The New Friend

What Is The Saddest In Smile?

The morning was awkward. I got up from the sofa difficultly and pushed the blanket away. I was all alone at home. That gave me creeps. Then I saw a glass of orange juice and some sandwiches with cheese and ham on my small coffee table. By the plate was a note... "Sorry for leaving you alone, I have some work to do! Stay in the house, Jonghyun will take care of you. He'll come at 2 in the noon. Eat well..   Jung Yong Hwa" I smiled to the note and took a sandwich from the small plate. Then I noticed my bag lying by the sofa.

Cold sweat running from my head to my back and giving weird creeps. I opened it and took Vivien's clothes out of it. A file dropped at my feet. Documents from the hospital... My signature, telling that I take no responsibilities for the accident that killed Vivien Sheila O'Brien. I don't have any financial or physical responsibilities for her funeral and I can come only to say goodbye. The so called funeral will take place in the hospital graveyard at 15.30.. I looked at my mobile clock. It was 12.45 and I had time to revise a bit until Jonghyun comes. I cleaned the table and slowly with numb legs went to the sleeping room to take my books and copy-books. It took me 15 or more minutes to make that adventure and come back to the sofa. I started studying... But couldn't concentrate on the books. It was impossible to keep the tears. They were dropping on the paper, on my knees and soon I started crying my eyes out! Finally alone, finally time to break all the fences that kept me away from tears and sorrow. The table was pushed away, the books, pens, papers, pillows were on the floor and I was beating myself on the floor, hysterically hitting the floor with my fist. How long did it last?

My face was all wet, my hair looked awful, now I was just lying on the cold floor and looking at the ceiling, thinking about nonsense. Tik-tok, tik-tok... The clock was ticking as loud as it could to make me stand up and look at it. I slowly turned my aching head to it and saw that it was already 14.20. Oh ! Jonghyun can come every minute. I collected all my strength and without any difficulty got up and walked easily...

How come? I could move as fast as I could... Feel my legs. I jumped and it wasn't very hard. I laughed to my movements and ran all over the room crying out that everything is going to be ok! That amazing feeling was interrupted by a hard knock at the door. I ran to open it. It was Jonghyun. He was looking straight at me and smiling. So strange. He was weirdly calming and so.. handsome. I forgot how to speak. I just stepped away and let him enter. Jonghyun looked at me standing on my feet. 

"You... You can walk again??" - He was smiling, while taking his shoes off. - "That's amazing!"

I made some steps closer to him and back again. He laughed and handed me a small gift bag. 

"It's for you! I hope you like it!" - Jonghyun stood behind me while I opened the gift bag. There was a necklace. I took it out. It was silver star, with a note on it - 'trust'... I turned back and smiled to Jonghyun.

"Thank you, it's really great, but I feel like I don't deserve it..." - I said avoiding eye contact.

"I want you to trust me, I know you need friends, someone to rely on! You need help! And i will be by your side whenever you want me to be!! I promise, trust me!" - he came closer and took the necklace from me. He put the necklace on me and his cold hand touched my shoulder. I flinched and my heart started beating faster. Jonghyun cleaned his throat. When he took his hands away I couldn't turn to him. i was stuck where I was standing. Then I remembered about the funeral. I was going to ask Jonghyun to take me to hospital, but right when I started talking my cell phone rang. I went to the table and looked at the number... It was unknown. Who could that be? Jonghyun sat on the sofa and looked at me stealthily. I answered the phone. 

"Yes?" - I don't know why but I started in English.

"Grace! What the hell??? I can't reach you! Why didn't you call me??" - The voice spoke and i could hardly recognize my niece.

"Mary???? What the... Is.. is that really you??" - I started talking like I was talking to someone very-very important.

"Of course it's me! Who you were expecting??"

"No one, but how did you find my number?"

"You sent your number to your parents but they said that they have no time to call you, so I did!! I miss you!!!" - Mom and dad have no time to even call me to check if I'm still alive... That's so stupid.

"Oxford college misses you silly! when will you come back?" - She was as cheerful as she always was. Nothing could break Mary down...

"Never..." - I said in a low voice, afraid of my niece's reaction.

"What?... Did something happen? I know you hate being asked about your life, but anyway I'm your sister and I.."

"Vivien died 2 days ago..." - I said and quickly stopped. Let everything pass as fast as it started...

"I'm coming to Seoul with first flight... Meet me tomorrow in the airport..." - She hang up before I could mumble anything. 

Tears covered my eyes again... Now they were hot and salty, and I covered my mouth with my palm and silently started crying. Jonghyun ran to me and held my shoulders and asked what happened. I turned my head away and blinked the tears away. I didn't want him to see them again. Jonghyun looked at me and hugged me tightly. That completely stopped my tears. 

"I will be your friend forever! Don't cry please! Be strong! Tell me what to do and I will do it." - He said while hugging me tightly and holding my head with his hand.

I gently pushed him away and looked at the clock. I need to be in hospital graveyard at 15.30.

"Jonghyun... Can you take me to city hospital?" - I asked him standing very close to him.

He nodded and I went to my room to change my clothes. After 15 minutes we were in a taxi. Jonghyun was sitting by me. I was getting nervous. Can I handle it? Can I look at Vivien's corpse? Jonghyun slowly took my shaking from fear and nervousness hand and squeezed it to calm me down. How strangely we got this close to each other in two days? Like we knew each other so long... Thank you Jonghyun... I trust you!