First Meeting

And Then You Came Along

 

Minhyuk's POV
 
My steps were heavy and angry as I entered the school the following day. People immediatly started whispering, but fell silent as I shot angry glares at them. To say that I was no in a good mood was not enough.
 
As I was standing at my locker, a familiar voice called my voice. I looked up just in time to see Hyunsik and Ilhoon come running up to me, both looking worried.
 
"Is she okay?" Hyunsik asked, clearly talking about Sojin.
 
"Define the word 'okay'", I answered bitterly. 
 
"She's alive?" Ilhoon asked, alot more stressed up than Hyunsik.
 
"Yes. She's alive", I answered.
 
He let out a relieved sigh, and leaned against the locker next to mine. I slammed my own shut, and started to walk. Hyunsik quickly caught up with me, while Ilhoon came a little after.
 
"How long will she be in the hospital?" Hyunsik asked quietly.
 
"Don't know. But she probably won't come back for a while", I answered, my gaze focused on the floor. 
 
I bit my lip, wondering if I should ask or not, but decided that I couldn't keep it inside any longer.
 
"What happened to... them?" I asked. 
 
"They went to the principal's office. And their parents came here, I don't know more than that."
 
Wow. They got to go to the principal's office. What a punishment. 
 
When we were in the cafeteria, I only poked my food. I had no apetite what so ever, and my mind travelled to Sojin. What she was doing, how she was feeling and what she was thinking. I wanted to know everything, and that was why it was so frustrating for me that she refused to admit that she wasn't okay. The people that caused her all that pain hadn't been seen by me or any of my friends, so I guessed that they weren't there.
 
All around the table, they glanced nervously at me every few seconds, like I was going to snap any second. Not that it wasn't possible, but it was a bit annoying to have the knowledge that six pairs of eyes was watching me. 
 
Just when I was about to get up and leave, I felt a light hand on my shoulder. I jerked away, and turned around to see a girl look at me with a mix of worry and regret.
 
"I-I... I just wanted to ask if Sojin's okay", she said quietly.
 
I stared at her, trying to place her. I'd never talked to her, but she looked vaguely familiar. She shifted nervously between her feet, as she waited for me to say something.
 
"Who are you?" I asked, narrowing my eyes.
 
"Sunny. I've got math class with Sojin", she explained quickly.
 
I frowned and got up from my seat, taking my tray. Sunny took a step back to give me space, and I could feel the watching eyes in my back.
 
"She's okay. Even though she's been through so much... ", I answered coldly, giving the girl a meaningful look.
 
I was mad at everyone for not stepping up. Including myself. Sunny bent her head down, and nodded. Without a second glance, I walked away from the scene. 
 
Sojin's POV
 
My head was spinning around, and I felt like I was going to throw up. The news of my parents separation was a bit shocking, even though I knew they fought alot. I felt guilty, because it was obvious that it was my visit to the hospital that'd been the main reason for their decision. Dongsung was sitting in a chair, sleeping, as mom was with dad to talk things over. My brother had decided to stay for a couple of days, until I got back home again, just to keep me company. I had a feeling it was to ease the guilt too, but I didn't object. It would be nice to have him around so I wouldn't have to be alone with our parents.
 
As if it wasn't enough with the fact that I was getting a nervous break down over my parents divorce, I couldn't stop thinking over what would happen when I got back to school. Mom had tried to convince me to sue them, but I didn't want to cause more trouble. Things would be weird, but it gave me comfort to know that Minhyuk would be there to help me. I smiled at the thought and looked out the window. There wasn't too much to see, but I could see the sky, and that was all I needed to get by.
 
Dongsung's POV
 
When I woke up from my nap, it was my sister who was sleeping. I smiled slightly at the sight, relieved that she looked better than the day before. Her nose wasn't as swollen, but that also made the skewness more obvious. Well, at least she was alive. The thought brought a grim smile to my face, and the guilt made itself remembered. 
 
After just sitting there a few minutes and watch her sleep, the door opened and a guy that looked like he was around Sojin's age came in. I sat up straighter, and the two of us locked eyes, trying to see what the other was for some kind of person.
 
"You're Sojin's brother?" the guy asked, closing the door after him.
 
"Yes. And you are?" I asked suspiciously.
 
"Lee Minhyuk. Also known as the guy who helped your sister", he introduced himself, holding out a hand.
 
"Oh", I said, taking his hand.
 
We shook hands, and he sat down in a chair next to mine. A few awkward minutes passed before I cleared my throat to get his attention. He turned his head and looked at me.
 
"Do you... When did you two become friends?" I asked, not letting my sister go with my eyes.
 
"When I moved here. It's kind of recently, but I know her pretty good by now", he answered, his voice turning soft.
 
His change of tone made me look at him, and found him smiling a little too himself. He noticed that I was looking at him, and met my eyes. Sojin hadn't mentioned him. But then again, why would she say anything to someone who's not really listening?
 
"Thank you", I said, keeping his eyes locked to mine. "For doing this. I don't even want to know what would've happened if you hadn't..."
 
I trailed off, not able to finish the sentence. Minhyuk's expression turned hard, and he looked away.
 
"Yeah, atleast someone noticed", he said grimly.
 
I flinched at his words, but I didn't protest. It was true. It got quiet again, both of us looking at the girl infront of us.
 
"Didn't you see that she wasn't okay? That something was up?" Minhyuk suddenly asked, breaking the silence.
 
I snorted, a bitter smile forming on my lips.
 
"Of course I did. But I don't live at home anymore, and I kept telling myself that I was just imagining things. Poor excuses, I know, but it's the bitter truth", I said, dropping my gaze to my hands.
 
"Yeah. That is pretty bad excuses", he agreed.
 
I chuckled quietly, and then took a deep breath. The kid was alright.
 
"But she didn't tell you?" he asked, and I noticed that he was pretty bothered with the situation.
 
It surprised me, not only because he was a complete stanger to me, but because he cared so much. It made me feel even more guilty, knowing that this guy, that just met Sojin, had done more for her in only a few weeks than I ever did.
 
"No. She never mentioned that it was so... hard in school. But our world looks different compared to yours. It's alot more important with pride and power than with love and compassion", I answered.
 
"That's messed up."
 
"Yeah."
 
"I know that this isn't really any of my business, but I have to ask... What's the deal with your parents?" 
 
I looked at him, and he stared back with expectation. I let out a quiet sigh and leaned back in my chair.
 
"Our dad's obsessed with money and his job, forgetting about his actual family. I get attention because I'm a boy, and therefor have better conditions, compared to Sojin, who's a girl. In his eyes, and many other's, girls aren't as good as boys. So he pushed her away. And our mom... Honestly, I don't know. She's gotten more insensitive with the years, and I guess that has to do with our dad's sick view on the women, but it's more to that. She's also born into the higher society, so she knew how this world looked when she married dad. But I think that she tried to raise Sojin to become independent and strong, make her into more than our dad thought she could be. But it obviously didn't go as planned."
 
My answer was long, but it didn't really cover everything. The quiet wars at home, the fact that mom ate pills in secret. She didn't think that anyone noticed, but I had. What it was for, I didn't know, and I didn't want to either.
 
"Not to be rude or anything, but your family is kind of..." Minhyuk said, not finding the right words.
 
"Messed up? I know", I answered.
 
We both chuckled quietly, and then fell silent again. To actually say those words out loud felt weird, but in a good way. The perfect picture of our family was blown, and it felt nice. Very nice.