A Chain, To Remember

And Then You Came Along

 

Sojin's POV
 
The days passed, all too fast. No one mentioned what was waiting, but it was still there, in my mind, every second of the day. And when five days remained, me and Minhyuk decided to go somewhere. Just the two of us, taking care of the little time we had left.
 
"You're really quiet", he said as we walked down the street.
 
"I'm just... I have a lot to think about", I replied.
 
To be honest, I felt guilty. The moment we begun to walk from my apartment, I noticed how tired he looked. And worn out. I'd been so focused on feeling sorry for myself that I hadn't thought about what he was going through. It hadn't been very long since he first moved here, and then all then he met me that made his life much more complicated, and now he was moving away again.
 
"You're okay though?" Minhyuk asked, interrupting my thoughts.
 
"Me? I'm fine. But... Are you?"
 
I looked up at him hesitantly, and he stared back with surprise. The bags under his eyes were really visible in the sunlight.
 
"Why wouldn't I?" he asked.
 
"Because you look so tired. Have you slept properly?" I asked, pouring out my worry.
 
His eyebrows went up before he started to laugh. He covered his mouth and looked away, and I frowned at his reaction. Couldn't he see that I was serious?
 
"I'm sorry", he managed to get out.
 
I waited him out, and his laughter soon faded out. He took a deep breath and smiled apologetically at me.
 
"I'm sorry", he repeated. "It's just that you sounded just like my mom."
 
"Well, maybe there's a reason I did. Are you not sleeping well?" I asked.
 
He sighed and pulled his hand through his hair. "Not really. It's just a lot that goes through my mind that makes it hard to sleep. But don't worry, it will pass soon enough."
 
"Are you sure?"
 
He smiled and placed an arm around my shoulder and pulled me closer. "I'm really sure. C'mon, let's go in here."
 
He pointed towards a café, and I nodded. A small blush appeared on my cheeks from the close contact, and I forgot about his relocation for the first time. 
 
We just sat down and talked about absolutely nothing for the first twenty minutes. It felt nice that we could have a normal conversation for once. Even though underlying subjects were pushing to get through everytime we mentioned something about school or our families, we did our best to avoid them. 
 
"There's actually a reason I wanted to do something today", he suddenly said, leaning closer over the table.
 
"Oh?" I replied, a bit taken aback. 
 
"You're probably not going to like it at first, since you're you, but I gave this a lot of thought. And it's not only for you, but for me too."
 
I just looked at him as I waited for him to continue. He bit his lip and I saw how his hand moved under the table. When he brought it back up again, a small box was in his hand. I opened my mouth to disagree, but he just gave me a pleading look.
 
"This wasn't expensive, I swear", he said as he placed the box on the table between us and opened it.
 
It was just a simple chain, so thin that it looked like it would break. I furrowed my brows and looked up at him, and he smiled back.
 
"Not expensive. But it is valuable."
 
"Why are you..?" I asked, glancing at the chain.
 
"As a promise. I'm leaving, and I want something to remind you of me. To remember you that I'll be back", he answered.
 
I couldn't help but smile. He smiled back at me and took the chain between his fingers and leaned even closer to attach it around my neck. I could barely feel it against my skin, and I on it a little to make sure it was there. Minhyuk smiled happily and leaned back in his chair.
 
"It feels a little better now. Knowing that you have something to remember my by", he said.
 
"But how'll I know you're going to remember me?" I asked, not being able to hold my worry inside.
 
"Don't worry, I wouldn't be able to forget you even if I tried", he answered.
 
We looked at each other for a moment before I smiled. Something about the look in his eyes told me that he was being completely serious.