know how to act in these kind of situations.

 

'My Lord, we received disturbing news.' Leeteuk said out of breath.

'What is it this time, Teuk?' Siwon sighed.

'Lee Donghae has been captured by pirates.' Leeteuk gave it to him straight.

Siwon's eyes widened for a second before he hid his emotions behind a well trained mask. 'I see.' He turned his back to the people in the room and faced a window. 'Is it...'

'Kim Heechul's crew.' Leeteuk confirmed.

Siwon closed his eyes. Hyukjae.

'Any orders, sir?'

'None.'

'Sir?' Leeteuk frowned.

Siwon turned around and looked his friend in the eye. He put his hands on the man's shoulders. 'Teukie, I'll have to do this alone.'

'But...'

'That's an order, my good man.' Siwon ended the discussion.

Leeteuk stared at Siwon's tense back. He ordered everyone to leave the room and was about to do the same.

'Are my men okay?' Siwon suddenly asked.

'Some casualties and the ship was burnt down, but it could have been worse.' Teuk responded.

Siwon paused for a second. 'Kangin?'

'He's fine, he's the one that reported it.' Leeteuk smiled, knowing Siwon couldn't show this caring side to others.

 

It was after sunset when Hae stumbled back to his holding cell.

Minho saw the split lip and wanted to yell but his eyes fell upon the pirate accompanying Hae. Kyu slowly shook his head. Minho shut up, sensing that was the best thing to do.

Kyu placed Hae in his cell but didn't bother chaining him. Hae sat down as close to Minho as he could. He rested his hand on his arm and watched his best friend.

'Have you eaten enough?' Hae inquired.

Minho nodded. Then he looked at Kyu. 'Please release my chains.'

Kyu hesitated but understood. He quickly did it. 'Try something and you're dead.' He uttered.

As soon as Minho was freed he went to the side adjacent to Hae's cell. He laid himself down and put his arms through the bars. Hae scooted over a bit and as soon as he felt those familiar hands around him, he fell asleep.

Kyu watched the interaction. He saw the concern on Minho's face. He saw the tenderness in his touch. 'Are you two....together?' Kyu asked.

A small smile graced Minho's lips. 'Not like you are insinuating. He's my best friend. We grew up together. We are closer than brothers.'

'You'd die for him.' Kyu stated.

'In a heart beat.'

Kyu nodded.

'The redhead busted his lip, right?' Minho suddenly asked.

Kyu remained silent.

'You know, if we come out of this alive, it won't be that bad. I never liked the idea of Hae marrying that king.' Minho confessed.

'So you realise that the king won't have any interest in the boy now.' Kyu said.

'Yes, but I doubt Hae does.'

'You should rest, tomorrow we expect you to work as well.'

Minho nodded and pulled Hae as close as possible, not caring that the bars pressed all over his body.