Goodbye For Now

And Then You Came Along

 

Minhyuk's POV
 
"Okay, that's the last box", dad said and closed the trunk.
 
I sighed and felt heavy at heart. Mom was inside the house, searching for anything forgotten. 
 
"How are you feeling?" dad asked when he saw my expression.
 
"Not very good", I admitted.
 
Dad gave me a compassionate look and patted me on the shoulder. When he dropped his hand, his eyes focused on something behind me, and his lips formed a small smile.
 
"Your friends are here", he said.
 
I turned around and saw all of them, including Sojin, walking towards us. Even she was walking a little on the side, I could see they were all trying to include her into the group. A mix of happiness and sadness built up in my chest, and I walked to meet them halfways.
 
"So, you're really going to leave us, you bastard", Ilhoon said. 
 
"I'll miss you too", I replied. 
 
He grinned and then pulled me in for one of his violent hugs. I patted him, a little harder than necessary, on the back to make him release me, and he did when he'd almost killed me. 
 
It all took time to say goodbye to all six of them. And when I once was done, it was only one more person left that I had to speak with. I met eyes with Sojin, who smiled faintly at me. Someone cleared his throat.
 
"We'll be... over there", Eunkwang said.
 
I saw how they walked further away from us in the corner of my eye, but I didn't look away from Sojin. She slowly came walking up to me and wrapped her arms around my waist as I hugged her tightly. 
 
"It'll be okay", I whispered when I felt my shirt getting wet.
 
She just nodded and tightened her grip. The tears burned in my own eyes and closed them to prevent crying. I would've given the world to just stay there and not leave. But it wasn't possible, and in the end, I had to open my eyes and take a step back. She looked up at me through tears, but her facial expression was weirdly composed. It might sound weird, but I'd never met someone that could look so beautiful when crying before Sojin. My eyes catched a glimpse of something in the sunlight, and I looked down at the chain around her neck. I smiled slightly and took it between my thumb and index finger. 
 
"Remember", I said.
 
She nodded and placed her hand on mine. 
 
"Promise", she replied.
 
I smiled and nodded too, before I leaned down to kiss her. It was salty and wet, and a little awkward since I could feel several eyes on us, but it was the last one for some time, and I wanted it to last. This time, it was she that pulled away, and smiled slightly at me.
 
"You have to go. Your parents are getting impatient", she said, her voice slightly shaky.
 
A sharp pain stabbed my heart and I furrowed my brows before I gave her a peck on the forehead.
 
"Well, goodbye for now then. I'll call you when I'm there", I said.
 
She just nodded, and I backed away. My friends across the road waved and shouted their last farewells and I waved back at them. It was definitely one of the hardest things I'd ever done.
 
Sojin's POV
 
I just stood there, in the middle of the road, and watched the car drive off. My hand was gripping tightly on to the chain as I tried to smile at Minhyuk, who was waving through the window. But the tears streamed down my face and I felt like my heart had been ripped out. The only thing that kept me from falling to the ground was the thought of him returning. He had promised. And if there was one thing I knew about Lee Minhyuk, it was that he kept his promises.