CHAPTER 14- Rhythm of Change

YOU'RE MY SUPERSTAR [HIATUS MODE]

 

     “Hmmm...So, where should we start your transformation?” the stylist asked.

     “What concept suits her?” Sungyeol was digging into his thoughts.

      “Aegyo?”

      Jieun looked up the ceiling then imagined. Without second thoughts, she shook her head.

      “y?”

      Myungsoo swallowed hard, “Oh please, not that one! That’s disgusting!”

      “Why? Am I not y?” Jieun complained.

      Sungyeol chuckled a bit. “Next concept please...”

      “Why not her real self?”,Myungsoo scoffed.

      “Yeah! That’s it! I’m more comfortable being myself” Jieun agreed.

      Sungyeol agreed too with the concept and they all proceed to choosing Jieun’s screen name. He believed that the “random girl” should be finally named, but her name Lee Jieun would just be an ordinary one to be recognized by fans.

     “I want something more appealing...something more stylish.”

 

       The staffs suggested names:

      “Sarang (Love): so that fans won’t forget their love for her.”

      “Lee Eunji: a scrambled Jieun name”

      “IU: You and I together in one music”

 

      Sungyeol browsed the names suggested and found one interesting name.

      “IU...You and I together in one music, fantastic!” he read out loud.

      “I, U- You being yourself, that’s the concept right? It’s not a bad name though.” Myungsoo agreed with his ok sign while eating ramyeon noodles.

     “Next, we need to transform your ordinary look into a star.”

     Without resting, Jieun followed her endless itinerary- TV guestings, photoshoots, recordings, promotions.

      “I thought being an artist is easy, who knew it could be this tiring? I only slept for two hours and it was even interrupted!” Jieun puffed her cheeks while talking to her reflection in the mirror.

     Myungsoo suddenly entered the dressing room. He pinched Jieun’s cheeks and mocked at her, “You were the one who chose this...no regrets huh?”

     “Ouch! Shut up!” she yelled then yawned exaggeratedly.

    

    Back at the studio, Sungyeol looked at his checklist.

 

     HAIR- check!

     MAKEUP- check!

     AEGYO TRAINING- check!

     DRESS REHEARSAL- check!

     PHOTOSHOOTS- check!

     RECORDINGS- check!

     MUSIC VIDEO- check!

                                                                                 

     “Great. She’s almost ready!”

      After a week, Sungyeol decided to give Jieun a day to break away from all the stressful preparations. He allowed her to go shopping while being accompanied by Myungsoo.

     Myungsoo and Jieun wore their ordinary clothes, so that they won’t catch attention from the public’s eye.

     “Hey, let’s walk right in front of those music stores! I’d love to look at those new albums released.” Jieun said.

      Myungsoo thought of an idea. He dared her, “I wonder how many music stores would play your song.

     “Are you underestimating me, Kim Myungsoo? I’ll make them play my song even if I beg in front of them.”

      Jieun accepted the challenge right away and walked towards all of the music stores.

      “Hello! I’m IU. Have you already heard my newly released song ‘Good Day’? Please play it for me. I’ll sing anything for you! Thank you!”

     “Can you sing ‘Lies’ by Bigbang for me?”

     “How about ‘Officially Missing you’?

      “And ‘Gee’?”

      Jieun approached a guy performing nearby and borrowed a guitar from him. Then she sat in front of the store, strummed the guitar and sang:

 

     Lies by IU: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0ndTosuP9c

     

      She happily performed the song and several bystanders and shoppers suddenly gathered around her. They stopped and grabbed their phones to record her own version of ‘Lies’.

     After the performance, everyone applauded for her and ask for another song. Then she performed “Officially Missing You”

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFKke_7TmlY&playnext=1&list=PLC725558D42AD0C8E&feature=results_video

 

     Then she performed lastly, “Gee” by SNSD. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vQ9Uu8Xrm8

 

     Fangirls and fanboys cheerfully waved at her, then asked for her autograph and picture.

     Myungsoo stood at the back secretly smiling, amazed by her witty ways, “Aigoo! This girl never ceased to amaze me!”

     After an hour, all the music stores simultaneously played her released song, “Good Day” which gained lots of positive responses from the netizens and fans.

 

     “Good Day got stuck in my head!”

     “It’s my favorite song nowadays!”

     “It sets my mood…3 thumbs up!”

     “Nice song, random girl!”

     “I’m excited to see her debut on stage!”

    

HEADLINE: RANDOM GIRL IS NAMED ‘IU’

 

     Since that day, Jieun kept on receiving support messages. She can’t believe how everyone appreciated her even before her debut.

     “IU is such a unique name for her unique voice!”

     “IU, please receive my love! I’m a fan!”

     “IU, I’ll support you all the way!”

    

HEADLINE: IU’S “GOOD DAY” SWEPT ALL MUSIC CHARTS WITH AN ALL-KILL!

 

     Several minutes before IU’s debut stage, Sungyeol showed her the good news.

     “Woah!! All no.1 in Melon, Soribada, Olleh Music, Monkey, Bugz, Mnet! You’re really phenomenal! Congratulations, IU!” Sungyeol excitedly told her.

     Jieun responded with a forced smile. Something is going on with her. Is she nervous?

     “Jieun, what’s the matter? Are you not feeling well?” Sungyeol tapped her shoulders and told her to relax.

     “It’s nothing, I’m just…can I really do it?” she shyly asked.

     “You can do it! Believe me, I trusted you that’s why you should also trust yourself.” he replied.

     One of the program staffs hurriedly went inside and said, “In 5 minutes, we will start her debut stage so get ready.”

      “Are you ready?” Sungyeol asked.

     “I think I should be…” she held a deep breath and smiled.

 

      All set…Lights! Camera! Action!

     “Hello everyone! I’m 2pm’s Wooyoung”

     “And I’m SNSD’s Yoona!”

     “And this is MUSIC BANK!”

     “Now, let’s welcome the random girl who amazed us with her great vocals and charming looks…HERE IS…IU!!”

     Dazzling lights.

     Blinding brightness.

     Jieun sighed and breathe deeply.

     This is the moment I’ve been waiting for. I should not fail them.

--Oh wait, before this day ends...I would like to once again greet TAEYEON HAPPY HAPPY 25th BIRTHDAY!!! *lots of hearts for you Taengoo!!*