Unknown

And Then You Came Along

 

Minhyuk's POV
 
There was something really weird with that girl. But not weird in a bad way, it was intriguing. Her arm felt very fragile in my arm, so I loosened my grip a little, but still held it, just so she couldn't get away. Sojin. That girl was something special, I could feel it. When we had walked for a while, I realized that I didn't know the way. I stopped and turned to her, finding her staring down at the floor.
 
"Uhm, you know, I still don't know the way", I said, smiling sheepishly. 
 
She nodded, and slightly motioned that she wanted her arm back. I reluctantly let go of her, and she turned left, making me feel even more stupid. I caught up beside her, happily walking next to her, and looked at her from time to time. She was really beautiful. Her hair was as black as could be, and it fell down to her waist, not one single curl in it. Her skin looked almost completely white, with an undertone of pink on her cheeks. Or maybe that was her blushing. But it was also something that was off with her. Her way of walking was almost as if she tiptoed, trying to make as little sound as possible, and she had her shoulders pulled up the slightest. Suddenly, she stopped. 
 
"There's the cafeteria", she said quietly, pointing towards an entrance.
 
I looked at it, and then at her.
 
"Aren't you going to eat?" I asked.
 
She shook her head, almost desperately. "I'm not hungry."
 
I looked at her for a moment, but decided to let her go. 
 
"Okay, well, thanks. See you around", I said and smiled at her, waving a little.
 
She nodded and then abruptly turned around. I watched her thin figure walk away, before I walked into the cafeteria. It was pretty big, and alot of people was having their lunch. 
 
"Ey, Minhyuk!" I heard a voice call, and when I turned to look in the direction of it, I saw Ilhoon wave at me from a table.
 
I'd met Ilhoon during my math class, we sat next to each other, and he was pretty cool. I waved back at him, and he motioned for me to come over. I nodded, but took some food first. I was actually hungry, that wasn't just something I had told Sojin. When I came up to the table, Ilhoon motioned for me to sit between him and a kind-looking guy.
 
"Hi", I greeted him as I sat down.
 
"Hay. So you found you way here after a while?" Ilhoon asked me, stuffing in food in his mouth.
 
"After a little help, yeah", I confessed.
 
I looked around the table. Except me and Ilhoon, there were five other guys stitting there. One of them, a blonde dude, gave Ilhoon a look.
 
"Ilhoon, shouldn't you introduce us?" he asked, sounding like a mom.
 
Ilhoon looked at him, with his cheeks filled with food.
 
"Mwh?" he asked, not being able to create a real sentence.
 
"Never mind", the blonde sighed, turning to me. "I'm Eunkwang."
 
"Nice to meet you, I'm Minhyuk", I smiled.
 
Eunkwang smiled back, suddenly looking like a mischevious kid. The transformation amazed me.
 
"This is Sungjae", he said, putting a hand on the guy's next him shoulder.
 
Sungjae looked up in startlement of the movement, and I smiled at him. He smiled back, with food stuffed in his mouth.
 
"I'm Changsub", the guy next to me said, smiling calmly at me.
 
"Hello", I greeted him.
 
"Hyunsik", a guy next to Ilhoon said.
 
I nodded and smiled to him too, and then turned to the guy between Sungjae and Changsub.
 
"I'm Peniel", he said, waving with his hand, not looking up from his food.
 
"Okay, nice to meet everyone", I said.
 
They all seemed like cool guys. Ilhoon suddenly started to cough like crazy, and Hyunsik started to pat his back.
 
"I've told you to not eat so much food at the same time!" Eunkwang scolded him, returning to his mother role.
 
I watched the scene with amusement, before I turned to Changsub, who seemed like the calmest one. He smiled at me when he noticed that I was watching him.
 
"Hi", he said.
 
"Hi. Uhm, not to sound creepy or anything, but do you know a girl named Sojin?" I asked, wanting to find out more about her.
 
He thought it over for some time, until he shook his head.
 
"No, I can't remember someone with that name. Why?" he said.
 
"She was the one who helped me find here. Are you sure you don't know her?" I asked.
 
"Yep, pretty sure", he answered.
 
"Oh. Well, do you know her?" I asked Sungjae, who'd been watching us.
 
He shook his head and swallowed his food.
 
"Nope."
 
"Nope what?" Peniel asked.
 
"If I know a girl named Sojin", Sungjae answered.
 
Everyone around the table got silent as they thought it over, but all of them had the same answer. None of them knew who she was. That made me even more curious.
 
Sojin's POV
 
1...
2...
3...
4...
5...
And the air filled my lungs again, making the burning sensation go away. I gasped for more air, and heard the laughter around me. I felt someone pull my hair, making my head jerk back. 
 
"You should just disappear", the voice hissed in my ear, before my head got thrown forward so violently that I almost hit it in the toilet rim.
 
I heard the door into the toilet open, and then the footsteps and laughter disappearing away, leaving me on the floor. I stared down at the water in the toilet, tightening my grip around the toilet rim. Why? What had I ever done to them, making them hate me so much? The cold water from the toilet mixed with hot tears in my face, and I took a shaky breath. The lunch break would soon be over, and I couldn't be late. I stood up, smoothing out my skirt, before I walked out of the booth. I walked up to the mirror, looking at my soaking wet face. My hair was pasted on my face thanks to the water, and I it out of the way. Atleast they hadn't given me any visible damages, so I wouldn't be forced to hide them from my parents. I took a few tissues, beginning to dry up the water. The thought of my parents finding out about my social status was terrifying. For them, it was incredibly important with success. If you're going to do something, do it perfectly. Or don't do it at all. That was their motto. The words brought a grim smile to my face, as I tried to dry up the water from my shirt. It was impossibly to get completely dry, so I pulled up my damp hair in a ponytail. I hated having my hair pulled up. It made me feel even more vulnerable, even more left out for the others to pick on me. But I didn't have a choice unless I wanted the teacher to notice it. I looked at my reflection, whiping away some tears that had escaped, and straightened up. Pull yourself together, Sojin, I thought to myself and smiled a fake smile to myself, before I left for class.