Locker

And Then You Came Along

 

Sojin's POV
 
It did amaze me how the teachers could be so oblivious to how I got treated. Everytime Mr. Kwon turned around to write something on the whiteboard, I got paperballs thrown at me, but it stopped as soon as he turned back around. Atleast twice, his gaze lingered at me and the floor around me, covered with crumbled paper, but he never said anything. The only thing I could do was to sit there and endure the lesson, biting my lip so hard I started to bleed. When the lesson ended, I slowly got up from my seat, on my way to leave, when Mr. Kwon stopped me.
 
"Ms. Jung, could you please clean up the mess around your desk?" he asked me, not looking up from his paper work.
 
I couldn't do other but to do what I was told. Even though the tears burned under my eyelids, I forced them back. Get through today, get through tomorrow.
 
Minhyuk's POV
 
I was sitting, listening to the teacher's lecture, when there was one silent knock on the door. Everyone, out of reflex, looked at the door, and to my surprise, it was Sojin who stood there when the teacher opened. She had her head bent down, but I could tell it was her from her posture. 
 
"Late, Ms. Jung?" the teacher asked disapproving, closing the door behind her.
 
I heard giggles around the classroom, and I looked around to see who it was who found the situation funny. To my shock, there was atleast ten persons who sat and grinned at her humiliation. I looked back at her.
 
"I'm sorry", she mumbled.
 
"Very well. But only for this time. Now go to your seat", the teacher told her.
 
She did as she was told, never looking up from the floor. For some reason, she tripped when she was in the middle of the classroom, so all of her books flew out of her arms, hitting the floor with loud bangs. Once again, the giggling could be heard. The teacher sighed, as if he was annoyed, but didn't say anything. Sojin began to hurriedly collect her things, before she got up. Her cheeks had gotten red, and she almost ran to her seat, in the back of the classroom. I looked after her, getting more and more confused. Ilhoon had said that she was an outsider. So why was she getting so much from everyone? 
 
As soon as the lesson ended, everyone quickly got up and left the room, but I noticed that Sojin waited, slowly packing her things up. I got up myself from my desk and walked up to her.
 
"Hi!" I said, making her jump in startlement.
 
She stared at me with round eyes, before her cheeks got red again and she looked down at her desk. She mumbled something that I guessed was hello.
 
"Are you okay? It looked like a hard fall", I asked.
 
She nodded shortly and got up from her seat, carefully swinging her bag over her shoulder. I moved so she could pass, and then followed her out of the classroom.
 
"What do you have now?" I asked, not giving up.
 
She shrugged, looking down at the floor. I noticed several students staring at us as we walked down the hall. I followed her all the way to her locker, not caring whether I would be late or not. Once again, I noticed that it was something on her locker. I moved around her, so I could see better.
 
                                                                   Loser
                                                               Ugly
                                              Nobody
                                                          Die
 
It felt like my heart turned into a rock in my chest. It was different handwriting for each word, so it couldn't be Sojin herself who'd carved it in.
 
"Who did this?" I asked slowly.
 
Sojin turned her head to look at me, and then her eyes darted to the words.
 
"Oh-uhm... No one", she stuttered, trying to close her locker.
 
I took a grip around it, making it impossible for her weak arms to move it. I looked at her with a serious expression. She looked back at me, with something in her eyes I couldn't call other than... fear. She was scared.
 
"Why did someone carve this in your locker?" I asked her slowly, looking into her eyes.
 
"They were here when I got it", she said quietly, and I could see it in her eyes that she was desperate.
 
I stared her down for a moment, before I sighed and dropped my hand from the locker. It wasn't really none of my business, but it angred me that someone got treated so badly. I let it go, but it still bothered me. Especially the words "DIE" and "UGLY". Who were they to take her life from her? And the fact that they called her ugly... it made me so... pissed. Did anyone on the whole school even talk to her besides me? I doubted it. She quickly shut her locker and looked around nervously.
 
"What do you have?" I asked her, trying to get over the whole locker thing.
 
"History", she mumbled.
 
"Oh. Well, I have english... See you", I said, giving her a warm smile before I left.
 
To be honest, I didn't know what I had. I just needed her to leave her locker.