CHAPTER 21- Out of tune

YOU'RE MY SUPERSTAR [HIATUS MODE]

“Some things might be hard to remember, but most things are hard to forget…”

    

     It was almost lunchtime when Jieun went to the library and asked Myungsoo for help.

     Myungsoo was organizing the bookshelves by carefully placing all the old books alphabetically.

     A familiar voice called out his attention.

     “Kim Myungsoo!”

     “I just noticed that visiting here is slowly becoming a habit of yours, what is it this time?” his voice seems full of sarcasm but still holding that grin on his face.

     Jieun approached him and grabbed a book to help him.

     “Have you ever experienced being stalked?” she whispered.

     “Stalked? That’s the most absurd thing in this world, only popular celebrities like you can have that- DUHH!” he snatched the book from her hands.

     Then he rolled his eyes and uttered, “It’s not like you don’t know these things, right? You were a great stalker too before, so stop acting all innocent.”

     Jieun then followed his steps, “I do stalk a lot, but being stalked is the scariest thing ever. It’s like somebody’s always looking at you everywhere.”

     Out of nowhere, Woohyun suddenly butted in to their conversation.

     “It’s not like Myungsoo didn’t experience having a stalker at all.”

     Jieun approached him “Myungsoo  have been stalked before? Woooahh! Why am I not surprised? Tell me more about it.”

     Woohun then told her about Myungsoo’s stalker during their high school days.

     “If I can still remember, her name is Go Hae Mi. She’s one of those odd girls in our school before. “

     Myungsoo cleared his throat.

     “Then what happened?” Jieun excitedly asked.

     “This Hae Mi girl used to stalk him a lot. She even tried to get into our section just to see him every day. In the cafeteria, library, deck floor, gym - she would always be there just to take a glance at Myungsoo’s face.”

     “One day, she decided to confess her feelings for him. She usually would give him letters with a red heart stamp and different gifts. But at that day, she gave him a box containing a cake personally baked by her, and of course, with the heart stamped letter.  She handed the letter personally to Myungsoo but he ignored it.”

     “WHAT? YOU IGNORED THAT GIRL’S HEART? YOU ARE SOOO COLD AND INSENSITIVE!” Jieun felt affected.

     “Shall we continue or rant instead?” Woohyun asked.

     “Oooppss, sorry.  Please continue.”

     “She begged at her knees for him to read the letter. So he read the letter out loud and everyone who heard the confession laughed at her. Even after being humiliated, she still hold her tears back and told Myungsoo that her feelings will never change until the time she’ll be able to make him fall in love. The end.”

     Myungsoo closed his eyes tightly feeling so sorry after reminiscing the scene.

     “And I am so sorry to her, if only I could see her again, I will try to apologize for that childish act I did before.” he sadly said.

     “But, the damage has been done. I think she’ll try to kill you next time.” Jieun was imagining weird things.

     “Well, I deserve that. I just hope she’ll forget those things.” he can just release a sigh.

     Myungsoo then raised his eyebrows then gazed towards Jieun.

     “YA! Why are you suddenly talking about stalkers? Do you have sasaeng fans? How can that happen?” he asked.

     She looked pissed.  “That student over there follows me everywhere. “

     “You actually have a stalker? That’s great!”

     “WHAT THE HECK IS GREAT ABOUT THAT?”

     “Uhhmm…well, at least somebody got blinded over you…”

     She grabbed a book and threw it to Myungsoo.

     “I hate you!”

 

     After weeks of promoting the song “Nagging”, it’s finally IU’s goodbye stage at Inkigayo.

     “Jieun, congratulations in your consecutive wins these past few weeks!” Inkigayo’s PD greeted her at the backstage.

     “Thank you so much!” she bowed at him.

      While walking in the corridors, a long haired girl passed by her without even greeting. What’s worst is the way she bumped Jieun as if it was intentional.

     “YAHHH!!” She shouted at her but the girl didn’t even dared to turn back at her and apologize.

     Kids these days are pissing me off.    

     Jieun then continued walking and searched for her companions.

     “Where did they go?  Are they too busy to leave me alone?”

     She searched for her clothes in the dressing room and found a box neatly tied with a red ribbon. Due to her extreme curiosity, she opened the box and saw a simple decorated chocolate cake.

     Pretending to ask permission, she then decided to eat the boxed pastry. “Is this for me? Thank you for the food! I’m going to eat it now.”

     After a few minutes, she then felt like choking and throwing up the food in her stomach.

     “I feel so sick, I can’t understand why.”

     Jieun felt difficulty in breathing and then collapsed into the floor.

    

     “Ok, sir. Thank you for your hard work. I’m going to tell Jieun your greetings.”

     Myungsoo bowed then went straight to the dressing room

     I wonder if that dummy’s here now.

     As he opened the door, he saw scattered stuffs on the floor and was shocked to see Jieun lying there unconscious with a small piece of cake beside her.

     He hurriedly approached her and lift her up into his arms, gently slapping his face to check for her consciousness.

     “Jieun-ah! Jieun! Wake up! What happened to you?”

     “Jieun!! J-Jieun!- ”

     Even after several minutes of trying to wake her up, Jieun isn’t responding so Myungsoo ran towards the entrance and hysterically asked for help.

 

     Finally, the ambulance came and they were trying to do their best to bring her to the nearest hospital as possible before it’s too late.

     Myungsoo didn’t know how to act. He was panting, trying to gasp his breath while sitting beside his friend.

     “Jieun, wake up or else- AISHHHHH!” deep inside, he was about to cry from too much shock.

     In the Emergency room, the nurse approached Myungsoo who was waiting at the lobby.

     “Excuse me sir, do you have any idea what happened to the patient? It seems like she ingested something poisonous.”

     “I-I don’t know. I just saw her lying unconscious on the floor and I saw a piece of cake beside her body.”

     “Did you bring the piece of cake with you?” the nurse asked.

     Jieun’s makeup artist handed the box of cake to the nurse and then they gave a sample of it to the laboratory for testing.

    

     After an hour, the doctor confirmed that Jieun’s condition is now out of danger. Myungsoo hurriedly went inside the ward to know if it’s true. As he walked towards her bed, he can’t help but shed tears from too much worry. He sat beside her and her hair.

     “I thought you’ll die! That’s not fair! You should never leave me, we‘re still under your contract, right?

     Jieun’s fingers moved a little, enough to make Myungsoo smile in assurance.  

 

     Behind the curtains of the cubicle, a mysterious long haired girl was watching them. She was following them from the broadcast station, staring at them from afar.

     The girl whispered to herself, “I thought you’ll die. I was supposed to take the cake back."

     Then she smiled, " I’m glad you’re ok” and walked away.

 

To all my new subscribers and supportive readers, thank you for anticipating the story! I love you all *hugs*