Forgiveness

And Then You Came Along

 

Sojin's POV
 
We walked down the hall, walking as close that was possible without actually touching each other. Minhyuk was doing all the talking since I was still in a state of shock from the new words carved into the locker, but I was slowly beginning to return to reality. 
 
When I was about to go into the class room, the principal's secretary came running up to me. She was a small woman, looking very stressed and nervous normally.
 
"Jung Sojin? The principal wants you to come to his office", she breathed.
 
I looked at her while she was trying to catch her breath, and quickly went through the reasons to why the principal would want to talk to me. The reason was kind of obvious, but what exactly was there that he could say that I hadn't already heard? But I couldn't just not go, so when the secretary had recovered from her running, I kindly followed her. 
 
The principal was a middle aged man with thinning hair and an airbag. I'd only seen him during the speeches he had in the beginning of the school year's, and it was my first time sitting face to face with him. He looked at me with a pitiful expression that made me feel uncomfortable, and the clock on his desk was unusually loud. The ticking was the only sound that could be heard in the room, and I prayed silently that he would say something. And he did, after a couple of moments in awkward silent.
 
"Well, Sojin. All I can say is that I'm awfully sorry about what happened. Nobody should have to go through something like that", he said, leaning on the desk.
 
The only response I gave him was a nod. I didn't even believe that he had known who I was before I got beaten down.
 
"And I want to tell you that we absolutey do not accept this kind of behaviour here. So Lee Kyunwoo and Kim Chahyo, with all the other student's involved, got expelled. They are no longer attending to this school, so you won't be seeing them here ever again."
 
It was like getting a punch in the head. They got expelled? Without me actually saying anything about it? Guilt filled my chest, but my stomach felt relief. They wouldn't be able to touch me again. The principal watched me carefully as I took the news in, and when a few minutes had passed without me saying something he opened his mouth again.
 
"But I still want to take this chance to tell you that you also did wrong. You should've said something to someone, Sojin. Then this wouldn't have gone so far, and you could've avoided this", he said, putting on a serious mask.
 
My hands unintentionally clenched into fists in my lap, and I bit my tounge to not let any inappropriate words come out. Sure, I could've said something, but who would've listened? But instead of saying that, I lowered my head and nodded. 
 
"It's good to know that you understand. Now, it's only one more thing I want to talk with you about", he continued, getting a careful tone in his voice. "Since you've been through some stuff, I and your mother feel that it would be good for you to see a counselor. Just one or two times to check if you're actually fine, for your own safety. How does that sound?"
 
A counselor? Well, that didn't sound... too bad. To actually get to talk out about everything might be a little relief. 
 
"Good", I answered quietly.
 
The man's face lit up in relief and let out a happy sigh.
 
"Very good. You'll see him after school today, his office is just a block away from here. You'll know it's right when you see it", he said, suddenly talking fast and hurriedly.
 
"Okay", I answered.
 
"Good, good. You can go to class now."
 
Understanding that he wanted me out of my way, I obediently got up from my chair and walked out of his office. The news about my class mates getting expelled was still hard to adapt, and I didn't know whether I should be relieved or guilty.
 
Minhyuk's POV
 
"A counselor?" I asked in disbelief.
 
Sojin nodded calmly as she took a bite of her food. I watched her as I thought it over. Maybe it was a good thing for her to go to one, but I was highly suspicious about that principal. It was like he only did it to get to feel good, like he had done a great job. But he had expelled those worthless pieces of dirt. That was a plus.
 
"And you're fine with that?" I asked.
 
She looked at me for a moment while she thought it over, and eventually nodded. We were sitting in the cafeteria, and the guys around us either ignored our conversation or didn't listen. I looked at Sojin for a moment, and she looked back, smiling slightly. I was trying to see whether she was just telling me that she didn't mind, or if she really didn't. But before we could exchange any more words, a quiet voice interrupted.
 
"Sojin?"
 
Both of us turned around in our seats to see that Sunny girl standing there. My eyes darted to Sojin, to see what kind of reaction she'd gotten.
 
"Yes?" she answered quietly.
 
Sunny seemed like she was searching for the right words, opening and closing several times before she got a sentence out.
 
"I'm so sorry."
 
That was when I noticed how quiet it had gotten. Not just around the table, but in the whole cafeteria. Everyone was either looking down or staring straight at the two girls. Sojin looked at her, and slowly stood up. For some odd reason, I almost thought that she was going to slap Sunny, but she did something even more surprising. She hugged her. With not words. I froze in my seat, not really knowing what to do with the situation. After a couple of seconds, Sojin pulled away from the hug, still holding the other girl's arms, and looked at her.
 
"Thank you", she said, and I could see on her cheek that she was smiling.
 
I don't think anyone except Sojin herslef understood her actions in that moment. But one thing that I did know was that I'd never admired someone as much as I admired her right then and there. Not even my own father. 
 
Sojin's POV
 
First person who actually had done something wrong and apologized sincerely. Sunny. That girl who'd almost said something to me while I was trying to cool down those burning marks on my arms, but chosen not to because she was too scared of what could happen. And she'd been the first to say sorry face to face. Mom's apology didn't count, it was way too much left to fix in our relationship before I could forgive her. But Sunny, I could give a second chance.