Broken Trust

And Then You Came Along

 

Sojin's POV
 
There was something wrong. I'd understood that the moment I'd heard Minhyuk's voice over the phone, wondering if we could meet up. Not sad, but almost empty. But even if it scared me more than anything, I didn't ask him about it. If he wanted to, he would tell me when the time was right.
 
The place we met up was the same as the first time we hung out outside school. At the park. He was already there, sitting down on a bench. He was staring down at the ground, his hands clasped. My footsteps slowed down naturally when I saw him, and the uneasy feeling that was so familiar built up in my chest. He must've heard me, because he raised his head and stared me straight in the eyes. A faint smile appeared on his lips, and he patted on the spot beside him.
 
"Hi", he said when I sat down.
 
"Hi. Is something wrong?" I asked, unable to keep the question inside.
 
He looked at me for a moment, before he shook his head. But it wasn't enough to convince me. 
 
"How are you?" he asked, trying to sound casual.
 
"I'm fine", I replied, watching him cautiously.
 
He nodded and looked the other way, like he was trying to find something to say. It wasn't like him to be so absentminded. I looked down on his hands, and put my own hand over them. It made him jump a little, and he looked back at me. I smiled, and he actually smiled back at me. He raised one of his hands, keeping the other under mine, and me over the cheek.
 
"You're pretty", he said quietly.
 
My face heated up, and I looked down to escape his gaze, that was somehow more intense than usually. 
 
"Thanks", I mumbled.
 
"No, really. I said it before, but I don't think that you really understood it. I think that you're the most beautiful girl I've ever seen. I've thought so since I saw you for the first time", he said, the words just flooding out of his mouth.
 
I was taken aback by the sudden confession. He seemed shocked too, but he didn't show any sign of regret.
 
"A-and you are really one of the strongest persons I know. But you're really frustrating too", he said, looking at me.
 
"Minhyuk-"
 
"No. Please, just let me say this. I have to say this", he said, almost begged.
 
I looked at him and closed my mouth. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, his hand taking a grip of mine. He opened his eyes and looked me in the eyes.
 
"I haven't known you for too long, but I do know you the most. That's at least what I tell myself. And to be honest, you know the most about me too. You were first person I really spoked to when I came to school, even if it were just one word. And ever since then, you've had me. And I don't want anyone else but you, and that's why I hate that everything just goes wrong."
 
I just stared at him. I didn't really know how to react to what he had just said. Minhyuk watched as I processed his words, and for a moment I thought I could see tears in his eyes. 
 
"Minhyuk, what's going on?" I asked after a while, my voice quiet.
 
Minhyuk's POV
 
What was I supposed to say? No matter how I put it, it wouldn't make things better. Her face showed every emotion she felt at that moment. Worry, sadness, happiness and surprise. Fear. My voice got stuck in my throat and I pressed her hand tightly in a desperate try to make her understand.
 
"Minhyuk?" she repeated.
 
There was so much I wanted to say to her, but one thing I had to tell her.
 
"You know I moved a couple of months ago?" I asked, going slow.
 
"Yes?" she answered, looking more confused by the second.
 
"Well... It's not the first time I've moved. Actually, I've moved a lot", I said, watching her carefully.
 
Sojin blinked once, her expression completely blank. If she understood, she was hiding it extremely well.
 
"Because of my mom's work, we're forced to move around for her to be able to keep working", I continued.
 
With those words spoken, she seemed to realize what I was talking about.
 
"W-what are you saying?" she asked with a shaking voice.
 
I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, trying to prepare myself for what would happen. As soon as the words were spoken out loud, it would be a fact. 
 
"I'm moving."
 
The silence just kind of took over, and when I opened my eyes, I found that Sojin was just staring at me. Her hand was limp in mine, and I raised the other to do something about her numbness. But before I could, she stood up and stared at me. Not with anger, but with denial.
 
"Sojin, I-"
 
"I got to go", she said quickly.
 
Before I could stop her, she had turned around. She begun to run, and even if I knew that she wouldn't stop, I stood up and yelled after her. The people that was around turned to give me disapproving looks, but I didn't care about them. All I could focus on was Sojin and the fact that I had let her down.