Law #17 - Follow Your Gut.

Once Upon A Time.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 18; Law #17 - Follow Your Gut.

Sooyeon's POV

 

I woke up to the smell of bread and butter.

I opened my eyes slowly, feeling the soft glare of the sun hit my cheeks. Strangely enough, I felt comforted. It seemed like I had just woken up from a dreamless sleep that seemed to last for days. To put it simply, I felt a hell lot better.

And then it hit me. The last thing I remembered was the colour red. I vaguely recalled wanting to puke and punch the damn Queen in the face, too. I shot up from my sleeping position and then a wave of giddiness hit me, resulting in me tripping over my own damn feet onto a mess on the floor.

A string of colourful words escaped my lips and I groaned. That could have went better, I mused and sighed to myself. Quickly, I noted that I was in fact not tied to anything and I was lying on a hard Middle-Ages-excuse-of-a-sofa, with no queer woman looking smugly down at me. Conclusion: The person who carried me was not remotely evil, nor was he or she the Queen.

That was good then.

As carefully as I could, I tip-toed around the small house to find its owner but evidently, the person was not in the house. Unconsciously, I placed a heavy ceramic plate - when the hell I picked that up, I would never know - back in the kitchen. You could never be too careful, anyway.

I went to what I assumed was the front door and gingerly pushed it open, pleasantly surprised at finding it unlocked. What a considerate kidnapper - I mean, rescuer of mine.

Be grateful, you .

I will not say anything to the likes of you, conscience.

My ears picked up on the sound of loud thuds and I raised an eyebrow in curiosity. It sounded like something was being chopped.

Which could be bad for me, but anyway.

I took a peek from behind the door and I blinked at the sight of a young man, dressed in white-stained-gray pants. Only white-stained-gray pants, if I may add.

Huh. Men.

I continued to observe him, slightly intimidated at his tall frame. From what I've expertly observed - that is, he definitely was nicely built - he could take that axe and slit my throat in a heartbeat.

Let's not be pessimistic, dear Sooyeon.

I decided to not make judgement of him too soon. Weirdly enough, I did not find it uncomfortable. I could have brought the plate with me in case he tried anything, but I did not think the man meant any harm. A woman's intuition is never wrong, or so I've heard.

Please don't jinx yourself.

Now look who's being pessimistic, conscience?

I was about to step out of the house when the man spun around suddenly, as if awoken from a daze. He had stopped cutting wood for a while now, and I jumped at the sudden movement. Mentally, I cheered myself on and convinced myself to be brave.

After all I've been through in this place, I wouldn't be surprised anymore if the man were to, oh I don't know, turn into a werewolf or something. Or Edward Cullen. Or better yet, Song Joongki. (A/N: A Werewolf Boy, anyone?:"D)

All that mustered up courage dissolved like salt in water when I met his gaze. His eyes were deep and penatrating, but strangely mysterious. As soon as he registered my presence, the harsh exterior drained from his face and his expression relaxed considerably. From what I could tell, he just seemed awkward. Which was so much better than him being a serial killer.

I stepped out of the house and let the door close behind me, awkwardly fidgeting with my dress (which I still have not changed, mind you. I was pretty sure I smelled like the sweaty males after gym class in high school.). He turned to me fully so I could see his front body, and he let his lips curl ever-so-slightly in greeting. I had no idea what to say, so when he opened his mouth to speak, I was eternally grateful.

"Hello, milady. I hope you don't mind, I saw you out cold in the woods and thought it best for you to rest here," he started, his voice startlingly mellow. "My name is Kai."

He walked towards me and I noticed belatedly that he was pretty good-looking. I was too preoccupied at his back muscles  intimidating exterior to notice it, of course. He bowed and I followed smoothly, not realising my expression was guarded.

"You don't need to worry, I assure you," he said quickly, taking a step back. I blinked at his actions, wondering if I intimidated him.

Yeah, a tiny girl whose only actual scary points are when she wields her needle and thread.

I belatedly let out an uncomfortable smile, but a smile nonetheless. He seemed to ease up after seeing my expression change, and I took my cue.

"My name is Sooyeon."

 

----

 

Narrator's POV

 

"Thank you for saving me."

"It was my pleasure, milady."

Awkward fidgeting. Fingers tapping against an empty cup that used to be filled with water. Hands running through hair.

"Uh-"

"Well-"

They both started at the same time, and they looked at each other and coughed uncomfortably. Kai gestured for her to go first, and she let out a somewhat forced laugh.

"Um, how long was I asleep for?" she inquired, keeping her eyes on his politely.

"About a day or so, perhaps."

At this point, Sooyeon's mouth formed an 'o' and she frowned, suddenly remembering her partner in crime, Daehyun. In hopes of driving away the awkwardness and finding her partner, she asked him, "Have you seen a dusty-haired male anywhere, maybe? He's about your height or shorter, and he's new in town..."

She sighed internally when Kai shook his head after a moment's deliberation. It was worth a try, anyway. But then Kai spoke and her eyes lit up at his suggestion.

"I could help you look for him in town..."

Sooyeon was about to say she would appreciate his help, but she noticed the reluctance in his eyes. She did not think it was rude or he did not want to do it, rather something was stopping him from doing it. Her eyes narrowed slightly at his peculiar behaviour, and she somehow just knew he had to be a fairytale character that she had to help.

She had made up her mind. "It's fine, Kai. I'm sure I'll come across him soon enough."

 

----

 

"So, you're a woodcutter?"

Sooyeon weighed the axe in her hands, impressed at its weight. She handed it to him and he handled it easily after pulli

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter