Careful

And Then You Came Along

 

Minhyuk's POV
 
The moment I saw her the next day, I knew that something had happened. Sojin's face was weirdly strained, and as she came up to me, she just hugged me tightly. No words was needed, and I just hugged her back. Her grip was really hard, and she buried her face in my chest, and I felt something similar to guilt form in my stomach. Maybe I shouldn't have given up so easily the day before, letting her go.
 
"Are you okay?" I asked when she took a step back.
 
She nodded and gave me a tired smile, and I frowned at the answer.
 
"Yeah, I'm fine. Just a little... tired", she answered.
 
"You sure?" I asked, trying hard to not sound disbelieving.
 
"Yes. But... Can I ask for a favor?" she asked, taking one of my hands.
 
"Always", I answered quickly. 
 
She smiled at my fast reply. 
 
"My brother is leaving today, and I... only if you want, I wondered if you could come with me? I don't..." she said, looking down at the ground.
 
A smile appeared on my own lips, and I bent my head down so I could look at her.
 
"Of course", I answered.
 
She smiled brightly at me, but before we could say anything else, Ilhoon's voice interrupted.
 
"Don't do those kind of things here!" he yelled.
 
Both of us looked at the direction his voice had come from, to see him come walking down the street. He grinned at us, and I had to smile back at him.
 
Sojin's hand was gripping mine tightly as we were walking to the train station. I didn't know if it was because of nervousness or something else, but I pressed her hand to soothe her. I myself was weirdly calm. Since I would meet Sojin's mom for the second time, and the first time hadn't been under very nice circumstances, I should be atleast a litte on edge. But I wasn't. 
 
When we arrived there, it took a moment before Dongsun actually came. He came with a taxi, with his mom. He nodded as a greeting, and I nodded back at him. He gave mine and Sojin's hands a look, before he took out his bags out of the car. Their mom just stood there, her expression blank. Sojin hadn't really told me anything about her, but something gave me the feeling that she was just as scarred as her daughter. 
 
When Dongsung had all of his bags in order, Sojin walked up to him to say goodbye. I pulled my hands down my pockets and watched as the two of the exchanged words before they hugged. Their mom was also watching from the side, and I guessed that she'd said her goodbyes before they got in the taxi. When the two siblings released each other, Sojin walked back to me, smiling at me as a sign that it had gone well. She held her hand out for me to take, and I did. 
 
"Minhyuk? Could I talk to you for a moment?" Dongsung suddenly called.
 
Both me and Sojin turned to look at him. He had a smile on his lips, but his eyes were serious. I nodded slowly, and released Sojin's hand. I walked up to him, and threw one glance over my shoulder to see how Sojin had reacted. She looked worried, so I gave her a reassuring smile, before I faced her brother. He was looking at his sister, his expression grave. 
 
"I actually just want one thing", he said, still not looking at me. "And that is that you promise me to be careful."
 
The demand was not what I was expecting. He turned his gaze to me and waited for me to answer.
 
"And with careful you mean?" I asked.
 
"That you think before you do something. Even if I haven't seen the two of you together a lot, I can see how much Sojin relies on you. And if you do something wrong, I'm not sure if she'll be able to take it", he said, a concerned wrinkle appearing between his eyebrows.
 
"I would never do anything to hurt her", I said stiffly.
 
"Not on purpose. That she trusts you completely isn't exactly hard to see, and you can't misuse that. Do you promise me that you'll keep her safe?" he asked.
 
I looked at him for a moment, before I nodded. He held out a hand and I took it. We shook hands on it, and then he smiled at me, with a mix of relief and contentment.
 
"Good. It was nice to meet you, Minhyuk. And thanks for everything", he said, taking up his bags from the ground.
 
"You too", I replied, giving him a small smile.
 
He nodded once and then looked over my shoulder to give his sister a smile. I turned around, and gave her a reassuring smile too, as I walked towards her. She gave me a nervous smile and shifted her weight between her feet. As soon as I was in reach, she took my hand. 
 
Sojin's POV
 
We stood there until the train left. We waved Dongsung off, and then I turned to Minhyuk. He raised his eyebrows and smiled down at me, but I just looked at him.
 
"What?" he asked.
 
"What did Dongsung say to you?" I asked suspiciously.
 
The question brought a smug smile to Minhyuk's face.
 
"You'd really like to know, wouldn't you?" he asked teasingly.
 
I frowned at his answer, and he raised a hand to my cheek. 
 
"Seriously", I said.
 
He shook his head, a small smile playing in the corners of his mouth. 
 
"It's not something that you have to worry about", he said, pulling away some hair from my face.
 
I looked at him for a moment before I nodded in understanding. If he didn't want to, he didn't have to tell me.