That Look

And Then You Came Along

 

Sojin's POV
 
The weeks seemed to pass faster than they'd done before. It was mainly because of Minhyuk, but also because of the changes that was happening outside school. Mom had gotten a job as the boss of a small store downtown, since she had a good education, which had resulted in us moving in to a real apartment instead of living in a hotel room. I still hadn't met dad, but I wasn't sure if I even wanted to. It was pretty obvious that he wasn't very keen on meeting me, so why should I bother? It was like I'd lost every single bit of patience with him and mom ever since I'd met Kyunwoo and Chahyo. It was still hard for me to walk down the hall in school without feeling vulnerable, but Minhyuk helped me. He didn't even realize how much he'd helped me. 
 
 
"Are you sure about this?" I asked while Minhyuk was tugging my hand.
 
"Yes. Everything will go just fine", he reassured me.
 
I started to walk hesitantly. 
 
"Just relax. You've met my dad already, and my mom's alright", he said.
 
"Yeah, but that was before..." I mumbled.
 
 Minhyuk turned to look at me with a determined expression. He understood what I ment with before, and he smiled at me when I frowned.
 
"I like you. That's enough for my parents", he said.
 
His words brought a small smile to my lips, but the worry was still there. I had no idea of how his parents felt about my whole situation, and I didn't want Minhyuk to be ashamed of me. 
 
"Plus, my dad already loves you", he continued.
 
That made me smile even more. I liked his dad.
 
It was the second time I stepped inside the doors of Minhyuk's house, and I was even more nervous than the first time.
 
"Mom! Dad!" Minhyuk called, as he closed the door behind us.
 
A woman appeared, and she stopped abruptly when she saw me. I felt the heat build up in my face, and I bowed quickly.
 
"Hi, I'm Sojin", I introduced myself quietly.
 
"Oh. You're Sojin", the woman, who I assumed was Minhyuk's mom, said, a little dumbfounded.
 
Before any more words could be exchanged, Minhyuk's dad came out, and he smiled happily when he saw me.
 
"I thought I heard your name", he said.
 
"Nice to see you, Mr. Lee", I smiled back, bowing a little.
 
"Well... This is... unexpected", Minhyuk's mom said, looking at her son.
 
"I thought you might want to meet each other, since dad already has", Minhyuk said, and I could actually hear him shrug.
 
"Well, come in", his dad invited us.
 
I looked at Minhyuk, who gave me an encouraging nod, and then followed his dad in to the living room. I gave his mom a small smile when I passed her, and she smiled stiffly back at me. The fact that she didn't seem too positive about my visit made me wonder if I should leave as quickly as possible. 
 
We sat in their living room for some time, and I listened quietly as they talked. Minhyuk's mom seemed to relax more and more as the time passed, but I could still see a tension in her eyes. Minhyuk didn't seem to notice that, he was too engrossed in a conversation with his father. The fact that all three of them seemed happy with their lives made me smile inwardly. It was such a contrast compared to what I was used to.
 
"I have to go to the bathroom. I'll be right back", Minhyuk suddenly said, and got up from his spot next to me.
 
I looked at him as he left me alone with his parents, and then turned to them. His father smiled kindly at me, and his mother tried to do the same.
 
"So, I haven't asked you yet Sojin. How are you?" Mr. Lee asked me.
 
"Good", I answered.
 
He raised his eyebrows, but not in a disbelieving way. 
 
"If you say so", he said with a smile.
 
I couldn't help but to smile back at him. He actually accepted my answer. He glanced at his wife and then back at me, and smiled, a little mischievously Then he suddenly got up from his seat too, and started to walk towards the door.
 
"Where are you going?" his wife asked.
 
"I'll be right back", he answered.
 
And then he was gone. And I was left alone with Minhyuk's mom. I slowly turned to face her, and she cleared awkwardly.
 
"Well... It's nice to finally meet you, Sojin", she said, trying to smile once again.
 
"You too", I replied, just as awkwardly.
 
"So you met Minhyuk on his first day in school?" she asked.
 
The memory popped up in my mind. He'd looked after me to say sorry about walking in to me. It made me smile, and I nodded.
 
"Yes, I did", I said.
 
She nodded in understanding, and it almost looked like she was about to smile.
 
"Minhyuk has always been good at socializing, even with people he doesn't know", she said.
 
"Yeah, I've noticed", I smiled, looking down at the floor.
 
The room fell silent, and I dared to look up at the woman in front of me. She was looking out the window with a frown on her face. Not like my own mother used to frown, but more like she was worried instead of disappointed. For some reason, disappointment would've been so much easier to take.
 
Minhyuk's POV
 
When I came back, I found that mom and Sojin was alone in the room. The silence was a little awkward, but it wasn't bad. I had to smile at the relief in both of their faces when I walked in and disturbed the non existing conversation. 
 
When it was time for Sojin to leave, my parents stood in the background to let the two of us talk undisturbed. They'd already said goodbye in the living room.
 
"See? That went great!" I told her.
 
She gave me an uncertain look, but didn't say anything.
 
"Seriously. It went great", I said, this time with a serious tone.
 
She looked at me and then cracked a smile at the failed attempt at trying to sound stern. I smiled back at her and then leaned in to give her a quick kiss.
 
"Walk home safely", I said, as she opened the door.
 
"I promise", she smiled.
 
I watched her for a while, just to see that she actually got going, and then I closed the door with a smile on my lips. I turned around, and I immediatly got eye contact with mom. She had a look on her face that seemed so familiar. Too familiar. And then I realized. It was that look.