Law #9 - Be Independent.

Once Upon A Time.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 10; Law #9 - Be Independent.

 

Narrator's POV

 

"Hello, dear," a voice penetrated Sooyeon's thoughts as the latter turned to the source of the voice. She was greeted by a young woman, mid-20s, perhaps, dressed in a regal purple gown. Sooyeon curtsied, masking her perplexed expression. 

"Walk with me, sweetheart," she smiled and Sooyeon followed, having a hunch on who she was. Sooyeon flashed a half-hearted smile, slightly wary of the woman before her.

"Of course, your Highness."

"I trust you know my son?" she began, her voice taking on a melodious tone. She looked in Daehyun's direction, where he was smiling and - was he flirting? - with the other ladies in the crowd. Inwardly, Sooyeon rolled her eyes, unsurprised. She diverted her attention to the woman, whom she guessed was the Queen, and spoke up.

"Yes, I know him. He's quite the prince," 

The woman chuckled. "That he is," she replied. "He's going to take the throne someday."

Sooyeon looked at the Queen's expression out of the corner of her eye. She frowned at the latter's expression. Something about the way she said 'take the throne' irked her, but she quickly masked her suspicion when the Queen turned to her once more.

"Do me a favour, darling. Please stay here tonight, I'd like to get to know you a little more," she said. "I want to know who exactly my son has an interest in. I'm afraid I don't know much about my son these days, so it would be a pleasure to spend... a little more of my time with him."

 

 

That same night, in the Prince's chamber.

 

I'm the Prince now. Right. That's no big deal. Daehyun thought to himself as he fidgeted awkwardly under the gaze of the supposed 'Queen'. The elder woman scrutinized him carefully, before her impassive face morphed into one of a bright expression.

"My son!" she cried, and practically glomped him. "You've finally fallen in love!"

Daehyun blinked and his hands unconsciously hugged the elder's short stature, although with hesitance. "Um-"

"I see it! I see it-" she pulled back, and then after a brief pause, she leaned her face close to his as if to prove a point. "Your eyes have a slight shine to them today."

You only saw me today, Daehyun sweatdropped, and then remembered that he was in another fairytale then. Well then who am I in love with?

"...Mother," he chose carefully, "I'm afraid I'm quite lost-"

"Oh don't be such a male," she scoffed, and Daehyun blinked at her direct insult. "Men are so dense. It's that girl! The one you danced with, boy! In that beautiful blue dress."

"Sooyeon?" he asked absentmindedly, and his 'mother' grinned in what sort of looked like malicious glee.

"So that's her name..." she trailed off, "Wonderful! Just peachy! Here's the plan, darling.

"She sleeps in a room tonight, dear. A special one indeed." Smiling, she held up a small, green object.

"..A pea-?"

"We put this under a 100 mattresses, son, and if she doesn't feel it, she's not for you."

The information hadn't sunk in yet, and Daehyun blinked.

In 3, 2, 1-

"...WHAT?!"

 

---

 

"It's one of her whacky theories, apparently." Daehyun rubbed his temples, speaking about the 'pea' idea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter