Like Father, Like Son

And Then You Came Along

 

Sojin's POV
 
Minhyuk was more clumsy than usual, saying things that didn't make any sense, and almost tripping over his own feet more than once. But I liked it. It made me feel less useless, knowing that he wasn't perfect. We walked around in the park for a while, not really talking about anything, until I gathered my courage to break my quiet language.
 
"Do you like living here?" I asked him, in lack of something else to say.
 
He stared at me in surprise, and I couldn't help the blood rushing up to my face. What kind of question was that? But the startlement faded away from his face, and got replaced with a warm smile.
 
"Yes, I do. A lot actually", he answered, dropping his gaze to the ground.
 
"You do?" I asked in surprise.
 
He chuckled quietly at my distrustful tone.
 
"Yes, I do. And it's mostly because of the people here."
 
He looked at me, and I immediatly looked away. My cheeks was burning, and I could feel my heart racing. It was ridiculous, really. He wasn't meaning me specifically, but it still felt like he did. 
 
"How about you? Do you like living here?" he suddenly asked me.
 
I couldn't stop myself from looking at him, and he looked seriously back at me. I bit my lip and looked down at my feet.
 
"It's alright", I mumbled, not wanting to talk about it.
 
"Really? You really enjoy your life here?" he pushed.
 
I pressed my lips together. He sighed, letting me know he was disappointed.
 
"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say that", he apologized.
 
"It's okay", I answered shortly.
 
We walked in silence, and the awkwardness was obvious. 
 
Minhyuk's POV
 
Of course. I had to mess it up, didn't I? My brain worked fervently to come up with something smart to say, to ease up the tension. In the corner of my eye, I could see that Sojin was on edge.
 
"I lied. I don't like living here", she suddenly said, sounding hollow. 
 
I looked at her, trying to read her expression. I t was completely blank, not showing any emotion.
 
"Okay", I answered.
 
There was no need for anything else. It wasn't a secret that she endured serious harassment, so there was no use for me to point it out for her.
 
"Are you hungry by the way?" I asked her, changing the subject. 
 
She looked at me, relief coloring her face. She gave me a small smile.
 
"A little", she admitted. 
 
I smiled brightly at her answer.
 
"Then let's eat!"
 
It took some convincing from my part to get her to the nearest place where they sold food, but she eventually gave up. When we had bought the food, we went back to the park and sat down on a bench. For a while, the food made the silence comfortable, but when it was all gone and eaten, it became awkward again. One thing I'd noticed though, was how much Sojin ate for being a girl.
 
"Are you always hungry?" I asekd to fill the silence.
 
She looked at me in surprise, whiping some sauce off of . She looked so peaceful it almost made me smile.
 
"What?" she asked in confusion.
 
"Well, everytime I see you eat, you eat like you've never seen food before", I joked.
 
Her cheeks got red, and she scratched her nose in a try to hide her face. 
 
"I'm not always hungry", she mumbled.
 
"Mhm... You just eat like a full grown man", I said, not being able to hold in a laugh.
 
She looked so offended that only made me laugh harder, and in the end, she gave out a little giggle too. The sound made me freeze, and I stared at her for a moment. Her expression went from happy to insecure. I blinked to get my act together, before I smiled at her to show her that she hadn't done anything. I leaned back, looking up at the sky. It was very blue at the moment. Reflecting my mood.
 
Sojin's POV
 
That was something new. It'd been a long time since I last laughed, and the fact that I'd done it because someone said something about me was all a little bit too ironic. But I'd did. A warm sensation built up in my stomach, spreading out to the rest of my body. I dared to glance at Minhyuk, who was looking up. The warmth increased, and I looked away, hiding my flushed face. He was the reason. For everything.
 
"Do you have any siblings?" he suddenly asked, making me look at him again.
 
"A brother. Why?" I asked.
 
"No reason. Just something new that I know about you now", he said, looking at me with a mischievous smile on his lips.
 
"Oh... Well, do you have any siblings?" I asked.
 
"Nope. I'm the only child", he answered simply. "But I'm not complaining. More attention for me."
 
What were supposed to be a joke, cut like a knife. More attention for the only child. Without me thinking about it, my lips formed a bitter smile.
 
"What's wrong?" Minhyuk asked, noticing my expression.
 
"Nothing", I answered, forcing the bitterness away.
 
We looked at each other for a moment, before he shrugged and stood up. 
 
"It's getting a bit cold. We should go somewhere warm", he said, stretching a little.
 
"Where?"
 
He looked down at me for a moment, before he grinned. 
 
 
"Are you sure? I don't want to... Be in the way", I said, looking at the house in fornt of us with doubt.
 
"It's fine. My dad needs some new company anyways", Minhyuk answered, beginning to walk towards the door.
 
I looked after him, around me, and then I followed him. When we stepped inside, I looked around. It looked so different comparing with my own house. It looked homely. 
 
"Dad! We're home!" Minhyuk shouted, taking his jacket off.
 
Footsteps appeared, and soon, a man showed up in a doorway. He looked kind, with little hair on his head and laugh lines around his eyes. He looked at me with surprise, before he smiled warmly.
 
"Well, hello there! You must be Sojin. My son have told us alot about you", he said, making me blush.
 
Next to me, Minhyuk squirmed uneasily, and I had to bite my tounge to not smile. 
 
"Yes, that's me. Nice to meet you", I replied to his father, bowing just like I did to dad's colleagues.
 
"Pleasure's all mine. Well, don't just stand there, come in!" the man said, motioning for us to come further in. 
 
Minhyuk walked first, and I followed close after him. When I passed his dad, we exchanged smiles. I could see where Minhyuk had gotten his smile from. And his kindness.