Thank You

And Then You Came Along

 

Sojin's POV
 
As soon as I stepped out of the hospital, I took a deep breath. To get rid of that horrible hospital smell was almost a bigger relief than actually getting out. Dongsung held a protective hand on my back, like he was afraid that I was going to break, and mom was walking behind us. I didn't know where we were going, but I was too tired to ask anyone. 
 
When we were sitting in the taxi, I rested my head against the car window. It was early morning, and it'd been three days since I last was outside. Minhyuk had visited me everyday, making sure that I was okay, and Dongsung had been there the whole time. Mom had been in and out, rushing to meetings with dad or getting something to drink. My parents didn't seem to get to a conclusion, but I didn't bother to think about that. It was their problem, not mine.
 
We were staying at a hotel. It was fancy, so I guessed that dad had payed. That was a little surpising, knowing how he was with his money. But then again, he couldn't really not pay for it, since we were his family. 
 
"Well, that was the last bag. I'll be in my room if anyone needs me", Dongsung said, putting my bag down on the floor. 
 
I nodded and gave him a small smile. He smiled back, but it didn't quite reach his eyes as he looked between me and mom. The two of us would be sharing room, and it was a bit awkward. With one last smile, Donsung finally walked out of the room, leaving me alone with the woman who'd raised me. She was sitting on one of the two beds, looking around the room. It made me wonder when she last had been outside the house before I went to the hospital. Her eyes suddenly met mine, and I froze on the spot. She tried to smile, but it came off as a grimace.
 
"How are you feeling?" she asked hesitantly.
 
"Good", I answered, nodding to add to my answer.
 
It got quiet again, and mom dropped her gaze to the floor. She looked like she wanted to say something, and I waited patiently for her to burst.
 
"Are you ever going to forgive me?" she asked in the end, looking up at me.
 
I looked back at her, processing the question. 
 
"Yes", I answered after a moment in silence. "But it's not going to be for your sake. I don't have the energy to keep staying angry at someone for something they did, so in time, I'll forgive you. But only for my own well being. If you want things to get better, you're going to have to try better."
 
Never before had I told mom so many things at once, and never had I said anything so true. She looked at me for a moment, and then gave out a tiny smile.
 
"You know what? You're being too kind. To all of us", she said.
 
"Too kind? Or smart? I don't believe that revenge will give me any feeling of justice, so it's just better if I just let it go and let life catch up with the rest of you", I replied.
 
I couldn't really believe that I actually stood there and said that to mom. The woman I respected, despite everything. And it looked like mom couldn't either. Reality is hard.
 
Minhyuk's POV
 
"Are you sure you want to do this?" I asked Sojin carefully.
 
She nodded and smiled at me. Anyone who saw her could tell that her nose had been broken, but it didn't make her any less beautiful than she was. It actually just increased her beauty. I sighed and looked at the building in front of us. She was insisting on going to school, even though it would be fuly understandable if she didn't. 
 
"It's you choice", I said, and begun to walk. 
 
Even though she was persistent to go, she still kept close to me as we walked through the doors. My muscles immediatly tensed up, unconsciously getting ready for any kind of attack. Her abusers hadn't been seen by me or my friends the earlier week, but you could never be too sure. But it never came anything. Just a few silent whispers, but no other kind of recognition. But when we'd walked a few meters, someone came running into me, and I almost backed into Sojin to get some space. Ilhoon took a few steps back, not apologizing to me, and then attacked Sojin instead. If it weren't for the fact that I knew how he hugged people, I would've thought that he was trying to stangle her.
 
"You're okay!" he breathed, and then backed to look at her.
 
I did the same, and had to bite my tounge to not laugh at her perplexed look. Changsub came walking up to us, giving her a smile.
 
"Nice to see you're back on your feet", he said, earning a shy smile. 
 
Quickly after, the rest of them came, all greeting her happily. Sojin's cheeks grew redder and redder for each word she was told, and I couldn't force a smile away from my face. 
 
"You know, for being such a small person, you're pretty tough", Peniel grinned at her. 
 
I catched his eyes, and we exchanged a small nod. I then smiled hugely, and he smiled back. He was right. She was pretty tough. 
 
After a few minutes of chatting, well, the guys talking to Sojin without getting a reply, I managed to get the two of us out of their grip. By that time, Sojin was completely red in the face, and she tried extremely hard to not smile.
 
"Well, they missed you", I said in a light tone.
 
She looked away with embarrassment. Atleast things was beginning to get better. When we stopped at her locker, I leaned against the one next to her's, and waited for her to get her things. But for some reason, she'd frozen, just standing there and staring at her locker. 
 
"What happened?" I asked, standing up straight.
 
I got no response from her, so I looked at her locker, just to get a shock.
                                
Loser
                                                                  Ugly
                                                    Nobody
                                                                   Die
Beautiful           
              Get better
Come back soon
                                                        Sorry
 
 
 
All over her locker, apologizes was carved in, and even wishes for her to get better. My lips parted in a huge smile, and looked at Sojin to see her reaction. Tears was building up in her eyes, and she put her hand over . Without thinking about it, I reached out my hand and whiped away the tears that had escaped down her cheek. Even though it wasn't time for any of that, I couldn't help but notice how soft her skin was. Her eyes found mine, and I smiled softly at her, and before I knew anything else, she was in my arms, hugging me tightly. My arms reacted before I did, and I patted her on the back, hushing her silently. She felt so fragile in my arms, that I almost got scared that I would break her.
 
"Thank you", she mumbled into my chest. "So much. For doing this."
 
"Thank you for letting me", I replied.