Chapter 20

I Like You More (Than You Like Me)

Short-ish update, but it's something.

Is anyone even reading this?


The boys woke up that morning to the sound of Sungjae’s ringtone.

It was the sound of an old car horn. It the most obnoxious ringtone you could ever imagine. “Aish, would you pick it up already!?” Changseob said plugging his ears with his fingers. Sungjae was still asleep. That maknae had the circadian rhythm of a baby. It wasn’t until Peniel slapped him on the . Sungjae finally got up and answered his phone with his eyes still closed.

“Hello?” All of a sudden a voice screamed on the other line. Sungjae pulled his phone away from his ear to keep his eardrums from shattering. Her deafening voice could be heard by everyone in the room.

“OPPAAA! COME TO THE COMPANY BUILDING NOWWW!” she cried.

“Okay, okay. Calm down. I’ll be there.”

“HURRY!!!!” Sungjae hung up on her and buried his face on his pillow.

“What does Hayoung want now?” Eunkwang asked.

“Who cares? I just want to sleep.”

“You better get there before she calls again,” Peniel said slapping his .

Sungjae whined, “Five minutes!”

After Sungjae’s phone went off again, he jumped out of bed and walked to the Cube building in pajamas.

 

Sungjae met up with Hayoung in the CEO’s (Hong Seungsong) office.

“Oppa, you made it!”

“What’s going on?”

“Well, you see,” Mr. Hong began.

“He’s cutting me from our routine!” Hayoung cried cutting off the CEO. “I’m being REPLACED! Can you believe it!?! I tried explaining to him how much we practiced but he won’t change his mind! DO SOMETHING SUNGJAE OPPA!!!” She held onto Sungjae’s arm, begging him to save the day. It was silent for a moment. She looked up guiltily and bowed after realizing she totally lost her chances now for disrespecting the CEO.

“As I was saying,” Mr. Hong began clearing his throat. “Actually, everything she said was true.”

“Wait, why are you cutting her from the song?” Sungjae asked, though he was pretty relieved he didn’t have to perform with her on stage anymore.

“I’m sure you are very familiar with Snow’s maknae Nam Subin.”

The sound of her name took Sungjae by surprise. “Yes, very. What about Subin?”

“You’re replacing me with Subin?!” Hayoung gasped.

Mr. Hong continued. “In order to make it fair for everyone to have a chance to perform at our first U.S. tour, I was thinking we can replace Hayoung with an injured member.”

“But why? This is supposed to be our song! Tell him Sungjae!” Hayoung cried.

“Because all she has to do is sit on the bench and smile. I’m sure she’ll be capable of doing that with a broken leg.”

“I think that’s a great idea!” Sungjae was thrilled by this in several ways. For one, she’ll have a chance to perform at the concert, two, she will be on performing on stage with just him, and three, no more Hayoung!

“So what will Hayoung do? Dance with Ilhoon?”

“No, he wouldn’t even let me dance Trouble Maker with Ilhoon because I’m too tall for him,” Hayoung pouted. “I have to do a dance with Bomi and Naeun. How boring.”

“Now now, don’t complain. There’s always next year,” Mr. Hong said. Hayoung flipped her hair and stomped out the door. Sungjae was full of excitement. The concert was in a few days which meant he and Subin had to practice as soon as possible.

Sungjae shook the CEO’s hand before heading out the door and looking for Subin.

~

Subin was so bored.

She didn’t enjoy sitting in the corner watching her members practice dances over and over again. Having a broken leg . She reached for her bag and took a banana out. She didn’t like the diet she gave her either. She was craving fries and cheeseburgers. She couldn’t wait to go to New York and binge out. She was thinking about getting away with it since she was in crutches.

The girls took a five minute water break. Subin was still left sitting in the corner working on Sudoku puzzles. Their attention shifted when they heard a knock on the door. Subin looked up and noticed Sungjae standing by the door.

“Sungjae!” The girls called out.

“Hey, is Subin here?” Subin’s heart sank when she heard her name. She quickly fixed her hair and wiped her face before waving at him.

“I’m down here,” she called out.

Sungjae smiled when he saw her sitting in the corner, away from everyone else. As he walked toward her, Subin noticed he was still in his pajamas. “How’s it going?” Sungjae asked squatting down.

“All right. Nice PJs.” Subin giggled. Sungjae just lost his cool right there. He forgot he just rolled out of bed to get here, not even brushing his teeth either. “What brings you here?” Subin asked.

“Oh, just came here to say hi. I need to talk to you later when I look better.”

Subin giggled again. “Okay.”

Subin’s smile brightened up Sungjae’s day even more. He didn’t even realize how fast his heart was beating after hearing her sweet voice. He didn’t want to leave her sight, but he smelled like poop. Sungjae got up and headed toward the door, but then twirled back around. “Hey, actually. Do you wanna have some lunch later on?” Sungjae couldn’t believe he was actually doing this. He had guts today!

Subin was bewildered by his question that she forgot how to form a complete sentence. “W-with you?”

“Yeah, just the two of us.”

“Okay. Yes.” Subin bit her lip. She didn’t know it but her members were squealing for her, watching from a distance.

“Great! I’ll see you later!”

Subin couldn’t stop smiling. If she didn’t have a cast on her leg, she would’ve jumped in happiness. Her dreams were finally becoming a reality.


Comment below so I'll have the motivation the finish this story cuz seriously right now I'm making it up for the rest of the way.

UPDATE (6/20) - I was thinking: Actually, I think this may be the last chapter (hehe) but don't worry, I'll try to add in an epilouge / bonus ending whatever you wanna call it.

Thanks :)