Engagement Dinner

Problems with Prearranged Marriage

 

Here is another chapter! The idea just sort of came into me so I thought it would be good to type it down first.

Anyway, extended the concept of "Prearranged Marriage" to Taestal as well. I hope you all will like it.

Enjoy! :)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Well, as you all know, Choi Minho is notorious for his competitiveness. *Laughs* I will not say anything like ‘oh he’s actually not as competitive as you all describe him as’ since there is no way that you can argue for the obvious *laughs again*. However, as one of Minho’s close friend, I will have to say that definitely, Minho is not just one sided. Apart from his ultimate competitive side *laughs*, there is also this soft side of him that only his close friends would discover in him. Thus, I have absolute confidence that he will definitely be a good husband and fiancé to the girl that he is engaged to. Here, I wish blissful days ahead for Minho and Choi Jinri.” Jonghyun ended his speech for “Know more about Choi Minho” segment of the dinner.

“Thank you for the amazing speech. Wow, this definitely introduces a new Choi Minho that we are all unaware about.” The emcee said. “Now, we have Kang Ji Young to introduce our female lead, Choi Jinri.”

“Annyong everyone,” Ji Young started her speech with a simple greeting. “I have known Sulli, who is also Choi Jinri, for some time since we have been classmates and best friends for many years. I know some may based on her appearance conclude that she is slightly aloof. Well, I will admit that she tend to be rude to most people.”

“Cool, so that’s the Choi Jinri that your friend sees you as,” Minho laughed, “Aloof and rude.”

“So you think being an ultra competitive freak is better?” Sulli rebutted.

“Yahh! I was just making a casual comment. What’s with the hostility?” Minho raised his voice.

“Mine was also a casual comment. Why so serious?” Sulli replied while glaring at him.

“Stop your glaring!” Minho replied. It’s giving me nightmares. Minho thought to himself.

“However, this is because you have not known her well enough. The true Sulli is kind, thoughtful, helpful and definitely loyal to her friends, and I’m being serious here, she can be too nice to the extent that she tend to give more than receive.”

“Ji Young…” Sulli muttered to herself, rather touched at Ji Young’s words. She never knew that she could sound like such a great person from another’s mouth.

“So I believe that if the other person is 100% true to her, she would be 200% true to him too.”

Minho would not deny that he was slightly stunned upon hearing Ji Young’s speech. Now it seems that this Jinri is a very true person. He turned back to see her twirling her fingers together, though he isn’t really sure it is because she’s touched by her friend’s words or she’s nervous for the upcoming happenings.

“Therefore, as one of Sulli’s close friends, I hope that Sulli’s fiancé will treat her like a princess and not let her down in any way. Or else, my bunch of friends and I will haunt him down. *laughs* Lastly, I wish them everlasting marriage.” Ji Young ended with a bow on stage.

A tear trickled down Sulli’s left cheek. She lifted up her head to prevent further drops of tears from trickling. Minho could not bear to see her acting that way, so he went to her and held her hand tightly, and then brought their hands to brush off the tears on her face.

“Thanks.” Sulli smiled.

“No problem.” Minho replied, not knowing how to act around this Sulli who appeared less aggressive and more…soften.

“Let us welcome the new engaged couple, Choi Minho and Choi Jinri!” The emcee announced. It was the queue for them to formally enter the dining hall. Minho and Sulli looked at each other and nodded. The brown door then opened to reveal the duo standing outside the hall. They then made their way across the path to step up to the stage. In front of them greeted a 3 layered white cake.

Geez, everything is seriously like a wedding dinner. Minho thought to himself. This is making me feel so weird. After all, shouldn’t an engagement dinner be simple, like just eating and announcing our engagement? He thought to himself. He turned to look at Sulli once again. He is actually curious about how she is feeling right now.

“Sorry…sorry…” Krystal finally found her seat in the midst of the crowd after bumping into several seats. She took her seat quickly, not wanting to disturb the engagement dinner, and then focused on the stage.

He stared in disbelief. Is that Krystal Jung, for real, sitting opposite him? Taemin couldn’t believe his luck. After all the failed attempts in finding her after their coincidental meeting along the street, she appears right in front of him?

Krystal, still not aware of Taemin’s presence, sighed while staring at the stage. She started to think to herself: how would we be like if I had not run off? Would we have such a dinner as well? Would you like it?

There were mixed feelings inside Sulli. As much as she doesn’t like the guy that she is engaged to, she couldn’t deny that the engagement, or rather, the wedding-like engagement dinner still made an impact on her. After all, it was her first time, first time imagining a person by her side she would call ‘her fiancé’ or ‘her husband’, judging at how much the entire engagement preparation were likened to a wedding. Just when Minho was staring at her, she turned to look at him as well. That moment, they both knew that no matter what, they would have a special place in each other’s heart. It need not be love, or to be more exact, it wouldn’t be love, but maybe this bit of emotion that cannot be easily explained.

They put their hands together on the plastic knife and proceeded to cut the cake. Roars of applause flooded the hall as they made their cut on the cake. He smiled. So did her.

Finally Krystal turned back towards the table and reached out for the glass of water. It was then she saw him seated in front of her.

How could it be? I must be thinking too much. She threw aside her thoughts and ignored his presence.

“Krystal.”

She turned back to where he was seated. So he was real, and not just part of her imagination, or simply someone who resembled him? She became flustered as the only thought in her mind is to run away from him. She got out from her seat and ran for the exit door. Taemin ran after her.

Once again he caught hold of her before she could run fast enough.

“Krystal, stop running away from me.”

“Lee Taemin, what do you exactly want me to do? Don’t you want to annul our marriage as well? Isn’t what I’m doing now according to your wish?” Krystal shouted at him.

She isn’t exactly wrong. I don’t want this marriage to tie us down. But for some reason I just wanted to find her when she’s gone. Taemin thought to himself.

“Of course not, my dad insisted that I find you back and…we carry on with the marriage.” Taemin replied.

“So what’s your opinion about this? You want us to be married as well?” A glimmer of hope held in Krystal’s heart. Maybe, there is a special place for me in his heart.

Taemin thought for a moment. “I don’t believe in marriage. I don’t believe that love can last.” He announced his stand.

“Great. Then stop looking for me.” Krystal was about to leave when his grip still continued, tight.

“No. I need you to cover for me.” Taemin explained.

The last hope she had held on so tightly shattered with his words. “Right, so you just want us to be married, so that they will not bother about your playboy life.” Krystal explained in her own perspective.

Why does she sound so bitter about this? Taemin thought to himself. However, he did not bother to read deeper her words and emotions. “Yes.” He replied.

“Fine, I will agree with your plan if you can convince me. But before that, leave me alone.” He froze for a moment when he saw the tear that was making its way down Krystal’s cheek. That same moment, Krystal wrung his grip off her and made her exit.

Stop crying Krystal! She mentally chided herself. Now you know his stand. He never liked you. He never did! Now you see it clearly!

“Stop being such an idiot. Get over him Krystal Jung!” She told herself. He crashed her last hopes, and now she has decided that she would get herself over him.

Taemin returned to his seat looking rather lost in thoughts. That particular image kept flashing in his mind. He didn’t know why, but it gripped his heart so badly when he saw her tear.

Finally the engagement dinner came to an end.

“Minho, Sulli, here are the keys to your new house. Do spend the night there tonight. We will bring your belongings there tomorrow so you don’t have to go back home anymore.” One Mrs Choi handed the keys to Minho.

“Yes. The night is precious. Do have fun.” Another Mrs Choi complemented.

What new house? Minho’s mind was filled with a thousand questions. Why are the parents always coming up with all the weird events?

Sulli glanced at him and reckoned that he has no clue about the new house yet.

“Basically, we are going to live together. That’s what they’re saying.” Sulli explained.

“Live together?” Sulli nodded in response and sighed.

“Minho, you just need to drive Jinri to the new house. We can make our own way back.” One Mr Choi continued.

“Don’t worry about us.” Another Mr Choi complemented.

Alright then, Minho thought to himself. He then led Sulli to his car and opened the front seat door for her.

“Wow, never seen you acting like a gentleman. This is the first time!” Sulli laughed.

“Yahh! Just get on the car!” Minho replied with slight annoyance, yet also with slight happiness. For once he gets praised by his fiancée.

They then made their way to their new house, bringing along the blessings by their fellow friends and parents.

What will tomorrow brings? Or what would happen at night?

Until now, nothing is certain.